Free speech covers religious speech.

Shattered said:
If it's two employees who are off the clock, and they choose to spend their break time discussing religion, that's their perrogative, and none of my business. They're not forcing me to become a part of it, and I can clearly leave the break area.

I'm discussing customers coming in to my place of work for one order of business, and then cornering me prior to leaving, physically putting religious items in my hand, and proceeding to give me a lecture on being 'saved'. At that point, I can no longer just walk away and tune it out. At that point, it is being forced on me against my will.

Of course you can still walk away !!!!------you not even talking about religion---your talking about a person who attempts to assault you !

Shattered said:
Is it so absolutely out of the ordinary, and bordering on psychotic that I should be able to expect to do my job on a day to day basis without having religion thrown down my throat when I don't work in a place that has anything whatsoever to DO with religion?

Thrown down your throat. Yeah. That would be assault. Are you sure you're just not getting a little hysterical here?

rtwngAvngr said:
You can cork your ears and refuse to accept things from their hands.

And rule #1 is " the customer is always right" haven't you heard this?

ff1, how would you react to an employee being rude to a religious customer of yours?

I'm in a supervisory position. It's my *job* to "humor" said customers.. But that damn well doesn't mean it's my *job* to like it and not complain about it.

And employee being rude to a religious customer would receive the same disciplinary action as an employee being rude to a non-religious customer. Again, religious standing has no place in the workplace, and rudeness is intolerable.

rtwngAvngr said:
Ok. but what about religious discussions on break?

I haven't read anything in this thread that advocates denying you the right to have a conversation, religious or otherwise, while on break. If however, this conversation was conducted at a high volume with the intent to force everyone else on break to hear it, that would meet the definition of inappropriate.

You've all told me why it's perfectly acceptable for you to come in to my workplace, and preach (for lack of a better term) of me being saved.. Freedom of speech..

Now please tell me why it's perfectly UNacceptable for me to get angry about it, and tell you that I think it's wrong, without you jumping down my throat and telling me I'm being unreasonable...

Surely what's good for the goose is good for the gander.

If you get "cornered" by ANYONE it's a crime----if someone did this to you but were talking about poitics would you say politics have no place at work??

MissileMan said:
I haven't read anything in this post that advocates denying you the right to have a conversation, religious or otherwise, while on break. If however, this conversation was conducted at a high volume with the intent to force everyone else on break to hear it, that would meet the definition of inappropriate.

The whole time the issue has been "in the work place" this "on break" stuff only started when people tried to shift the focus of conversation to " well, no speech is acceptable at work". People wanted to go there. I went there. The song remains the same.

I simply don't understand how you can allow yourself to be "victimized" by a "religious" person. Tell em to FUCK OFF if you can't find anything more tactful.

dilloduck said:
If you get "cornered" by ANYONE it's a crime----if someone did this to you but were talking about poitics would you say politics have no place at work??

I thought I made it clear that I would. Work is for work related discussions while you're on company time. But you know, I'm starting to get really tired of just nodding and smiling...

If I see a customer of mine on the street during off time, I'll say hello, ask how they're doing, ask how their families are doing, etc.. Small talk is great.. While at work, that's not what I'm being paid to do, however. There are times and places for everything, and if there's no set in stone law to abide by, simple common sense must come into play...

Next you'll ask who defines "common sense".. Well, hopefully each individual person has that ability to define it within themselves, without the need for a "me me me!" mentality that states what they want is all that matters, and everyone else should just have to deal with it.

Up until midnight, I have the legal right to play my stereo as loud as I want without getting in trouble (After midnight, it becomes "disturbing the peace").. However, if I know my neighbors are home, out of simple common courtesy, I will refrain from playing at a volume that can be heard outside the nearest window or door. Legally, I can do whatever the hell I want.. Morally, and courteously, I don't.

Really shattered, we know you know a few choice words, after today. And I apologize for using terms like ho, slit, and two bit trick. I hope we can get along after this. I was over the line. But you need to better grip on what free speech means.

Mr. P said:
But if you do that here, you may be Banned.

that's why I was suggesting a more tactful way of telling someone to get out of your face.--------here it's soley up to the owner of the board. Dictatorships make some things easier !!

dilloduck said:
I simply don't understand how you can allow yourself to be "victimized" by a "religious" person. Tell em to FUCK OFF if you can't find anything more tactful.

Much like Rtwng stated, the customer is always right...whether they're right or wrong. Let me put it like this...

It takes months to find a customer. It takes seconds to lose one.

So long as I don't feel my *life* is in danger, I tolerate a LOT. That doesn't mean I have to like it, and I shouldn't be condemned for *stating* that I don't like it.

Shattered said:
I thought I made it clear that I would. Work is for work related discussions while you're on company time. But you know, I'm starting to get really tired of just nodding and smiling...

If I see a customer of mine on the street during off time, I'll say hello, ask how they're doing, ask how their families are doing, etc.. Small talk is great.. While at work, that's not what I'm being paid to do, however. There are times and places for everything, and if there's no set in stone law to abide by, simple common sense must come into play...

Next you'll ask who defines "common sense".. Well, hopefully each individual person has that ability to define it within themselves, without the need for a "me me me!" mentality that states what they want is all that matters, and everyone else should just have to deal with it.

Up until midnight, I have the legal right to play my stereo as loud as I want without getting in trouble (After midnight, it becomes "disturbing the peace").. However, if I know my neighbors are home, out of simple common courtesy, I will refrain from playing at a volume that can be heard outside the nearest window or door. Legally, I can do whatever the hell I want.. Morally, and courteously, I don't.

So NO discussion at works is what you espouse? Does your boss read this site or something? what a brownie.

Shattered said:
You've all told me why it's perfectly acceptable for you to come in to my workplace, and preach (for lack of a better term) of me being saved.. Freedom of speech..

Now please tell me why it's perfectly UNacceptable for me to get angry about it, and tell you that I think it's wrong, without you jumping down my throat and telling me I'm being unreasonable...

Surely what's good for the goose is good for the gander.

If people actually accost you at your place of business then they have crossed a line that reasonable people would object to. You therefore have a right to simply tell them so and to leave. If they do not let you then they have crossed into illegal activity and you have even more rights.

rtwngAvngr said:
So NO discussion at works is what you espouse? Does your boss read this site or something? what a brownie.

No.. There's a reason I've gotten as far in life as I have. I do have strong work ethics, and I do give it my all. But if you want to twist that into something evil as well, that's your perrogative.

no1tovote4 said:
If people actually accost you at your place of business then they have crossed a line that reasonable people would object to. You therefore have a right to simply tell them so and to leave. If they do not let you then they have crossed into illegal activity and you have even more rights.

Can you imagine calling the police to tell them that some 40 year old lady grabbed your arm to put a pamphlet into it? In a religious town, no less? *dies laughing*

Just because it's my belief that it doesn't belong there, doesn't mean I'm going to violate the right she feels she has to PUT it there. But I have the FOS right to bitch incessantly about it, too (not without being called a whole host of names, but I still have that right)

Shattered said:
No.. There's a reason I've gotten as far in life as I have. I do have strong work ethics, and I do give it my all. But if you want to twist that into something evil as well, that's your perrogative.

This thread was never about work ethic. You're twisting the thread into something totally different.

SO is there to be no chatting at work on any subject, when not on break? Is that your final answer? Or do you want customers to not talk about anything but the business at hand? What's your damage, Heather?

And when on break, are all topics ok with you? WHat if you're on break, and the customer sees you in the breakroom, then what? Can he talk to you then, and if so, regarding which subjects?

Shattered said:
Can you imagine calling the police to tell them that some 40 year old lady grabbed your arm to put a pamphlet into it? In a religious town, no less? *dies laughing*

Just because it's my belief that it doesn't belong there, doesn't mean I'm going to violate the right she feels she has to PUT it there. But I have the FOS right to bitch incessantly about it, too (not without being called a whole host of names, but I still have that right)

It is also your right to take their stuff rip it up and throw it away directly in front of them. This has the added bonus of showing them they are wasting their money as well, each pamphlet costs them something to print. You can tell them you think it is inappropriate and ask them to stop, you can do many things. If I were you I would make an Atheist pamphlet and give them one each time they gave me one if I felt offended.

no1tovote4 said:
It is also your right to take their stuff rip it up and throw it away directly in front of them. This has the added bonus of showing them they are wasting their money as well, each pamphlet costs them something to print. You can tell them you think it is inappropriate and ask them to stop, you can do many things. If I were you I would make an Atheist pamphlet and give them one each time they gave me one if I felt offended.

I'm not in a position to do that. If I had some $5.00 an hour job at McDonalds or something, I probably *would* do that...getting fired, I wouldn't have much more to lose than $5 an hour and those jobs are a dime a dozen.

Forum List

Back