Face it: Monogamy is unnatural

BlueGin

Diamond Member
Jul 10, 2004
Interesting... so now we live way too long, and therefore can't be expected to be monogamous. I also find it funny that our society has such a problem with this concept ( monogamy) that they must seek out proof that even the animals thought to mate for life...don't. And therefore how can humans be expected to. Makes me laugh. :lol:

Editor's note: Meghan Laslocky is the author of "The Little Book of Heartbreak: Love Gone Wrong Through the Ages" (Plume/Penguin 2013).

(CNN) -- Kristen Stewart, Ryan Phillippe, LeAnn Rimes, Jude Law, Mark Sanford and Bill Clinton. What do they have in common?

Many are quick to label a person who strays from his or her marriage or relationship as a "cheater," but it's really not that simple. It's time for our culture to wake up and smell the sex pheromones: monogamy is not natural for many, or probably even most, humans.

With people living longer than ever before, a greater tolerance toward the human impulse to experience sexual variety is needed. Whether a person succeeds at being sexually monogamous depends as much on biology as environment.

History and biology suggest that strict monogamy, which has social advantages, is not a "one size" fits all proposition.

Opinion: Monogamy is unnatural - CNN.com

Last edited:
Lots of things that are bad for us are "natural".

Our ability to override our desires and establish behavior codes that lift us above what is "natural" is what makes us human.

The human life span has increased by decades. 150 years ago, a long marriage was 10-15 years - the odds of one partner dying were quite high.

Monogamy is a better structure for raising children, so in that sense, for rational creatures, it is natural.

Lots of things that are bad for us are "natural".

Our ability to override our desires and establish behavior codes that lift us above what is "natural" is what makes us human.

Exactly. You hear this argument in other aspects of human behavior also though.. not just in terms of monogamy, and it makes me scratch my head. Animals eat each others shit and drink out of the toilet too. Doesn't mean humans should do the same. I like to think we are more evolved.

Don't know. When I am interested in someone it's usually for the long haul and when ended it takes me years to break free of the assortment of entwined feelings involved. I just don't see how people can be that detached if they are invested in something.

Interesting... so now we live way too long, and therefore can't be expected to be monogamous. I also find it funny that our society has such a problem with this concept ( monogamy) that they must seek out proof that even the animals thought to mate for life...don't. And therefore how can humans be expected to. Makes me laugh. :lol:

Editor's note: Meghan Laslocky is the author of "The Little Book of Heartbreak: Love Gone Wrong Through the Ages" (Plume/Penguin 2013).

(CNN) -- Kristen Stewart, Ryan Phillippe, LeAnn Rimes, Jude Law, Mark Sanford and Bill Clinton. What do they have in common?

Many are quick to label a person who strays from his or her marriage or relationship as a "cheater," but it's really not that simple. It's time for our culture to wake up and smell the sex pheromones: monogamy is not natural for many, or probably even most, humans.

With people living longer than ever before, a greater tolerance toward the human impulse to experience sexual variety is needed. Whether a person succeeds at being sexually monogamous depends as much on biology as environment.

History and biology suggest that strict monogamy, which has social advantages, is not a "one size" fits all proposition.

only for men.lol

only for men.lol

That was once the case, but now women are cheating as much as men.

If someone is unfulfilled in their relationship, they have a choice of either ending it, cheating, or resigning themselves to being unfulfilled (if the other partner is incapable or unwilling to work on it).

These days fewer and fewer people are resigning themselves to the idea that they just have to face it and "be strong".

only for men.lol

If someone is unfulfilled in their relationship, they have a choice of either ending it, cheating, or resigning themselves to being unfulfilled (if the other partner is incapable or unwilling to work on it).

These days fewer and fewer people are resigning themselves to the idea that they just have to face it and "be strong".

I believe that it is because we now live in a throw away society and are taught that when things are too hard to just give up. And not to value relationships.

only for men.lol

Right...because all men think they are the "alpha" and need to be with the prime females. Even if they are old,balding,beer bellied,past their prime slobs. ;)

Last edited:

only for men.lol

One thing that my wife and I do is not control every minute and every aspect of each others lives. We are free to come and go as we please and see whom we want without harassment or drama.

only for men.lol

Right...because all men think they are the "alpha" and need to be with the prime females. Even if they are old,balding,beer bellied,past their prime slobs. ;)

please, I just ate lunch.

Survival of the species.

Hardly a concern in an over populated world. I think that excuse is quite out dated.:eusa_whistle:

Ya but our chemistry is still pretty much the same. It's in our nature. We are naturally sexually attracted to numerous people in a lifetime. We must repress our natural instincts to comply with social and religious norms. I'm not saying anything is wrong with that. I just think sexual monogamy is a social convention and not a biologically natural one.

Survival of the species.

Hardly a concern in an over populated world. I think that excuse is quite out dated.:eusa_whistle:

Ya but our chemistry is still pretty much the same. It's in our nature. We are naturally sexually attracted to numerous people in a lifetime. We must repress our natural instincts to comply with social and religious norms. I'm not saying anything is wrong with that. I just think sexual monogamy is a social convention and not a biologically natural one.

So, are you saying that it's the nature of both sexes or just the men?

You could say honesty is unnatural or self control is unnatural. Leave it to the ignorant left to try to redefine society.

Forum List

Back