French Are "Resenting" America's Leadership On Tsunami Relief

So you're saying that the whole population was against the US and wanted them dead right? So like 100% of the people were armed and ready to kill the US for helping them with food, clothing etc... I have a hard time believing that. Try telling that to the population caught between president Ali Mahdi and warlord Mohamed Farah Aideed.
I don't see the Iraqi population on hands and knees thanking you, and as far as I know scenes like the draging of american bodies also happened in Iraq and they wouldn't hesitate in killing US soldiers if they had the chance to. I'm not saying they have the right to...on the contrary. But if you are helping people who hate you gain a better life I don't see how that's different from Somalia.

"The U.N. Intervenes
The United Nations opened an office in Mogadishu a few months after Aideed routed Mahdi's forces. The U.N. Representative realized he was too late to mediate between the two factions, and concentrated on reducing the famine in southern Somalia.

The U.N. Secretary General wanted a more visible role and fired the representative. The new leadership declared Somalia an anarchy, Aideed a bandit, and firearms the problem. The U.N. then embarked on a military occupation of Somalia and an attempt at full disarmament of its population, with the intent of re-establishing a Western-style central government.

The U.N.'s expensive campaign resulted in more violence, as the Somali tribes fought to preserve their traditional systems and their right to self-defense.

On June 5, 1993, U.N. troops attempted to shut down Aideed's radio station because it was broadcasting "propaganda" (that is, anti-U.N. messages). In a victory for freedom of speech, Somali militiamen repelled the attack, in the process killing 23 Pakistani U.N. troops.

The Somalis' successful repulse of the U.N. attack led the United States to commit the lives of U.S. troops to an expensive, bloody, five-month manhunt for Aideed. Dozens of U.S. and U.N. troops, and hundreds of Somalis, were killed. In October 1993, the U.S. ended the search after eighteen U.S. soldiers were killed and some of their corpses dragged through the streets of Mogadishu.

During the weeks from June 5 to October 3, 1993, U.N./U.S. forces inflicted 6,000 to 10,000 casualties on the Somali resistance, said Eric Schmitt in the the December 8, 1993, New York Times. Schmitt confirmed the account with U.S. military intelligence, relief workers, U.N. officials and the U.S. special envoy to Somalia. U.S. Marine Corps General Anthony Zinni estimated that two-thirds of the casualties were women and children."

Agreed--I think Somalia, Viet Nam, Lebanon, etc. have unfortunately given the world the impression that America is a "cut and run" country depending on the whims of politics. If nothing else, Bush is attempting to show the world that we are NOT going to engage in those policies any more. As we gradually covince the world that when we act, we are committed ! Think twice before testing our convictions . In my opinion the US would be justified to sit back and let the rest of the world take care of the Asian crisis if they dislike us so but in spite of taking shit from every corner of the world , the US is there IN FORCE with money and manpower.

j07950 said:
So you're saying that the whole population was against the US and wanted them dead right? So like 100% of the people were armed and ready to kill the US for helping them with food, clothing etc... I have a hard time believing that. Try telling that to the population caught between president Ali Mahdi and warlord Mohamed Farah Aideed.
I don't see the Iraqi population on hands and knees thanking you, and as far as I know scenes like the draging of american bodies also happened in Iraq and they wouldn't hesitate in killing US soldiers if they had the chance to. I'm not saying they have the right to...on the contrary. But if you are helping people who hate you gain a better life I don't see how that's different from Somalia.

"The U.N. Intervenes
The United Nations opened an office in Mogadishu a few months after Aideed routed Mahdi's forces. The U.N. Representative realized he was too late to mediate between the two factions, and concentrated on reducing the famine in southern Somalia.

The U.N. Secretary General wanted a more visible role and fired the representative. The new leadership declared Somalia an anarchy, Aideed a bandit, and firearms the problem. The U.N. then embarked on a military occupation of Somalia and an attempt at full disarmament of its population, with the intent of re-establishing a Western-style central government.

The U.N.'s expensive campaign resulted in more violence, as the Somali tribes fought to preserve their traditional systems and their right to self-defense.

On June 5, 1993, U.N. troops attempted to shut down Aideed's radio station because it was broadcasting "propaganda" (that is, anti-U.N. messages). In a victory for freedom of speech, Somali militiamen repelled the attack, in the process killing 23 Pakistani U.N. troops.

The Somalis' successful repulse of the U.N. attack led the United States to commit the lives of U.S. troops to an expensive, bloody, five-month manhunt for Aideed. Dozens of U.S. and U.N. troops, and hundreds of Somalis, were killed. In October 1993, the U.S. ended the search after eighteen U.S. soldiers were killed and some of their corpses dragged through the streets of Mogadishu.

During the weeks from June 5 to October 3, 1993, U.N./U.S. forces inflicted 6,000 to 10,000 casualties on the Somali resistance, said Eric Schmitt in the the December 8, 1993, New York Times. Schmitt confirmed the account with U.S. military intelligence, relief workers, U.N. officials and the U.S. special envoy to Somalia. U.S. Marine Corps General Anthony Zinni estimated that two-thirds of the casualties were women and children."

No argument from me regarding trying to aid people who dont want it. Let em rot is what I say.

The big difference between Somalia and Iraq, at least in my mind, is that the US was ASKED to go in there by the UN...along with a lot of other nations' military.

As for Iraq...If I were in charge, I would pull the troops out now with this simple warning: "DON"T MAKE ME HAVE TO COME BACK HERE." I would leave Iraq lock, stock and barrel. Then, if I had any suspicion, even the tiniest inkling, that Iraq was harboring, aiding or in way abetting terrorists of any sort, I would level the place... and I do mean level it. Not one shack or mud hut would be left standing. The international community hates the US? Fine. I'll give them a reason as concrete as they'll ever get.

j07950 said:

"The U.N. Intervenes

Why is it that you don't see any "grateful Iraqis" ?

Iraq is harboring, aiding and abetting terrorists as we speak, are you going to level it?
I mean stop using such harch terms and words...doesn't give you a nice image. I agree with certain things but man you're brutal.
Got to go, I'll pick this conversation later...

j07950 said:
I do!!!
Just like there were grateful somalian!!!!

That's not what you just posted--try consistency.

I don't see the Iraqi population on hands and knees thanking you, and as far as I know scenes like the draging of american bodies also happened in Iraq and they wouldn't hesitate in killing US soldiers if they had the chance to. I'm not saying they have the right to...on the contrary. But if you are helping people who hate you gain a better life I don't see how that's different from Somalia

j07950 said:
Iraq is harboring, aiding and abetting terrorists as we speak, are you going to level it?
I mean stop using such harch terms and words...doesn't give you a nice image. I agree with certain things but man you're brutal.
Got to go, I'll pick this conversation later...
Again, if I were in charge, Iraq would have been levelled the first time around. Yes, I am brutal. As brutal as any terrorist that ever walked the planet. I have no compunction about killing my enemies...brutally if necessary.

CSM said:
Again, if I were in charge, Iraq would have been levelled the first time around. Yes, I am brutal. As brutal as any terrorist that ever walked the planet. I have no compunction about killing my enemies...brutally if necessary.
Not so brutal as you think--saddam and the terrorists now in iraq have no compunction about killing their OWN PEOPLE to achieve their own political agendas.

dilloduck said:
That's not what you just posted--try consistency.

I don't see the Iraqi population on hands and knees thanking you, and as far as I know scenes like the draging of american bodies also happened in Iraq and they wouldn't hesitate in killing US soldiers if they had the chance to. I'm not saying they have the right to...on the contrary. But if you are helping people who hate you gain a better life I don't see how that's different from Somalia
What I was trying to say is that at least part of the population was grateful in somalia....the ones cought in the middle of crossfires...same as in Irak.While both countries might want you dead some people still appreciate what u are or did overthere.

j07950 said:
What I was trying to say is that at least part of the population was grateful in somalia....the ones cought in the middle of crossfires...same as in Irak.While both countries might want you dead some people still appreciate what u are or did overthere.

Smells more like a retraction.

j07950 said:

I think an active minority in Iraq want the US "dead" the rest just want to live safe lives.

no1tovote4 said:
I think an active minority in Iraq want the US "dead" the rest just want to live safe lives.
CAn't you accept that that might have been the case in Somalia? I mean the people who killed US soldiers were under the influence of warlord Mohamed Farah Aideed. You can't say that was the case of the whole of Somalia's population, that's none sence juste like in Irak. A lot were and are grateful. So saying things like I couldn't care less if every last somalian died is awful and can't be justified. Where is your humanity and compation for the people who have nothing to do in this and only ask for help?

j07950 said:
CAn't you accept that that might have been the case in Somalia? I mean the people who killed US soldiers were under the influence of warlord Mohamed Farah Aideed. You can't say that was the case of the whole of Somalia's population, that's none sence juste like in Irak. A lot were and are grateful. So saying things like I couldn't care less if every last somalian died is awful and can't be justified. Where is your humanity and compation for the people who have nothing to do in this and only ask for help?

My post was in answer to the way you said, "the entire country may want you dead but some were happy." I simply think that it is a small but active minority that want us dead, some are happy, the rest simply want to live.

I would agree this was the same in Somalia. Most simply don't care who is there, they just want to live.

j07950 said:

Where is the moral compass of your entire nation of moral relativists and communists? The french are evil.

rtwngAvngr said:
Where is the moral compass of your entire nation of moral relativists and communists? The french are evil.
The fuck are you talking about again??? Try and keep up. We're having an intelligent conversations, why do you come in here and insult?

no1tovote4 said:
My post was in answer to the way you said, "the entire country may want you dead but some were happy." I simply think that it is a small but active minority that want us dead, some are happy, the rest simply want to live.

I would agree this was the same in Somalia. Most simply don't care who is there, they just want to live.
Yeah ok I get what you're saying. Happy you understand my point about somalia than. Was it even you that didn't care if the last somalian died? Can't remember.

j07950 said:
Yeah ok I get what you're saying. Happy you understand my point about somalia than. Was it even you that didn't care if the last somalian died? Can't remember.

No. That was not me.

j07950 said:
The fuck are you talking about again??? Try and keep up. We're having an intelligent conversations, why do you come in here and insult?

Because your country is so evil it defines itself primarily by being anti-us, even when we're doing good in the world. This is why I insult, Pepe Van Damme.

rtwngAvngr said:
Because your country is so evil it defines itself primarily by being anti-us, even when we're doing good in the world. This is why I insult, Pepe Van Damme.
Thats not the discussion here...off topic...we've talked about that elsewhere...
And that's an opinion, not a fact.

Forum List

Back