Faith Healing Parents Assert Religious Rights

I think this is rather different than not having shots. It's a case of an infant with a clearly preventable illness whose parents will not take it to the hospital because of their religious beliefs. I don't think that ought to be permitted.

I agree with that. But a case of parents deciding for an infant is quite different.

It's still a blurry line though. One has to see the doctor to tell if it is something serious and if one does not believe in doctors then how would they know. Much like the Amish, though they do use primitive medicine in most cases, still they are not held accountable by law because they do not believe in seeing the doctor in the first place, so if their own practitioners of medicine do not know something is more serious, or curable, they cannot be held liable by law because their religious belief forbids them from finding out. While I think it's stupid in some cases, there are just as many reasons why it's valid.

That is a good point, but a good place to start is: when the belief physically causes harm to another person it should be outlawed just to protect the other person, if the harm is only done to the one choosing to follow the belief, let them have at it.

So circumcision would be outlawed?

See?

It all sounds so simple, till you try to apply it in real life, then it gets muddled by the details.

Oh, special note, I don't trust docs myself for personal reasons and the only thing I go to them for is if I am hurting enough that I can barely move.

You will (statistically speaking) live longer if you stick to that system, KK.

So circumcision would be outlawed?

See?

It all sounds so simple, till you try to apply it in real life, then it gets muddled by the details.

Actually, that should be because it's torture and does harm the infant. Also I have said it's all fuzzy, not that there is a clear right and wrong in it, thus why it's a good place to START, not to end.

You will (statistically speaking) live longer if you stick to that system, KK.

That is one of the strange things I have noticed as well. The statistics show that those who don't go to the doctors, smoke, and drink live longer than those who go to the doctors all the time, never smoke, and never drink. How odd is that?

Parents are entitled to their religious beliefs, however, they are NOT entitled to use those beliefs as justification for refusing to seek medical help. Their child comes FIRST, not their religion.

I have no compassion for these idiots. People who let other people die should be put away forever.

That is one of the strange things I have noticed as well. The statistics show that those who don't go to the doctors, smoke, and drink live longer than those who go to the doctors all the time, never smoke, and never drink. How odd is that?
I would postulate that those cases have a lot to do with stress and worry about their life. Relaxed living is longer living, in a vacuum.

Some aspects certainly are. Other aspects are quite commendable. But the commendable aspects aren't usually those practiced by religious conservatives in this country, which is why it's always assumed that I'm an atheist when I condemn them.
What commendable aspects are not practiced?

There's no way to come down on this that doesn't violate some cherished principle or the other.

On one hand few of us wants the government to start deciding which of our religious beliefs is okay.

On the other hand, none of us wants to allow every goofy religious belief or practice to get a pass, either.

We do NOT have complete freedom of religion, folks, and we never will.

It would not be possible to actually have complete freedom of religion, because there's always some religion out there waiting to make something most of us think is or should be a CRIME part of their religious practice.

Remember folks, one man's deeply held religious belief is another man's psychotic delusion.
Is that a bad thing that we don't have COMPLETE religious freedom?

That is a good point, but a good place to start is: when the belief physically causes harm to another person it should be outlawed just to protect the other person, if the harm is only done to the one choosing to follow the belief, let them have at it.
That is generally a good starting position.

Fisty The Badger. That is the funniest name i've seen on here in a while.

I would postulate that those cases have a lot to do with stress and worry about their life. Relaxed living is longer living, in a vacuum.

Yeah ... considering how many die of heart attacks. I wonder if anyone has the stats that show the correlation handy, just to see if observation measures fact, it's the last few hours of my b-day and I am too tired and relaxed to search myself.

Forum List

Back