Recent Disney Flops at the Box Office: A Closer look

Mr. Friscus

Diamond Member
Dec 28, 2020
1. "Lightyear"
the film also came under fire in the weeks leading up to its box office release, as word spread that the film included scene featuring a kiss between two women who are lesbians. That fire turned into an explosion for some fans when a PIXAR representative said the studio would not be removing any part of the scene. But the decision may have cost PIXAR in the end. Lightyear was ultimately a huge failure, earning $267 million at the box office against total production expenses of $373 million, awarding PIXAR a $106 million bath.

2. "Strange World"
Another focal point of the film has to do with a scene in which 16-year-old Ethan tells his grandfather, Jaeger, about his crush on another boy, and while same-sex crushes and relationships are not uncommon topics in films anymore, critics of the film point out that the discussion of sexuality within a film created for children “certainly didn’t help the film’s box office fortunes.” Strange World is considered a box office flop, as it garnered only $165 million in revenue. The film cost $180 million to make, and with advertising costs and other associated expenses, Strange World, from start to finish, cost Disney more than $317 million to produce, meaning the film saw losses for the studio of more than $152 million.

So let's do the math:
"Lesbian kiss for children" Lightyear: $373 million in production, $267 million in revenue = a $106 million loss.
"Boy Crush" Strange World: $370 million in production/advertaising, $165 million in revenue = a $152 million loss.

I don't remember Aladdin or Toy Story bombing this bad. I'm sure this is all coincidence though.. right guys?

1. "Lightyear"
the film also came under fire in the weeks leading up to its box office release, as word spread that the film included scene featuring a kiss between two women who are lesbians. That fire turned into an explosion for some fans when a PIXAR representative said the studio would not be removing any part of the scene. But the decision may have cost PIXAR in the end. Lightyear was ultimately a huge failure, earning $267 million at the box office against total production expenses of $373 million, awarding PIXAR a $106 million bath.

2. "Strange World"
Another focal point of the film has to do with a scene in which 16-year-old Ethan tells his grandfather, Jaeger, about his crush on another boy, and while same-sex crushes and relationships are not uncommon topics in films anymore, critics of the film point out that the discussion of sexuality within a film created for children “certainly didn’t help the film’s box office fortunes.” Strange World is considered a box office flop, as it garnered only $165 million in revenue. The film cost $180 million to make, and with advertising costs and other associated expenses, Strange World, from start to finish, cost Disney more than $317 million to produce, meaning the film saw losses for the studio of more than $152 million.

So let's do the math:
"Lesbian kiss for children" Lightyear: $373 million in production, $267 million in revenue = a $106 million loss.
"Boy Crush" Strange World: $370 million in production/advertaising, $165 million in revenue = a $152 million loss.

I don't remember Aladdin or Toy Story bombing this bad. I'm sure this is all coincidence though.. right guys?

That you're way off/lying is not a coincidence....

Lightyear:

1685238286636.png

It was a marginal movie that recouped it's budget and then some.

And yet they have 2 of the 4 top grossing movies this year, odd how you only focus on the bad....why is that? Did them making a black mermaid trigger you that much?

1685238415066.png

Movies with gay characters or storylines are going to suffer financially. They cannot be distributed world wide. Too many countries forbid the gay theme.

I watched both movies and the only thing I was was those two female astronauts give a quick little kiss.
I never noticed anything "woke" or "gay" about Strange World.

I actually thought they were both pretty good. Although Lightyear could have either had a stronger storyline or had been cut back a bit.
It seemed like they were adding a lot of filler to stretch that movie out.

And yet they have 2 of the 4 top grossing movies this year, odd how you only focus on the bad....why is that? Did them making a black mermaid trigger you that much?

View attachment 789376
I saw Ant-man and the Wasp and it wasn't very good.
I haven't seen Guardians 3 yet, but the second one sucked ass compared to the first.....and I don't hold out much hope for it.
Disney is turning good ideas into bad movies.
They spend too much time trying to be clever and trying to force their sick ideology down our throats.
I think they could be making twice or three times as much if they just tried to produce a good product instead of a lesson on how to live a fucked up life.
Most of their income is due to curiosity, but after people have been burned enough they'll stop giving Disney a chance.

1. "Lightyear"

2. "Strange World"

So let's do the math:

Time and time again good wholesome non-political agenda driven movies kick ass at the box office...still these companies want to push their politicsl messages and agendas...they end up bombing and losing money.

More and more of them just want to be 'Bud Light' ... no matter the consequences.

I saw Ant-man and the Wasp and it wasn't very good.
I haven't seen Guardians 3 yet, but the second one sucked ass compared to the first.....and I don't hold out much hope for it.
Disney is turning good ideas into bad movies.
They spend too much time trying to be clever and trying to force their sick ideology down our throats.
I think they could be making twice or three times as much if they just tried to produce a good product instead of a lesson on how to live a fucked up life.
Most of their income is due to curiosity, but after people have been burned enough they'll stop giving Disney a chance.
I'm done with them.

Forum List

Back