Florida Pastor Arrested Before He Could Burn 2,998 Qurans On Anniversary Of 9-11

If you think about it.......the nut case preacher was hauling a highly explosive WMD down a public road.

And endangering the lives of people in other cars; and the homes and business that line the street he was driving on. .. :eek:

If you think about it.......the nut case preacher was hauling a highly explosive WMD down a public road.

And endangering the lives of people in other cars; and the homes and business that line the street he was driving on. .. :eek:

Kerosene is not highly flammable or at all explosive. It takes a deliberate effort to get kerosene burning.

If he owned the books he has every right to dispose of them any way he sees fit.

In accordance with local laws and ordinances, which Jones failed to do.

And true to form, you have not posted these ordinances. What happened? Your student subscription to WestLaw run out?

Jones, 61, and Wayne Sapp Jr., 44, an associate pastor at Jones' church, Dove World Outreach Center in Manatee County, were arrested on several charges, including possessing fuel in an improper container, which is a third-degree felony punishable by up to five years in prison, according to Sheriff's Office reports.

Terry Jones Arrested On the Way to Burn Qurans | TheLedger.com

If you want the actual citations, feel free to search and wade through them.

But that’s not the issue.

The issue concerns you and others on the right upset that Jones wasn’t able to exhibit his hatred for Islam, having nothing to do with alleged 'violations' Jones’ First Amendment rights.

Kerosene is not highly flammable or at all explosive. It takes a deliberate effort to get kerosene burning.
Kerosene is a lot like diesel.....not very flammable in the open air.

But in a closed trailer where the vapors are allowed to saturate the oxygen and linger.

It can become much more volatile and dangerous like gasoline. .. :doubt:

In accordance with local laws and ordinances, which Jones failed to do.

And true to form, you have not posted these ordinances. What happened? Your student subscription to WestLaw run out?

Jones, 61, and Wayne Sapp Jr., 44, an associate pastor at Jones' church, Dove World Outreach Center in Manatee County, were arrested on several charges, including possessing fuel in an improper container, which is a third-degree felony punishable by up to five years in prison, according to Sheriff's Office reports.

If you want the actual citations, feel free to search and wade through them.

But that’s not the issue.

The issue concerns you and others on the right upset that Jones wasn’t able to exhibit his hatred for Islam, having nothing to do with alleged 'violations' Jones’ First Amendment rights.

You continue to be the poser. And you have very little reading comprehension. I doubt you have any connection with the legal community at all, but have merely announced that you do so you can look credible. You actually have to be able to read and comprehend to get into law school. And you cannot.

I made no comment on anything other than his right to dispose of his own property as he chooses. And you cannot deny that he has that right. You throw in something 'legal' which you cannot substantiate as usual. If you are going to assert something, the onus is on you to prove it. No go back to playing dress up with mommies hats and pearls..

Last edited:

Kerosene is a lot like diesel.....not very flammable in the open air.

But in a closed trailer where the vapors are allowed to saturate the oxygen and linger.

It can become much more volatile and dangerous like gasoline. .. :doubt:

If it were in a closed trailer, they didn't have the right to stop him and search it. The trailer had to have been open for them to know what was in it.

That's because at 4:58 p.m., the 61-year-old pastor was pulled over by sheriff's deputies a couple of miles away. He was a passenger in a pickup truck driven by Marvin Wayne Sapp, 44, an associate pastor in Jones' Dove World Outreach Center.

The truck towed a large, smoker-style grill that Jones was going to use as an incinerator. In the smoker were the condemned Qurans.

Some of the books were soaked in kerosene, said Fran Ingram, spokeswoman for the church. The Polk County Sheriff's Office arrested Jones on felony charges of unlawful conveyance of fuel and open display of a firearm.

Polk County Sheriff Grady Judd said deputies saw Jones at a McDonalds in Mulberry and watched as he doused the books with kerosene on his way to the park.

“He was told that if he was going to come to Polk County and violate the law, he would be going to jail,” the sheriff said at a news conference Wednesday night.

The sheriff said dumping kerosene onto the books presented a hazardous situation. “He was potentially driving a bomb around if he had gotten into a crash.”

Judd said Sapp was charged with several civil traffic violations, including towing a trailer with no lights, safety chain or tag.

Rev. Jones arrested on way to burn Qurans in Polk County

---------------

Well lets see-
We possess fuel in nearly all cars, trucks, boats, aircraft, motorcycles, heaters, lanterns, cigarette lighters, and even candles without any way of knowing who approves/disapproves of most containers.
Sounds like a bullshit charge to me. Your mileage may vary.

Sorry bout that,

1. Those books were his property, he can do what he will with them.
2. No laws were broken.
3. I think he should settle out of court for 500,000 k for unlawful arrest.

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas

Laws WERE broken: the trailer was not tagged, and he was transporting kerosene unsafely!

Sorry bout that,

1. Those books were his property, he can do what he will with them.
2. No laws were broken.
3. I think he should settle out of court for 500,000 k for unlawful arrest.

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas

Laws WERE broken: the trailer was not tagged, and he was transporting kerosene unsafely!

Which had not one thing to do with his disposing of his own personal property. He broke no law regarding the burning of the Qurans if he, himself, owned them. I must look for mine. I think I will finish reading it and the Upanishads this winter when I am playing snowbird in Gulf Shores. I doubt I'll burn it though. I have trouble getting rid of books.

I'm thinking you don't need a permit from the fire department for driving on a road.

"Media reports show he was stopped in a pickup truck that was towing a metal trailer filled with Qurans soaked in kerosene."

Seriously? Did you miss that part?

What part of that is illegal in the state of Florida?

No plates on the trailer.
Depending on how much K1 he had, he might have needed to placard the trailer "FLAMMABLE".

He might be an asshole, but it is not illegal to be an asshole.

[
"Media reports show he was stopped in a pickup truck that was towing a metal trailer filled with Qurans soaked in kerosene."

Seriously? Did you miss that part?

It may not be illegal to be an arsehole but it is illegal to be a dangerous arsehole.

As for 'missing that part', they want to because they're trying to make out Islam is taking over America, not simply some extremist maniac being a daft pillock.

Extremist politics requires lies to sound reasonable.

Interesting. Apparently it's ok to burn bibles and the American flag but not the Quran. I am curious to what the unspecified charges would be. I think it would have been great to see him exercise his freedom of expression.

Florida pastor arrested before he could burn 2,998 Qurans on anniversary of 9/11 attacks | Fox News

MULBERRY, Fla. – A Florida pastor has been arrested before he could set fire to almost 3,000 Qurans.

Polk County sheriff's officials say the Rev. Terry Jones and his associate pastor were arrested on unspecified felony charges in the small central Florida town of Mulberry on Wednesday. A news conference is scheduled for later Wednesday to announce specific charges.

Media reports show he was stopped in a pickup truck that was towing a metal trailer filled with Qurans soaked in kerosene. He had said he planned to burn 2,998 Qurans — one for every victim who died in the 9/11 attacks 12 years ago.

Jones is the pastor of a small evangelical Christian church. His congregation burned a Quran in March 2011 and last year he promoted an anti-Muslim film. His actions have sparked violence in the Middle East and Afghanistan.

He's an asshole. Simply because someone has the right to freely speak or express their opinion doesn't mean they have the intelligence or judgment to exercise those rights with circumspection. Of course that applies to each and every post of your's which I've read too.

He might be an asshole, but it is not illegal to be an asshole.

By the way, since you are so big on not doing something just because it is legal, when the fuck are you going to stop positing drivel?

No one ever said it was.

But it is illegal to drive unsafe, unregistered vehicles on public streets.

Can you imagine if the roles were reversed; and it was a muslim guy with a trailer load of kerosene soaked bibles, plus an illegal hand gun??

I have no doubt Homeland Security would have been called to the scene.

And the muslim man would have charged with terrorism, possession of a WMD, and end up doing a life sentence in Gitmo. .. :cool:

Can you imagine if the roles were reversed; and it was a muslim guy with a trailer load of kerosene soaked bibles, plus an illegal hand gun??

And the muslim man would have charged with terrorism, possession of a WMD, and end up doing a life sentence in Gitmo. .. :cool:

Do you think that would also be the case in Iran?
An illegal handgun is (by definition) illegal.
Should muslims be accorded rights and privileges in this country that they deny others in Islamic countries? I don't think so. I do think that burning the Quran is a great way to commemorate 9/11 and certainly not in itself illegal.

Do you think that would also be the case in Iran?
An illegal handgun is (by definition) illegal.
Should muslims be accorded rights and privileges in this country that they deny others in Islamic countries?
I have No idea what they would do in Iran and neither do you.

The thread topic is about a criminal act that took place in the U.S. involving an American citizen.

I know it's difficult for you, but try to focus on the topic at hand....... :cool:

Interesting. Apparently it's ok to burn bibles and the American flag but not the Quran. I am curious to what the unspecified charges would be. I think it would have been great to see him exercise his freedom of expression.

You're a dumbass.

He was driving down the road, pulling a trailer full of kerosene-soaked Qur'ans. That's a public danger, and THAT'S what he was arrested for.

No different than if he was transporting explosives.

This "pastor" is a moron. Nothing would have happened to him if he had soaked them at the place he was going to ignite them, without the transport.

Forum List

Back