Fun Quiz: 1 in 50 people can name "these" women

usmbguest5318

Gold Member
Jan 1, 2017
D.C.
Only 1 in 50 People Can Name All These Famous Female Figures - Fun Quizzes!

Those women were/are famous mainly due to their contributions to pop culture as actors/performers. Others are notable for having made genuine contributions to humanity and/or womanhood. Quite a few of the women in the former class may be known to people by name, but not by their face because they didn't live in a certain period.

For example, I could walk to where Helen Keller is entombed and, frankly, I no more knew what she looked like than she knew what anything looked like. The only way I was able to correctly choose her was by using other clues in the photo. But for knowing what Miss Bardot looked like "back in the day," I'd have never known. What I'm getting at is that the quiz is nearly as age dependent as it is dependent on one's knowledge.

Another example....

There are a couple of the pinup girl photos of an actress named Hedy Lamarr

9eb4f9be518fcd0e8f2d2645876eded4.jpg

hedy-lamarr-pin-up-1104828296.jpg

And this is a clip from a movie in which she starred. It's among the first screen portrayals of an orgasm; it may be the first.

Hedy Lamarr's greatest contribution to humanity has nothing to do with acting. She invented/discovered what is referred to as frequency hopping. What's that all about?

On August 11th 1942, U.S. Patent #2,292,387 was granted to Antheil and "Hedy Kiesler Markey", Lamarr's married name at the time. This early version of frequency hopping, though novel, soon met with opposition from the U.S. Navy and was not adopted.

Lamarr was dismissed as people apparently struggled with the possibility that both exterior beauty and intellectual genius could co-exist in the same human life form.

Lamarr was instead encouraged to use her popularity and fame to help sell war bonds rather then help with military technology. Intent on helping to defeat the Germans, she did so, and managed to raise the incredibly high amount of $7,000,000 dollars in one single fundraiser event.

Patent #2,292,387 expired without being exploited and it was not until 1962 when it was used by US military ships during a blockade of Cuba after the patent had expired. Anheil never lived to see the use of his ideas, as he had already died in 1959. One might never imagine that mechanical pianos would play a role in cutting Fidel Castro off from foreign supplies, but it was indeed the invention of Lamarr and Antheil that laid the foundation for this important piece of technology. Lamarr's work was honored in 1997, when the Electronic Frontier Foundation gave her a belated award for her contributions.

So how might you be using Lamarr's invention if you are most probably not operating a torpedo or guided missile as we speak? Well In 1998, an Ottawa wireless technology developer, Wi-LAN Inc., acquired a 49% claim to the patent from Lamarr for an undisclosed amount of stock. Hedy Lamarr died in Florida in 2000 at the age of 85 and lived to enjoy the benefits of her brain-child.

Lamarr's and Antheil's frequency-hopping idea today serves as the basis for modern spread-spectrum communication technology, such as GPS, Bluetooth, COFDM as is used in Wi-Fi network connections, and CDMA that some cordless and cell phones use. So whether you are reading this article on your mobile phone or your wifi enabled computer, it somehow links back to mechanical pianos, torpedos and the woman who stood model for Snow White. We at Kvart & BØLGE are definitely indebted to her as most of the music played on our affordable audiophile loudspeakers will in some way or other have been transmitted using her ideas.

dc8464_0121a18c85cb4ba8b42efa0cc2fc88ee.gif

Source
Who thanks Hedy Lamarr for inventing something that lets their cellphones, navigation tools, etc. actually work? More to the point of the quiz/OP, who would recognize her from a photo?

I am 1 in 50...lol

Well done! You are 1 in 50 people who know exactly who these fabulous women are and were. You have your female knowledge down and could give any man a run for their money.

1b3b2b39-53fb-4123-bafb-0edd7bb840b4.gif

Me too.

"Well done! You are 1 in 50 people who know exactly who these fabulous women are and were. You have your female knowledge down and could give any man a run for their money."

:2up:

I think everybody gets a trophy for participation. I guessed at 5, and I don't believe I got all 5 of them right. But I too, am 1 in 50.
Who was the Oprah one?

I'm inclined to agree with you. One of the black women -- a couple non typically American-ish names were given as choices and the woman was dressed in what appears to African garb -- I purely guessed. I had no idea who she is/was and I didn't recognize two of the three names offered, and I knew it wasn't Oprah. LOL

I think everybody gets a trophy for participation. I guessed at 5, and I don't believe I got all 5 of them right. But I too, am 1 in 50.
Who was the Oprah one?

I'm inclined to agree with you. One of the black women -- a couple non typically American-ish names were given as choices and the woman was dressed in what appears to African garb -- I purely guessed. I had no idea who she is/was and I didn't recognize two of the three names offered, and I knew it wasn't Oprah. LOL

Here she is.

f6fc81c9-1758-4f66-80d7-1d71d7689f33.jpg

Either Wangari Maathai or Tegla Laroupe. She doesn't look like Oprah

hqdefault.jpg

I went with Wangari because Laroupe looked like a halfway-Spanish name. I later looked it up and found that Laroupe is a misspelling of Loroupe. It is Wangari.

9efcc925-f104-458f-9c0c-b4443c37ff86.jpg

Helen Keller or Rosa Luxemburg or Simone de Beauvoir?

Simone
de-beauvoir-simone.jpg

Rosa
upload_2017-2-26_23-41-26.jpeg

Helen
image.asp

Shit. I picked Helen, but looking at photos of all three of them, the pictured woman in the quiz could really be any one of them. I figured only a blind woman would let people photograph her in a bathrobe for something other than a "glamour shot," which that photo definitely is not.

Congrats, all you mouth-breathers just handed a company some of your personal information, IP addres, et al, by taking this "quiz" to make yourselves feel special.

Forum List

Back