New Sclerosponge Temp Reconstruction Indicates We've Already Experienced 1.7C of Warming

The carbonate skeletons of long-lived sponges give excellent sea surface temperature values prior to their widespread instrumental measurement. A reconstruction using them for SST values shows greater post-industrial warming than prior reconstructions

This is a link to Nature.com/Climate Change which has no paywall.

"Anthropogenic emissions drive global-scale warming yet the temperature increase relative to pre-industrial levels is uncertain. Using 300 years of ocean mixed-layer temperature records preserved in sclerosponge carbonate skeletons, we demonstrate that industrial-era warming began in the mid-1860s, more than 80 years earlier than instrumental sea surface temperature records. The Sr/Ca palaeothermometer was calibrated against ‘modern’ (post-1963) highly correlated (R2 = 0.91) instrumental records of global sea surface temperatures, with the pre-industrial defined by nearly constant (<±0.1 °C) temperatures from 1700 to the early 1860s. Increasing ocean and land-air temperatures overlap until the late twentieth century, when the land began warming at nearly twice the rate of the surface oceans. Hotter land temperatures, together with the earlier onset of industrial-era warming, indicate that global warming was already 1.7 ± 0.1 °C above pre-industrial levels by 2020. Our result is 0.5 °C higher than IPCC estimates, with 2 °C global warming projected by the late 2020s, nearly two decades earlier than expected."
So what , if you have to tell my asss is on fire, it probably isn't.

And this professor is facing many others who doubt what he claims

Even in the unlikely event that alarmists are finally right about the 1.7 degrees, so what?

Climate changes are gradual, we won’t go to sleep in Dallas and wake up in a beach house at the Gulf of Mexico. Humans have been migrating to adjust to climate change for all of our existence.

Even in the unlikely event that alarmists are finally right about the 1.7 degrees, so what?

Climate changes are gradual, we won’t go to sleep in Dallas and wake up in a beach house at the Gulf of Mexico. Humans have been migrating to adjust to climate change for all of our existence.
Current rates of CO2 increase and temperature increase are 7-12 times faster than any warming that has taken place in at least the last 3 million years

Current rates of CO2 increase and temperature increase are 7-12 times faster than any warming that has taken place in at least the last 3 million years

But you can never show us in a lab how an extra 100PPM of CO2 raises temperature

wow.

The thermometers must have really been primitive three million years ago.
Do you really not know how it's done? Open Google and ask it "how do scientists find the Earth's temperature millions of years ago". Then fucking read what it shows you. You do know how to read don't you?

Do you really not know how it's done? Open Google and ask it "how do scientists find the Earth's temperature millions of years ago". Then fucking read what it shows you. You do know how to read don't you?
Since you are making the claim, not Google, I'd prefer for you to explain it in your own words.

If Google ever starts a thread with such a nonsensical claim, I'll ask Google for an explanation.

Since you are making the claim, not Google, I'd prefer for you to explain it in your own words.

If Google ever starts a thread with such a nonsensical claim, I'll ask Google for an explanation.

I want him to show the fastest temperature increase between 3 million and 1 million years ago.

Forum List

Back