Forget Left, Right, and Center. Americans want to govern themselves!

Foxfyre

Eternal optimist
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 11, 2007
Desert Southwest USA
Scott Rasmussen's new book, In Search of Self Governance, provides a perspective I haven't seen expressed at least on this site this year. After analyzing all the polling he has done for years, Rasmussen has concluded that most Americans simply want government to do what it has to do and then otherwise leave them alone.

Excerpt from a short book review:

“Pollster Scott Rasmussen has his finger on the pulse of America, conducting hundreds of spot-on surveys every year,” says Dr. Larry J. Sabato Director of the University of Virginia’s Center for Politics. “Now he takes what he has learned about us one step further, with thought-provoking advocacy about the way we the people should govern ourselves.”

Years of public opinion polls have shown a growing disconnect between the American people and the nation’s political leaders. Rasmussen’s conclusion: Americans don’t want to be governed from the left, the right or the center. They want to govern themselves. The American desire for – and attachment to – self-governance runs deep. It is one of our nation’s cherished core values and an important part of our cultural DNA. And right now, it needs to be saved.

“Self-governance is about far more than politics and government,” says Rasmussen. “It requires a lot of the American people, and it has nothing to do with the petty partisan games played by Republicans and Democrats. Unfortunately, even after more than 200 years of success, there is an urgent need to defend this most basic of American values.”
In Search of Self-Governance - Rasmussen Reports

And excerpted from S.R.'s intro to the book:

I’m proud to be an American and proud of our great national heritage—a heritage built upon freedom, liberty, and the belief that the people should rule their rulers. I am grateful for those who have given their lives defending our freedoms and thankful for those who defend us still today. While our nation is not perfect, the United States is more than a great place to live; it’s a bright beacon of liberty and hope for the entire world.

Sadly, another piece of common ground today is frustration with political dialogue that seems designed to polarize and divide the public. Most of us have come to believe that the political system is broken, that most politicians are corrupt, and that neither major political party has the answers. Some of us are ready to give up and some of us are ready to scream a little louder. But all of us believe we can do better.

Dealing with a broken political system is especially frustrating because our nation has such a rich heritage of self-governance. The American people may disagree vehemently about specific policy is­sues, but we share a common belief that things work best when the people are in charge.

And that’s why I wrote this essay. Self-governance is about far more than politics and government. It requires a lot of the American people and it has nothing to do with the petty partisan games played by Republicans and Democrats. Unfortunately, even after more than 200 years of success, there is now an urgent need to defend this most basic of American values.
--Scott Rasmussen

Hee hee. I like that.

But after all the sound and fury of whether Bush campaigned to the right and then veered left or Obama campaigned to the right and then veered far left or whether he is right of where his base expects him to be or whether the GOP should move to the center or the Democrats to the right or whatever, the fact is most of us really don't give a dang where they are. We want them to do what the Constitution says they are supposed to do, secure our rights, and then get the hell out of our way.

If they do that, whatever the individual ideologies are won't matter.

Another excerpt from the book:

“In the click that revolves around Washington, DC, and Wall Street, our treasured heritage has been diminished almost beyond recognition. In that world, some see self-governance as little more than allowing voters to choose which of two politicians will rule over them. Others in that elite environment are even more brazen and see self-governance as a problem to be overcome”

“In these early days of the 21st Century, our system of self-governance is in trouble. We are in danger of becoming a nation where big business and big government work together against the rest of us. They write the rules, we pay the bills. And then they wonder why we get upset.”

The above was found on another one of the many "Tea Party" inspired sites: Americans for Limited Government.
http://www.getliberty.org/

Well, according to rhetoric that's exactly what the right wants: Americans to govern themselves.

Unfortunately, our elected leaders quickly ignore that the second they get elected.

Well, according to rhetoric that's exactly what the right wants: Americans to govern themselves.

Unfortunately, our elected leaders quickly ignore that the second they get elected.

Yes, you're right. And there are definitely demographics among Americans that have been so programmed to think big government is the cure for all human maladies that they are perfectly happy to hand over more and more of their freedoms. So the phenomenon of big government in bed with a few big corporations and unions seeking to increase its power to a point of no return continues.

But I think S.R. is right. Most Americans do want as much freedom as possible to chart their own destiny and strive for whatever honorable goals they may seek. They don't want government to do it for them and they don't want government to prevent them from doing it.

And it is THAT which has inspired the tax protest movements, the Tea Parties, and similar grass roots efforts to reform government first. Then we can look to see what needs to be done about everything else.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShTVpGuzk1M]YouTube - HD Watchmen, 'The American Dream'[/ame]

Not all Americans can govern themselves. Could you imagine what Republicans would do if we didn't have laws protecting us from them? It's why they want to get rid of all laws. So they can rampage.

I want government to manage. Things like the military, roads, bridges, protect us from corporate greed and most of all, protect us from the Republcians. Their mysticism, their racism, their phobias.

You mean the same elected leaders that run on the platform of "no new taxes, govern yourself, less Government power" who when in reality get into power only give the government more power? :confused:

And if Americans are so easily tricked by such snake oil salesmen, they're suppose to be able to govern themselves? :lol:

You mean the same elected leaders that run on the platform of "no new taxes, govern yourself, less Government power" who when in reality get into power only give the government more power? :confused:

And if Americans are so easily tricked by such snake oil salesmen, they're suppose to be able to govern themselves? :lol:

Well there is some truth to what you say. George W. Bush did not campaign on the liberalism that he allowed and somewhat promoted on his watch. Depending on who ran against him, President Obama might get a plurality of votes if an election was held today, but he would not get anywhere near the percentages he netted before he reneged on most things he promised as Candidate Obama. I don't think many expected that.

But most of us know what we would do for ourselves if it was up to us to do it. And most of us simply trust ourselves to have our own best interests at heart than we trust anybody in big government these days. The last several presidents and Congresses have given us a lot of reason to distrust them all.

Last edited:
Not all Americans can govern themselves. Could you imagine what Republicans would do if we didn't have laws protecting us from them? It's why they want to get rid of all laws. So they can rampage.

It really doesn't embarrass you to post something this stupid?

Well there is some truth to what you say. George W. Bush did not campaign on the liberalism that he allowed and somewhat promoted on his watch. Depending on who ran against him, President Obama might get a plurality of votes if an election was held today, but he would not get anywhere near the percentages he netted before he reneged on most things he promised as Candidate Obama. I don't think many expected that.

But most of us know what we would do for ourselves if it was up to us to do it. And most of us simply trust ourselves to have our own best interests at heart than we trust anybody in big government these days. The last several presidents and Congresses have given us a lot of reason to distrust them all.

:lol: Blaming it on Liberalism? No. Republicans had Congress too, or are you forgetting that little ditty?

And I'm calling bullshit on what I bolded. You expect Corporations to do what it's in our best interests? :rofl:

Man, you must think the cigarette companies are innocent. :lol:

Ever take a poll on American knowledge of history and the present? You'd see the pathetic numbers for yourself.

You seem to forget that Big Government is filled of people like us. They're not like aliens from another planet, they're human beings. Only difference is? They're human beings with power.

QUESTION FOR MODS. This thread was started last night. It has a reasonable theme based on very current events, no insults to anybody were implied, and it has had fairly normal activity.

So why is it designated 'old' on the list? How does a thread receive an 'old' designation?

:lol: Blaming it on Liberalism? No. Republicans had Congress too, or are you forgetting that little ditty?

And I'm calling bullshit on what I bolded. You expect Corporations to do what it's in our best interests? :rofl:

Man, you must think the cigarette companies are innocent. :lol:

Ever take a poll on American knowledge of history and the present? You'd see the pathetic numbers for yourself.

You seem to forget that Big Government is filled of people like us. They're not like aliens from another planet, they're human beings. Only difference is? They're human beings with power.

Well there's another active thread right indicating that those who agree with me more are generally better informed on both history and current events than those who probably agree with you more. So let's set that aside since I have at least those facts on my side and you have nothing to support your opinion about that.

Leave it to anti-Conservatives and others of that ilk to take a simple concept to extremes. Nobody is saying there should be NO government or that there is no place for laws, regulation, and administration in government. The Constitution explicity spells out what the function of government should be.

Nowhere in there is a concept that the people shall be ruled by government, however. The Constitution was designed to make the USA the first country in the history of the world to agree to live under a social contract by which the people would rule, and not whatever appointed or elected officials or bureaucrats functioning as dictators, however benevolent they see themselves to be.

Well there's another active thread right indicating that those who agree with me more are generally better informed on both history and current events than those who probably agree with you more. So let's set that aside since I have at least those facts on my side and you have nothing to support your opinion about that.

Leave it to anti-Conservatives and others of that ilk to take a simple concept to extremes. Nobody is saying there should be NO government or that there is no place for laws, regulation, and administration in government. The Constitution explicity spells out what the function of government should be.

Nowhere in there is a concept that the people shall be ruled by government, however. The Constitution was designed to make the USA the first country in the history of the world to agree to live under a social contract by which the people would rule, and not whatever appointed or elected officials or bureaucrats functioning as dictators, however benevolent they see themselves to be.

Facts? :rofl:

Those are facts? It's called polling. And for you to take polling as a fact is a sign of not only your desperation of your arguments but your ignorance. Not only your ignorance of where I stand on the issues but the issues in general.

You and your elk have been voting in faux Conservatives for the last seventy years, and you want to point fingers at me? :lol:

The Constitution does not always spell out exactly what the function of Government is. Hence why we have the SCOTUS. Never mind the fact that if we took the Constitution as is, slavery would still be legal.

And this country is not a true Democracy either. Otherwise Gore would of won in 2000.

Last edited:

Facts? :rofl:

Those are facts, it's called polling. And for you to take polling as a fact is a sign of not only your desperation of your arguments but your ignorance. Not only your ignorance of where I stand on the issues but the issues in general.

You and your elk have been voting in faux Conservatives for the last seventy years, and you want to point fingers at me? :lol:

The Constitution does not always spell out exactly what the function of Government is. Hence why we have the SCOTUS. Never mind the fact that if we took the Constitution as is, slavery would still be legal.

And this country is not a true Democracy either. Otherwise Gore would of won in 2000.

Well you're the one who brought up polls as evidence for fact, not me.

The only finger pointed at you was because of your carrying a concept to an absurd extreme just so you could attack it. I suppose you added all the red herrings and strawmen in your post here for the same reason.

I prefer to discuss the concepts introduced in the thread, however, and as you obviously are bent on something else, I'll bid you a most excellent afternoon.

Last edited:

The snake oil salesmen are on both sides. You're apparently in the camp who believes Americans are too stupid to know how to vote, and too stupid to know what is in their best interest. Therefore, everyone should just sit down, shutup, and let big government move in and take care of all the dimwits.

Last edited:
The snake oil salesmen are on both sides. You're apparently in the camp who believes Americans are too stupid to know how to vote, and too stupid to know what is in their best interest. Therefore, everyone should just sit down, shutup, and let big government move in and take care of all the dimwits.

I never said any of that. You did. But hey, keep thinking that you know me instead of actually trying to address what I say. :thup:

I never said any of that. You did. But hey, keep thinking that you know me instead of actually trying to address what I say. :thup:

Oh don't start acting like an offended little pussy now. Why don't you clarify and/or elaborate on the part of your response that I bolded below, and enlighten us to who you really are.

LOL. Now he says he didn't say what you (accurately) quoted him here saying.

But you're absolutely right. Neither the Democrats or the GOP deserve respect from the American people. They both betrayed the trust we placed in them. Which is why the tax protesters and Tea Partiers are independent of any political party and will not be affiliated with one.

And whether or not you agree with the thesis, thanks to those posting who confirm that they at least understand what the thesis is about.

Forum List

Back