Favorite Cryptic Songs?

ScorpioRising007

Platinum Member
Oct 26, 2015
What are some of your favorite Cryptic Songs with hidden meaning?

I have enjoyed songs that I found were like a puzzle. Hotel California is one such song. I would be listening to the song over and over as a kid wondering what are they singing about? What are some songs with cryptic lyrics that you enjoy?

Hotel California by the Eagles

"Scarborough Fair" a traditional English ballad - Sung by Simon & Garfunkle is another song I always found Cryptic and like a puzzle that I enjoyed trying to find out the meaning behind the lyrics.

Simon & Garfunkle - "Scarborough Fair"

The lyrics are wild in this song. If you hear the real explanation for them, you still wont fully understand it. Its about a theory on certain humans being on a higher evolutionary level because they have a few more chromosomes, but used in a way to describe him wanting to evolve his mental state or maybe consciousness. Its all weird as fuck. Great song!

What are some of your favorite Cryptic Songs with hidden meaning?

I have enjoyed songs that I found were like a puzzle. Hotel California is one such song. I would be listening to the song over and over as a kid wondering what are they singing about? What are some songs with cryptic lyrics that you enjoy?

Hotel California by the Eagles

If i am not mistaken, i think its about cocaine addiction and being unable to kick the habit.

"You can check out any time you want ('check out' is a euphemism for 'get high'), but you can never leave (you cant kick the habit)."

Last edited:

This song is about a soldier fighting in a war when a mortar blasts off his face, legs, and arms. So now, the soldier is trapped in his body for the rest of his life with no hope of communications with the outside world.

Its from the book "Johnny got a gun"... i think thats the title.

He slams his head into the pillow continuously, which leads them to believe that he went crazy. One day one of his army buddies comes and visits him in the hospital and realizes that him slamming his head is actually Morse Code.

The doctors ask, "what is he saying".

The soldier responds, "he is saying 'kill me', over and over again, 'kill me'."

Its from the book "Johnny got a gun"... i think thats the title.

He slams his head into the pillow continuously, which leads them to believe that he went crazy. One day one of his army buddies comes and visits him in the hospital and realizes that him slamming his head is actually Morse Code.

The doctors ask, "what is he saying".

The soldier responds, "he is saying 'kill me', over and over again, 'kill me'."
i seen the original movie.....pretty depressing.....

This was written by Fetterman and Biden back when they were a little more lucid.
fetterman.jpeg

I always thought Zephyr by Red Hot Chili Peppers was cryptic, I struggled as a kid to understand the lyrics. I read somewhere it means a light wind from the west

Here is another, with a lot of cryptic undertones … a lot of Leonard Cohen’s songs were like this.

I've seen the Temptations perform this song live several times, and thought it was just a sad song about a guy who lost his girlfriend. Actually the lyricist who wrote the song was so distraught over learning that his wife was cheating on him, that he committed suicide a week after the song was released.

Forum List

Back