Free speech covers religious speech.

Ok so in my opinion (as a person who follows no religion)
It could get old hearing anyone talk about religion (and politics) at work.
I would simply walk away, ask the person to leave my area,
or if all else failed, I would seek out a manager and express my
concerns. It's an easy fix, is rejecting unwanted conversation in the
workplace constitutionaly right? Maybe not, but all employees should
recieve training as far as Equal opportunity and harassment goes. Once
that training has been done the employee may then decide to put
their strong beliefs aside, or work somewhere else. They're not taking
away your rights, they are trying to cover their ass in the best interest
of the company which you now represent.

Sir Evil said:
This would be a good time for everyone to cool off, it's just a message board!

Exactly, no matter what anybody says here it will not set off a nuclear weapon. We may be discussing important issues but the overall importance of the discussion is relatively small.

no1tovote4 said:
I thought the Freedom of Expression clause was the one that covered religious speech.

They both cover it.

Expression, speech, what's the difference really.

Everyone here has gotten their mind warped by some woman who fancies herself popular but doesn't :) know jack shit about the rights afforded in the constitution or tolerance for that matter. And that's the truth.

JOKER96BRAVO said:

I figure talking about your devotion to the Dark Lord Beelzebub would probably get them to quit coming around if the Manager would not do anything about it.

JOKER96BRAVO said:

It's wrong that employers get sued for the free speech of others. I understand what employers do to cover their ass. that doesn't mean it's right or constitutional. It's merely symptom of a society that is slowly moving toward the persecution of religion. That's a fact too.

You can bend over backward to get some of that shattered tit milk, that doesn't mean your arguments are good.

rtwngAvngr said:
They both cover it.

Expression, speech, what's the difference really.

Everyone here has gotten their mind warped by some woman who fancies herself popular but doesn't :) know jack shit about the rights afforded in the constitution or tolerance for that matter. And that's the truth.
No one wants to ignore your rights. It's just smarter for a company to
limit what you (as a representative of the company) may say in the
interest of work. If the company makes that point clear upon hiring you
and you accept it, then you have to live with that, or find a job that
doesn't care. Is it right? No, do we have to live with it? Yes.

rtwngAvngr said:
It's wrong that employers get sued for the free speech of others. I understand what employers do to cover their ass. that doesn't mean it's right or constitutional. It's merely symptom of a society that is slowly moving toward the persecution of religion. That's a fact too.

You can bend over backward to get some of that shattered tit milk, that doesn't mean your arguments are good.

As I said in the other thread, conversation about religion in the workplace should be tolerated as long as those involved in the conversation are mutually agreeable to discussing it. But whenever one starts getting pushy, well, in the workplace, that is not, in my opinion, freedom of speech, but harassment. There is a time and place for everything.

JMHO!

rtwngAvngr said:

Interesting. I can create a scenario where I believed in a religion that was personally and morally repugnant to you. Every day I came to work regardless of you telling me that you don't want to hear about it I aggressively attempt to convert you to Beelzebubshism. I constantly bring in the Beelzebuble and read it aloud to you while listening to the Beelzebubshist radio that plays all the praises of Beelzebub 24 hours a day along with the 42 prayers per day that are required. I play it loudly and disruptively on my radio. Now you are saying I am so protected that you have no recourse at all?

Freedom of expression or speech does not give you the right to harrass others.

• Thanks
Reactions: dmp
rtwngAvngr said:

I post in a neutral corner on this subject and thought I was very courteous
to you. I do not like the flame about my arguement. It's merely my opinion
and the harsh reality of life. How can you fix that by flamming me?

JOKER96BRAVO said:
I post in a neutral corner on this subject and thought I was very courteous
to you. I do not like the flame about my arguement. It's merely my opinion
and the harsh reality of life. How can you fix that by flamming me?

Grow up. You're like my granny.

no1tovote4 said:
Interesting. I can create a scenario where I believed in a religion that was personally and morally repugnant to you. Every day I came to work regardless of you telling me that you don't want to hear about it I aggressively attempt to convert you to Beelzebubshism. I constantly bring in the Beelzebuble and read it aloud to you while listening to the Beelzebubshist radio that plays all the praises of Beelzebub 24 hours a day along with the 42 prayers per day that are required. I play it loudly and disruptively on my radio. Now you are saying I am so protected that you have no recourse at all?

Freedom of expression or speech does not give you the right to harrass others.

obnoxious yes. Illegal no. Listen no1, all these people are on my case because I dared crossed she-zilla. There's no merit to what she says. And your example is absurd. Why don't get hip to what's going on here.

ALso no1 in your example. A person who did nothing but preach is obviously not doing their job, and would be fired for that reason.

If I am easily offended, am I right to expect people to go out of there normal acivities to appease me? I think that's the basic question here. With numerous opinions and definitions this becomes an incredibly sticky problem to tackle which is why we have some imperfect laws that attempt to address this issue. If we are going to try to draw a line between acceptable and non-acceptable here, who would you want to do the drawing ? Answers ??

JOKER96BRAVO said:
Grow up and except the guidelines your work sets, or find another job...

Get aware and realize that some things employers do to protect themselves legally are neither right, nor constitutional, and may be merely a symptom of a society gone awry.

We're not talking about me anyway. Quit being such a little follower and think for a second.

rtwngAvngr said:
obnoxious yes. Illegal no. Listen no1, all these people are on my case because I dared crossed she-zilla. There's no merit to what she says. And your example is absurd. Why don't get hip to what's going on here.

My example is not absurd. There have been people fired from our work for exactly that from the Christian side of things, and rightly so. In my scenario it becomes illegal once the person begins using disruptive means to keep pushing the religion regardless of my feelings on the subject. And the business is liable if they don't stop me from my evangelistic fervor they can and will be sued, and will correctly lose much of their hard earned profit paying for their folly.

I have no right to disrupt the workplace of a private or public business with my free speech. I have a right to say it, but there is a time and place.

If you go too far in your free speech it can become harrassment and others can be protected from you.

rtwngAvngr said:

I've apologized to you (and everyone else) for my views, and defense of being called names. Publicly. You've spent 1/3 of this thread still slamming me directly, and indirectly. Since I refuse to further stoop to your level, what else would you like from me? My views that religion does not belong in the workplace, or attached to my car will not change. That is not freedom of speech; that is invasion of personal space, harrassment, and borders on completely disgraceful behavior.

The balls in your court, and I concede to your obviously greater knowledge that your freedom of speech does in fact allow you to invade my personal space.

Now can you let it go?

dilloduck said:
If I am easily offended, am I right to expect people to go out of there normal acivities to appease me? I think that's the basic question here. With numerous opinions and definitions this becomes an incredibly sticky problem to tackle which is why we have some imperfect laws that attempt to address this issue. If we are going to try to draw a line between acceptable and non-acceptable here, who would you want to do the drawing ? Answers ??

The standard is "reasonable person". A reasonable person would not be offended by my listening to the Beelzebubshist radio station with my headphones on, nor with pamphlets available at my desk to pick up as you wish. You have a right to free expression, just not a right to harrass others with your free expression.

no1tovote4 said:
I have no right to disrupt the workplace of a private or public business with my free speech. I have a right to say it, but there is a time and place.

If you go too far in your free speech it can become harassment and others can be protected from you.

Regardless of if it offends or not, as the employer, I have a right (I live in Nevada, which is a right to work state) to fire anybody for any reason. If somebody is disrupting work, regardless of how they are disrupting it, I will get rid of them. That doesn't mean I am anti-Christian, it just means that getting work done is more important. That is why they have a job!

rtwngAvngr said:
First, I'm not on your case.
Second I simply disagree and am glad that people I work with
don't preach ANY religion to me, cause it's also my right not to have
it forced on me...

Forum List

Back