Free speech covers religious speech.

no1tovote4 said:
I don't even know what you are talking about and really I don't care. My scenarios and questions were to get from you the level at which you expected your free speech or freedom of expression to protect you. It sounds like you are at a reasonable level and that your speech would be protected.

Thank you kind sir. Your the one who drew the extreme scenarios, not me. Let's be friends again. Everyone was making me out to be the bad guy, despite their own better sense, for some two bit trick.

rtwngAvngr said:
So a majority decides what free speech is permissible? WHere? In a court of law that is not the case. And in the workplace like joker and ff1 said, they decide.

Funny how much you guys twist logic for some imaginary poon you're never gonna get.

No, if you are fired incorrectly for an imagined slight that a reasonable person would not find offensive you can sue for back wages, etc. And it is why the reasonable standard was so important to my points. The Judge and Jury of a lawsuit determine that standard by applying the concept as I wrote above. It is of course slightly more complex than what I wrote but it is not far off.

JOKER96BRAVO said:
I can think straight...
To put religion in that categorie is not accurate.
No one fights a war over their favorite basketball team.

By law, it is the same category, it's just that the seculartists have warped society to a great extent. Break the psychic hold, man. Be free.

Have you seen the fights after sporting events?

Show me in the constitution where religious speech is not as protected as sports speech.

rtwngAvngr said:
Thank you kind sir. Your the one who drew the extreme scenarios, not me. Let's be friends again. Everyone was making me out to be the bad guy, despite their own better sense, for some two bit trick.

As I said before I don't even know what "two-bit trick" you may be talking about however my scenarios were specifically extreme for a reason. I don't get offended easily and therefore there is no reason that I thought we were not friends. I wasn't making you out to be the bad guy I just wanted to know what your limits were for this and found out through my usage of extreme scenarios.

:)

rtwngAvngr said:
Ok. But this is a different topic. THis is "How much should people chat at work?"
Read a little further...the second half of the post is on topic.

But let's look at another scenario. You take your car to your local mechanic for repair. They're charging you $50 an hour for labor. Any objection if the mechanic takes two hours instead of one because he was having an interesting conversation?

dilloduck said:
No judge or jury on this board----the owner TELLS you what is ok----do you have enough money to fight for your right to speak freely if you choose to take an issue to court----your rights might be limited by your wallet.

My rights may be limited by my wallet, but almost every good lawyer would take your case on a contingency basis if it is clear-cut enough. If you work to apply the standard of reasonable and have a clear case that will be easily won they will take your case without you having to pay them until they win for you.

This board would be more like a house. Our rights are extremely limited and the owner can do as they please within the law.

As an employee you have more rights, even in a right to work state and can often sue if the employer steps over the reasonable line and it can be proven.

dilloduck said:
No judge or jury on this board----the owner TELLS you what is ok----do you have enough money to fight for your right to speak freely if you choose to take an issue to court----your rights might be limited by your wallet.

Two things:
1. The owner of a business can dictate policies.
2. You have the option to go find another job.

*You can bend over backward to get some of that shattered tit milk*I dared crossed she-zilla.*imaginary poon you're never gonna get.*for some two bit trick.

Boy, I hope you feel good & manly right now.. I'm the intolerant ho, but look at the things you've called me above..

Grow up. You're sick.

MissileMan said:
Read a little further...the second half of the post is on topic.

But let's look at another scenario. You take your car to your local mechanic for repair. They're charging you $50 an hour for labor. Any objection if the mechanic takes two hours instead of one because he was having an interesting conversation?

And people have street fights over sporting teams too.

Your mechanic is STILL a different topic. WOuld it be worse if they spoke about god and not basketball? Or would it be THE SAME?

MissileMan said:
Two things:
1. The owner of a business can dictate policies.
2. You have the option to go find another job.

an owner is limited by law as to his policies in the workplace

and yes--I COULD go from job to job to job until someone accepts my BS but in REALITY I probably couldn't afford to do that.

no1tovote4 said:
No, if you are fired incorrectly for an imagined slight that a reasonable person would not find offensive you can sue for back wages, etc. And it is why the reasonable standard was so important to my points. The Judge and Jury of a lawsuit determine that standard by applying the concept as I wrote above. It is of course slightly more complex than what I wrote but it is not far off.

depends. if you live in a right to work state, you can be fired for looking at your boss cross-eyed. you can be fired for wearing black socks with brown pants. you can be fired for ANYTHING with no recourse.

freeandfun1 said:
depends. if you live in a right to work state, you can be fired for looking at your boss cross-eyed. you can be fired for wearing black socks with brown pants. you can be fired for ANYTHING with no recourse.

You can be fired for anything except things that are protected by law. Either Federal or State. If it can be proven that you fired somebody incorrectly and that they were protected by specific laws such as anti-harrassment laws etc. you can be sued regardless of the right-to-work status of your State.

Shattered said:
Boy, I hope you feel good & manly right now.. I'm the intolerant ho, but look at the things you've called me above..

Grow up. You're sick.

You called me worse, for stating the legal truth. Your hatred of christianity is disgusting. Go worship satan or something or crystals or whatever.

freeandfun1 said:

Exactly !!------why do you think discrimination laws were invented ??

So you could say you were REALLY fired for a different reason !!

Shattered said:

Grow up. You're sick.

Ah I see now, it was you he was so upset about...

Well Lady Shattered, you have created controversy. :D

no1tovote4 said:
You can be fired for anything except things that are protected by law. Either Federal or State. If it can be proven that you fired somebody incorrectly and that they were protected by specific laws such as anti-harrassment laws etc. you can be sued regardless of the right-to-work status of your State.

any halfway intelligent employer would know that you never give a reason, you just fire em.

no1tovote4 said:

If you call abject idiocy and intolerance, controversial, sure. This just adds to her movie star allure, I guess.

rtwngAvngr said:
And people have street fights over sporting teams too.

Your mechanic is STILL a different topic. WOuld it be worse if they spoke about god and not basketball? Or would it be THE SAME?

The original question was: "How much time should your employer be forced to allow you to chat instead of work?". That somehow got morphed into sports chat vs religious chat.

rtwngAvngr said:
You called me worse, for stating the legal truth. Your hatred of christianity is disgusting. Go worship satan or something or crystals or whatever.

I haven't called you a single solitary name prior to the "intolerant ho" crack from you.

Oh, and I don't believe in Satan, either.. Nor do I believe crystals have "magic powers".

no1tovote4 said:

Usually happens when you flirt a lot---ends up pissing off someone.

Forum List

Back