Florida Church in Standoff Over Koran Burning

Political Junky

Gold Member
May 27, 2009
I just heard this nutjob, Terry Jones, interviewed.

FOXNews.com - Fla. City, Church in Standoff Over 9/11 Koran Burning

GAINESVILLE, FLA – A Florida church that was denied a permit for its controversial plan to burn copies of the Koran on Sept. 11 says the book burning will continue anyway.

The Dove World Outreach Center drew international attention after announcing its plan to burn copies of the Islamic holy text on church grounds to mark the ninth anniversary of the 9/11 terrorist attacks. <more>

GAINESVILLE, FLA – A Florida church that was denied a permit for its controversial plan to burn copies of the Koran on Sept. 11 says the book burning will continue anyway.

The Dove World Outreach Center drew international attention after announcing its plan to burn copies of the Islamic holy text on church grounds to mark the ninth anniversary of the 9/11 terrorist attacks. <more>

What happened to that whole private property argument for the Ground Zero Mosque...right out the window when it's Christians.

Hypocrite.

What happened to that whole private property argument for the Ground Zero Mosque...right out the window when it's Christians.

Hypocrite.

I am a liberal, and I believe they have the right to do what they want on their private property....as long as all zoning codes and laws are followed. They have every right to be extreme assholes and announce it to the world.

I wonder what these people would say if a mosque was burning Bibles.

If they were to say, "Go ahead. We have no problem with it," then I would say the same thing to them.

If they were to say, "Go ahead. We have no problem with it," then I would say the same thing to them.

It's stupid, inflamatory and un-Christ-like IMO.

But according to the our leader, President Obama, all anyone should be concerned with is the Constitutionality...not the wisdom...of the decision.

Hmm, I wonder how the individuals at the mosque would feel about this church if it started burning Korans across the street from the Dome of Rock?

Anyhow, that's useless conjecture; just something to chew on.

It would probably be less of an issue due to the fact that most of Christianity does not hold the physical form of the bible to be sacred, it is the content that is.

Islam and Judaism on the other hand, hold the physical text of their scripture to be sacred. This is why you see the torah stored in a specific way in synogogues, as well as a much more limited circulation of Koran's as opposed to bibles.

This is why you also have much more issues when a random string of symobols on say a sneaker, or some clothing match the saying of koranic scripture. Again it is not only the content but the text itself that his holy.

In short people burning a Koran is much much much worse from a perception point of view than a person burning a bible.

What horseshit. Burn a few bibles and see how folks react.

I applaud the Gainesville City Council's sentiment, but they are wrong. I'm sure there's a safe way to burn books on the church property and this vile, hateful protest should be allowed to go forward.

The Dovey-Loveys should call the ACLU.

Hmm, I wonder how the individuals at the mosque would feel about this church if it started burning Korans across the street from the Dome of Rock?

Anyhow, that's useless conjecture; just something to chew on.

I doubt the burners would live to tell the tale...

What horseshit. Burn a few bibles and see how folks react.

I applaud the Gainesville City Council's sentiment, but they are wrong. I'm sure there's a safe way to burn books on the church property and this vile, hateful protest should be allowed to go forward.

The Dovey-Loveys should call the ACLU.

I agree....but I bet the Gainesvill City Council is not too fond of their town being in the news about this....not exactly good for your town when they are known for their hateful wack jobs.

Daggone GZ Mosque...screwing you out of all the vitriol this post could have generated.

Better luck next time.

Hypocrite.

I am a liberal, and I believe they have the right to do what they want on their private property....as long as all zoning codes and laws are followed. They have every right to be extreme assholes and announce it to the world.

agreed.

I don't really give a shit about this guy's lame fucking attempt to harvest attention like a child. By all means, let him BUY some korans to burn.

Bring some marshmallows!

But according to the our leader, President Obama, all anyone should be concerned with is the Constitutionality...not the wisdom...of the decision.

consequently, do you see or can you name the proverbial fucking ARMY of liberals out trying to trade their dignity for keeping him from burning korans like we see conservatives reacting to that mosque?

please, link something if you don't mind.

It would probably be less of an issue due to the fact that most of Christianity does not hold the physical form of the bible to be sacred, it is the content that is.

Islam and Judaism on the other hand, hold the physical text of their scripture to be sacred. This is why you see the torah stored in a specific way in synogogues, as well as a much more limited circulation of Koran's as opposed to bibles.

This is why you also have much more issues when a random string of symobols on say a sneaker, or some clothing match the saying of koranic scripture. Again it is not only the content but the text itself that his holy.

In short people burning a Koran is much much much worse from a perception point of view than a person burning a bible.

riiiiiight... remind me what happened to the artwork called Pissed Christ, again?

consequently, do you see or can you name the proverbial fucking ARMY of liberals out trying to trade their dignity for keeping him from burning korans like we see conservatives reacting to that mosque?

I can and likely will see an army of Muslims...and I won't blame them one bit.

As for liberals...you and I both know EXACTLY how this thread would have played out had the Mosque hypocrisy not been highlighted in post #2.

Last edited:

riiiiiight... remind me what happened to the artwork called Pissed Christ, again?

That's a facetious comparison, if only because he was comparing texts; you bring up an icon of Jesus.

As Leo III the Isaurian showed us, not all icons are created equal.

I can and likely will see an army of Muslims...and I won't blame them one bit.

As for liberals...you and I both know EXACTLY how this thread would have played out had the Mosque hypocrisy not been highlighted in post #2.

bullshit. you and I BOTH do not see a siren of lefties out demanding this guy be restricted from burning korans because WE understand why it is important to let Lenny Bruce and Fred Phelps tie their own rope rather than wiping our asses with the bill of rights.

now, spare me the silly "would have" rebuttals and name some libs who are out demanding restrictions on this guy on par with what we see in NY.

That's a facetious comparison, if only because he was comparing texts; you bring up an icon of Jesus.

As Leo III the Isaurian showed us, not all icons are created equal.

ahh yes.. it's ALWAYS "different" somehow, isn't it?

:rolleyes:

:lol:

:thup:

go tell it to exodus 20:4, fool.

:rofl:

What is so hateful about burning a book of lies that leads people away from Christ and the truth? I would think its just a symbolic gesture of rejecting Satan and his book of lies.

Forum List

Back