Free speech covers religious speech.

no1tovote4 said:
Ah I see now, it was you he was so upset about...

Well Lady Shattered, you have created controversy. :D

The fact that religion has no place at work seems to have created one hell of a controversy, I guess. That's my entire argument, and I'm sticking to it.

Just shows how guys will defend any dumbass with a slit, if they think they'll gain entry.

freeandfun1 said:
any halfway intelligent employer would know that you never give a reason, you just fire em.

Any halfway intelligent employee would keep paperwork etc. Sometimes it can be proven regardless. People are protected from harrassment even in right-to-work states.

dilloduck said:
Usually happens when you flirt a lot---ends up pissing off someone.

Huh?? What does whatevers said in a general chat thread have to do with this discussion?

Shattered said:
The fact that religion has no place at work seems to have created one hell of a controversy, I guess. That's my entire argument, and I'm sticking to it.

See, that's just your warped opinion. There is no legal basis for that. And many employers who implement this policy do so out of fear of loudmouthed complaining libs.

rtwngAvngr said:
See, that's just your warped opinion.

It's no more warped than your opinion that you're free to put your religion anywhere you like whether someone wants you to or not.

Shattered said:

It has just as much place as the discussion of Survivor, the Game last night, The Biggest Loser, my new boat, the fish I caught, etc.

Shattered said:
It's no more warped than your opinion that you're free to put your religion anywhere you like whether someone wants you to or not.

No. See, the constitution protects all speech equally, just because aetheist have warped "conventional wisdom" doesn't mean they're correct legally. Try learning.

no1tovote4 said:
It has just as much place as the discussion of Survivor, the Game last night, The Biggest Loser, my new boat, the fish I caught, etc.

None of which I discuss at work. When I'm at work, I'm paid to train new employees, supervise existing employees, and do other work related things. Personal discussions are for break times, and times when you're not on the company clock.

Shattered said:
None of which I discuss at work. When I'm at work, I'm paid to train new employees, supervise existing employees, and do other work related things. Personal discussions are for break times, and times when you're not on the company clock.

OMG...work ethics! :clap:

Shattered said:

If you could let religion go in one ear and out the other, YOU would be a lot more comfortable. Something must be in the stopping it from just being another piece of chatter.

Shattered said:

Ok. but what about religious discussions on break?

Shattered said:

However you know that in practice many employees discuss each of these while on the clock and not on break. Often it doesn't even interfere with work. Not only that but if they talk about it on break in your hearing when you are not on break is that a violation of your air-space? I mean I don't want to hear about the "Who's My Daddy?" show that was on last night but that doesn't mean that their speech is illegal or even harrassment.

dilloduck said:
If you could let religion go in one ear and out the other, YOU would be a lot more comfortable. Something must be in the stopping it from just being another piece of chatter.

I let it go in one ear and out the other in my personal life, when I'm out in public, when I'm with friends/family that are very religious, and pretty much every other time. It has no place in my place of employment. The transaction between me and you (collective) consists you paying for services rendered, picking up your belongings, my wishing you a nice day, and you leaving. Simple as that. Professionalism at its finest.

Shattered said:
I let it go in one ear and out the other in my personal life, when I'm out in public, when I'm with friends/family that are very religious, and pretty much every other time. It has no place in my place of employment. The transaction between me and you (collective) consists you paying for services rendered, picking up your belongings, my wishing you a nice day, and you leaving. Simple as that. Professionalism at its finest.

Unless of course your customer says "god bless you" or something offensive like that

no1tovote4 said:
However you know that in practice many employees discuss each of these while on the clock and not on break. Often it doesn't even interfere with work. Not only that but if they talk about it on break in your hearing when you are not on break is that a violation of your air-space? I mean I don't want to hear about the "Who's My Daddy?" show that was on last night but that doesn't mean that their speech is illegal or even harrassment.

If it's two employees who are off the clock, and they choose to spend their break time discussing religion, that's their perrogative, and none of my business. They're not forcing me to become a part of it, and I can clearly leave the break area.

I'm discussing customers coming in to my place of work for one order of business, and then cornering me prior to leaving, physically putting religious items in my hand, and proceeding to give me a lecture on being 'saved'. At that point, I can no longer just walk away and tune it out. At that point, it is being forced on me against my will.

dilloduck said:
Unless of course your customer says "god bless you" or something offensive like that

I have customers wish me a "blessed holiday".. My response? "Merry Christmas!" Again, they're out the door; not physically putting things in my hand, telling me I need to be saved, not sticking things to my car, etc..

Shattered said:
If it's two employees who are off the clock, and they choose to spend their break time discussing religion, that's their perrogative, and none of my business. They're not forcing me to become a part of it, and I can clearly leave the break area.

I'm discussing customers coming in to my place of work for one order of business, and then cornering me prior to leaving, physically putting religious items in my hand, and proceeding to give me a lecture on being 'saved'. At that point, I can no longer just walk away and tune it out. At that point, it is being forced on me against my will.

You can cork your ears and refuse to accept things from their hands.

And rule #1 is " the customer is always right" haven't you heard this?

ff1, how would you react to an employee being rude to a religious customer of yours?

Is it so absolutely out of the ordinary, and bordering on psychotic that I should be able to expect to do my job on a day to day basis without having religion thrown down my throat when I don't work in a place that has anything whatsoever to DO with religion?

Forum List

Back