Face it: Monogamy is unnatural

:eusa_eh:

A tree falls in the woods.

If nobody heard it, did it make a sound?

I don't know...would you like it better if your business partner stabbed you in the back...rather than your wife?

Not the point. And yours is a poor analogy: If someone stabbs, you feel it, whether or not they want you to feel it.

If someone is a liar/dishonest/disloyal, etc., you may not feel it.

If you never feel it, then it never mattered.

Obviously if you know they are a liar/dishonest/disloyal...then you have felt it. I must have misunderstood your meaning about trees originally.

So, no. What you don't know can't hurt you...but it doesn't mean your significant other or business partner isn't a liar/dishonest/disloyal. It's still part of their character...it just means they haven't gotten caught.

We are not shackled into mating by instinct as other animals are. We can choose to mate, we can choose whether or not to reproduce just as we can choose to be faithful.

Which is the point the article is trying to dispute. And it is not the first article I have read that does this in length. I'm guessing in this one area humans are expected to devolve.

The article is only disputing our social standards

With people living longer than ever before, a greater tolerance toward the human impulse to experience sexual variety is needed.

Frankly, I'm not sure why longevity has anything to do with it.

The author thought it sounded better? I don't really see what living longer has to do with it anyway. If you out live your spouse...no one expects you to go on alone.

Which is the point the article is trying to dispute. And it is not the first article I have read that does this in length. I'm guessing in this one area humans are expected to devolve.

With people living longer than ever before, a greater tolerance toward the human impulse to experience sexual variety is needed.

The author thought it sounded better? I don't really see what living longer has to do with it anyway. If you out live your spouse...no one expects you to go on alone.

I think the longevity factor is meant to include a possibility of different needs at different times of one's life. Such as, one may need another until the kids are grown and gone, and only to find themselves strangers, with the familial aspect of the relationship over. Then they may part, and look for someone to go through middle-age with, working, etc., and then when that seldom works, they may look for someone with the same attitudes towards retirement.

I prefer being and staying single. Having a special friend who lives elsewhere. It's just more peaceful and rewarding than being in a relationship and I do say this with many frames of reference. There were also fiances`......:eusa_whistle:

Some anthropologists have argued this (that monogamy is unnatural). Following Engels, Morgan and others they claim that the existence of polygyny and polyandry in many societies demonstrates that there is nothing 'natural' about the 'family' as we in North America and Western Europe envisage it.

Last edited:

Well, true, but not really what I was thinking.

Regardless of age, why should anyone be judged based on their tolerance for monogamy?

I think the longevity factor is meant to include a possibility of different needs at different times of one's life. Such as, one may need another until the kids are grown and gone, and only to find themselves strangers, with the familial aspect of the relationship over. Then they may part, and look for someone to go through middle-age with, working, etc., and then when that seldom works, they may look for someone with the same attitudes towards retirement.

I prefer being and staying single. Having a special friend who lives elsewhere. It's just more peaceful and rewarding than being in a relationship and I do say this with many frames of reference. There were also fiances`......:eusa_whistle:

Very well said:clap2:

Regardless of age, why should anyone be judged based on their tolerance for monogamy?

I don't think they are...as long as they don't enter into a relationship based on that philosophy or lead their partner to a false assumption.

Last edited:
I believe that people may feel attraction for another person while in a monogamous relationship, but STD's are scientific proof that humans should not screw many random people.
I hadn't considered that point but it's worth pondering.

Nature has a way of controlling such things as population growth and the threat of STDs just might be one of them. If syphilis and gonorrhea weren't sufficiently intimidating to deter casual sex, I'm sure the emergence of AIDS has had an effect.

So maybe your natural deterrent theory is sound.

I believe that people may feel attraction for another person while in a monogamous relationship, but STD's are scientific proof that humans should not screw many random people.
I hadn't considered that point but it's worth pondering.

Nature has a way of controlling such things as population growth and the threat of STDs just might be one of them. If syphilis and gonorrhea weren't sufficiently intimidating to deter casual sex, I'm sure the emergence of AIDS has had an effect.

So maybe your natural deterrent theory is sound.

I think STD's such as AIDS would be a deterrent from any sex at all if that were the case.

I don't think they are...as long as they don't enter into a relationship based on that philosophy or lead their partner to a false assumption.

You don't think there is any pressure to become married in practically every society on Earth?

Did you just arrive from another planet?

You don't think there is any pressure to become married in practically every society on Earth?

Pressure by society for a person to marry and/or being judged due to your tolerance for being monogamous are two different things. But with both...they are still choices you make as an individual. You don't believe in either one? Don't make the choice. Simple.

Pressure by society for a person to marry and/or being judged due to your tolerance for being monogamous are two different things. But with both...they are still choices you make as an individual. You don't believe in either one? Don't make the choice. Simple.

Planet Blue Gin is a simple place.

Well heteros seem to be shacking up just as the homos can legally call themselves *married* and there's enormous pressure on them all to be monogamous. If it was so natural why the pressure ?

Some people just want to fuck around and will look for any excuse or justification to do so. There is nothing particularly wrong with that. The fucker just needs to be honest and tell all partners that they could be exposed to disease.

Planet Samson doesn't take a liking to being responsible for own actions.

Some people just want to fuck around and will look for any excuse or justification to do so. There is nothing particularly wrong with that. The fucker just needs to be honest and tell all partners that they could be exposed to disease.

Key being...honesty. I'm thinking most people don't like being cheated on...no matter how much of a fuss some people are making in this thread that it's "natural". :eusa_shhh:

Planet Samson doesn't take a liking to being responsible for own actions.

Not sure where you got that from.

Fact: Society Pressures Individual Behaviour in Humans.

If you don't understand this, then you're probably not very aware of reality.

Key being...honesty. I'm thinking most people don't like being cheated on...no matter how much of a fuss some people are making in this thread that it's "natural". :eusa_shhh:

Of course. if you get cheated on it usually fucks up your ego more than causes you to go to the doc. If you are the cheater you just hope you don't get caught.

The question is not whether or not Most people like or dislike "being cheated on."

The question is: Why is it even refered to as "cheating?"

You seem to like making the judgement, more than explaining why anyone should be judged.

Forum List

Back