Five myths about federal workers

My career started in the private sector (corporations). Then I went to academia. Then I went to federal government.

Now, I'm private again, contracting for the government.

In general and in my experience, the least efficient and most wasteful of the bunch is academia - by far, no comparison. But, when they waste with inefficiencies, it's small beans compared to the federal budget. The federal government is quite efficient in some areas, but the number of administrative assistants needed to support those who do actually get work done is crazy - absolutely insane. That is very wasteful and very inefficient. The yearly audits by the federal government on the federal government typically demonstrate the inefficiencies and waste.

The private sector is by far the most efficient and least wasteful. And, for our Marxist comrades out there, that result is completely in line with Marxist theory on workers.

Just my experience and opinion.

You're right. They pay hundreds for a bolt. or thousands for a toilet in an airplane. it's nuts. Well, it's not their money, so what the heck.

Here's what I would like to do with government workers... Give every third government worker a pink slip. Make them go find a job in the private sector. Cut their pensions and tell them that from now on, they have to do matching 401K's, just like the rest of us in the private sector. Get rid of their freakin unions and actually make it so that they can get fired. Absolutely abolish the Department of Education. That would do for a start...

If you're trying to make me feel sorry for government workers at the Federal or state level... I really missed it.

Yep, you're exactly right.

My career started in the private sector (corporations). Then I went to academia. Then I went to federal government.

Now, I'm private again, contracting for the government.

In general and in my experience, the least efficient and most wasteful of the bunch is academia - by far, no comparison. But, when they waste with inefficiencies, it's small beans compared to the federal budget. The federal government is quite efficient in some areas, but the number of administrative assistants needed to support those who do actually get work done is crazy - absolutely insane. That is very wasteful and very inefficient. The yearly audits by the federal government on the federal government typically demonstrate the inefficiencies and waste.

The private sector is by far the most efficient and least wasteful. And, for our Marxist comrades out there, that result is completely in line with Marxist theory on workers.

Just my experience and opinion.

Be careful the Si. Flaylo will acuse you of throwing all those wonderful overabundant Govt workers under the bus. LOL

He apparantly thinks they are all necessary and work their asses off.
Apparently. But, he's Flaylo, so it's not so surprising that he's making an idiotic rant.

Federal employees get what they can just like everyone else. Nobody ever said they weren't good people. It isn't their fault that there are redundant, unnecessary, useless, often contradictory wastes of money in federal government bureaucracies. You could probably fire half the civilian workers employed by the federal government and get better efficiency.

Federal employees get what they can just like everyone else. Nobody ever said they weren't good people. It isn't their fault that there are redundant, unnecessary, useless, often contradictory wastes of money in federal government bureaucracies. You could probably fire half the civilian workers employed by the federal government and get better efficiency.

That's what my husband says. That's why he took an early retirement and got out. AFter finding out what it's like on the outside, he just can't believe he actually stuck it out as long as he did. But we had a chick in the nest to feed, you do what you gotta do.

These workers you talk about include the staff of the congressmen/women too.

Here's what I would like to do with government workers... Give every third government worker a pink slip. Make them go find a job in the private sector. Cut their pensions and tell them that from now on, they have to do matching 401K's, just like the rest of us in the private sector. Get rid of their freakin unions and actually make it so that they can get fired. Absolutely abolish the Department of Education. That would do for a start...

If you're trying to make me feel sorry for government workers at the Federal or state level... I really missed it.

The private sector is much worse and get a God damn life, make your own choice where to work, I am a federal worker and we take oaths to do our jobs unlike the corrupt pieces of trash in the public sector who pay politicians to get them government contracts. the worst wastes of federal dollars are privatized contractors who bill the government bogus charges for work they never do, stupid Republitards.

1. Federal workers ARE overpaid. The ones at the lower, non-skilled or barely-skilled, levels are paid much more than their private sector counterparts.

Correct.

The higher end federal workers are often underpaid in comparison to their private sector counterparts.

Yes, BUT - they make it up in bribes and contacts. Most professionals in government end up in top executive positions with the companies they dealt with while federal employees. Check the executive roster of Boeing, Raytheon, Aerojet, etc. and you will find that virtually all worked for the federal government (20 and out) prior to taking their current million a year positions. I'm not saying these positions are quid pro quo for years of service to the company why federal workers, but, well, you know...

So, it's neither a myth nor is it a fact.

I don't feel too sorry for them.

2. The federal workforce IS bigger than ever. You can't exclude a federal employer and THEN say the federal employee roster is the same as it was a decade ago.

So, not a myth.

3. While true that a federal employee can be fired, it is very hard to do so compared to the private sector. Very hard.

4. :lmao: As someone who USED to work directly for the US government, I have never in my life encountered as much necessary paperwork that I had to do. And my job was not an administrative position in the least.

5. Just because the reduction in deficit is not large, does not mean that there is no reduction.

That is no myth.

No disagreements.

Five myths about federal workers

Th rightwing shatheads will still repeat the same shat, maybe this post is useless.

Have YOU every worked for the government? Any of your family or close friends? If not, then you don't know a thing in the world about it.

My husband retired from civil service. Worked as equipment inspector in Supply. He said they could have fired every 3rd person and still got the job done. One of his jobs while working for the government was forklift operator. He earned $16.00/hour. He retired in 1996. he now works seasonally for our local fair doing the same work for $12.00/hour, in 2011. You do the math. He also was astounded to learn that on the outside, they actually expect you to WORK.

And in the 35 years he worked he never saw any body fired unless they stole something. Because like he always said "don't steal from the government, they don't like the competition." Nother favorite among ANYBODY who has ever worked for the government is: "Aw, it's good enough for government work."

My mother also was retired civil service, a supervisor, and it was almost impossible to fire anybody, more so if they were a minority. They had to have either stolen something or killed somebody.

I remember a rerun of I Love Lucy shot in 1954 where they are at the Passport office before they are to go to Europe. Lucy is late and Fred and Ethel tell the guy behind the counter they will report him if he doesn't wait. He responds: "I am in civil service, you want to get rid of me, you will have to wait until I'm dead."

So, unless YOU have actually worked for the government, I think I'd embark on another topic if I were you.

I am in the military and have relatives who work for the federal govt, one o whom posts here, you can't tell me shat about federal workers.

You are an Asshole sometimes. You Are in denial. You cannot speak for all Federal Workers honestly. You can't seem to speak to normal people honorably. Did I forget to say, you are an Asshole.

1. Federal workers ARE overpaid. The ones at the lower, non-skilled or barely-skilled, levels are paid much more than their private sector counterparts.

Prove it.
I could link to the WaPo story in the OP.

But, I'm wondering why I should do that when all you have to do it click on that link in the OP.

Is there a reason I should do redundant work? Remember, I don't work for the federal government any longer, so redundant work is not something I do with any frequency any longer.

Prove it.

But, I'm wondering why I should do that when all you have to do it click on that link in the OP.

Is there a reason I should do redundant work? Remember, I don't work for the federal government any longer, so redundant work is not something I do with any frequency any longer.

I didn't ask you for a link you insolent twat. I asked you for evidence. The OP link says:
On the other hand, some federal blue-collar and clerical workers are paid more than those in the private sector.

Prove it.

I didn't ask you for a link you insolent twat. I asked you for evidence. The OP link says:
On the other hand, some federal blue-collar and clerical workers are paid more than those in the private sector.
The WaPo isn't good enough for you, you prematurely ejaculating diminutive and drooling dick?

The WaPo isn't good enough for you, you prematurely ejaculating diminutive and drooling dick?

YOU said 1. "Federal workers ARE overpaid. The ones at the lower, non-skilled or barely-skilled, levels are paid much more than their private sector counterparts."

WaPost says SOME are overpaid.

Justify your implication that they are in general overpaid (not just SOME) - and that they are paid MUCH more than their counterparts (The wapo didn't say "much" more, just more)

YOU said 1. "Federal workers ARE overpaid. The ones at the lower, non-skilled or barely-skilled, levels are paid much more than their private sector counterparts."

WaPost says SOME are overpaid.

Justify your implication that they are in general overpaid (not just SOME) - and that they are paid MUCH more than their counterparts (The wapo didn't say "much" more, just more)
Okie doke.

America's Best- And Worst-Paying Jobs - Forbes.com

Federal pay ahead of private industry - USATODAY.com

Forum List

Back