Expect deep increases in health insurance premiums

chanel

Silver Member
Jun 8, 2009
People's Republic of NJ
“As a consequence of the Affordable Care Act,” the president said in September 2010, ”premiums are going to be lower than they would be otherwise; health care costs overall are going to be lower than they would be otherwise.”

Gruber’s new reports are in direct contrast Obama’s words — and with claims Gruber himself made in 2009. Then, the economics professor said that based on figures provided by the independent Congressional Budget Office, “[health care] reform will significantly reduce, not increase, non-group premiums.”

During his presentation to Wisconsin officials in August 2011, Gruber revealed that while about 57 percent of those who get their insurance through the individual market will benefit in one way or another from the law’s subsides, an even larger majority of the individual market will end up paying drastically more overall.

“After the application of tax subsidies, 59 percent of the individual market will experience an average premium increase of 31 percent,” Gruber reported.

Read more: Obamacare Architect | Health Care Premium Increases | Gruber | The Daily Caller

"Did we say premiums would go down? Oops. What we meant is...." :evil:

It has to scare the crap out of people when government
passes a bill that is over 2000+ pages and most of the people
who voted for it have no idea what's in it.
I refer to Princess Nancy in particular and to the congressman
who said he needed a team of lawyers to explain it to him.

Not to mention a President who signed the bill.
I bet he doesn't have a clue about half the stuff that's in it.
If this thing is so good how come the WH ended up passing out a bunch of waivers
to people that wanted no part of it.

I never did get an explanation from anyone here to my question.
If we are adding I forget how many exactly now, maybe a few million people
to the health care system.Where are the doctors and health care facilities
that will be needed to care for the additional surge of new patients.

exactly what is the misunderstanding of legislation empowering business to institute mandatory purchases?

~S~

It has to scare the crap out of people when government
passes a bill that is over 2000+ pages and most of the people
who voted for it have no idea what's in it.
I refer to Princess Nancy in particular and to the congressman
who said he needed a team of lawyers to explain it to him.

Not to mention a President who signed the bill.
I bet he doesn't have a clue about half the stuff that's in it.
If this thing is so good how come the WH ended up passing out a bunch of waivers
to people that wanted no part of it.

I never did get an explanation from anyone here to my question.
If we are adding I forget how many exactly now, maybe a few million people
to the health care system.Where are the doctors and health care facilities
that will be needed to care for the additional surge of new patients.

Exactly. Premiums up: services down. But don't worry. Single payer will solve all that. "Did we say that wasn't the goal? Oops. What we meant was..."

There are a few knuckleheads on here who think the Catholic church should get out of the hospital business and shut down 1/3 of the healthcare centers in this country. They really need to lay off the crack pipe.

“As a consequence of the Affordable Care Act,” the president said in September 2010, ”premiums are going to be lower than they would be otherwise; health care costs overall are going to be lower than they would be otherwise.”

Gruber’s new reports are in direct contrast Obama’s words — and with claims Gruber himself made in 2009. Then, the economics professor said that based on figures provided by the independent Congressional Budget Office, “[health care] reform will significantly reduce, not increase, non-group premiums.”

During his presentation to Wisconsin officials in August 2011, Gruber revealed that while about 57 percent of those who get their insurance through the individual market will benefit in one way or another from the law’s subsides, an even larger majority of the individual market will end up paying drastically more overall.

“After the application of tax subsidies, 59 percent of the individual market will experience an average premium increase of 31 percent,” Gruber reported.

Read more: Obamacare Architect | Health Care Premium Increases | Gruber | The Daily Caller

There is no way in hell that anybody who actually understand the HC delivery system could have TRULY thought that the "Affordable Care Act" was going to bring the overall cost of HC down.

Or if they did?

Then they truly are dumber than a post.

As I do NOT believe that the people in charge are that stupid, I am inclined to think that these people knew perfectly well what the outcome of this bill is going to be.

Make health care so expensive that people can't afford it and they will demand that it be universal single payer and increase their taxes. Make higher education so expensive that people can't afford it and they will demand that taxes be increased to cover universal college tuition. Pick something, anything, housing, food, heating, gas for your car. Manipulate the price up so that few can afford it, and for the good of all, the government will have to enforce fairness.

That's the way to totalitarianism.

Some perspective would be useful. The piece of Gruber's analysis for Wisconsin being highlighted here is about the state's individual market. Only 5 percent of the state's population is in the individual market.

Of that 5 percent of the population, he's saying 59% will pay a premium that's higher on average by 31% and the other 41% of folks will pay a premium that's lower by an average of 56%. Part of it has to do with the state's high-risk plan's membership joining the individual market (without Gruber attempting to predict what happens to the money currently used to fund care for those people--it could easily be used for some sort of reinsurance plan to mitigate the premium increases they cause when they join the individual market), part of it is some people migrating to insurance plans with a higher actuarial value, some of it is Wisconsin tightening up its rating and issue rules.

he's so fucked up it hurts when I laugh anymore.

Forum List

Back