Fears of hottest year on record as global temperatures spike

Jessica-stormlover

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2021

Fears of hottest year on record as global temperatures spike​

Global temperatures have accelerated to record-setting levels this month, an ominous sign in the climate crisis ahead of a gathering El Niño that could potentially propel 2023 to become the hottest year ever recorded.

Preliminary global average temperatures taken so far in June are nearly 1C (1.8F) above levels previously recorded for the same month, going back to 1979. While the month is not yet complete and may not set a new June record, climate scientists say it follows a pattern of strengthening global heating that could see this year named the hottest ever recorded, topping 2016.

The long-term warming conditions caused by the burning of fossil fuels will likely receive a further pulse of heat via El Niño, a naturally recurring phenomenon where sections of the Pacific Ocean heat up, typically causing temperatures to spike across the world.
While people are feeling the heat on land, an even more remarkable burst of warmth is occurring in the seas, with Noaa confirming a second consecutive month of record high ocean surface temperatures in May. Excess heat in the oceans, which cover 70% of the globe’s surface, influence overall global temperatures, as well as warp fish populations, bleach coral reefs and drive coastal sea level rise.

Fears of hottest year on record as global temperatures spike
I think i'll be close or maybe 2nd to 2016, but we will see. If we can start seeing some seriously hot months from this month forward we'll have a chance.

Fears of hottest year on record as global temperatures spike​

I think i'll be close or maybe 2nd to 2016, but we will see. If we can start seeing some seriously hot months from this month forward we'll have a chance.

You're silly. It's the middle of June in SW Wisconsin, and the temperatures are still going down in the 50's at night.

No rational arguments are offered by the denialists anymore.

All they have is screams of 'is not, is not, is not', as we have the pleasure of reading here!

Says one whose Canadian forestry management is so crappy, his whole country is burning down.

Hey Canadian! Quit burning your shit. All that smoke is coming down this way, you fucking polluters.

FIRMS%20US%20Canada%2011%20June.jpg

Says one whose Canadian forestry management is so crappy, his whole country is burning down.

Hey Canadian! Quit burning your shit. All that smoke is coming down this way, you fucking polluters.

FIRMS%20US%20Canada%2011%20June.jpg
Your ignorance has caused you to make the case for climate change.

What did I just say about no rational argument coming out of the denialists?

Yeah, that. 2023 started out still with a negative ENSO state, plus air temps lag the ENSO state by several months. So 2023 won't break the 1-year record. It started out too cool for that.

However, the last 6 months of 2023 probably will break the all-time 6-month record.

And that folks, is how one changes the denialist's attitudes to becoming more rational!

While some of the low brows will always need to spew their venom and screams of 'is nots'.

Forum List

Back