A Modest Proposal (Think Jonathan Swift) on Health Insurance and Health Costs

You are, of course, wrong.
Heh.. of course :rolleyes:
I had shoulder replacement surgery earlier this year. I've very good insurance through my employer. I was not offered a choice of what type of shoulder to install, what type of anesthetic, the shape of the scar, they size of the bed...
There are plenty of consumer choices involved. And there would be many more if there was actually demand. If all patients weren't riding the insurance gravy train.
Why do you think there are PAs, Nurse Practitioners, Nurse Aides?
To reduce costs.
Do those reduced costs result in lower costs or higher profits?

In the town in which I used to live easily 80% of the doctors are part of a single group.
Any competition there?

Doctors refer patients to imaging owned by the same business that owns there practice.
Then doctors refer patients to surgeons within the same business.
Then the patient goes to a hospital owned by the same business.
All of these are driven by the same cause: the lack of demand from health care consumers.
Of course you don't see the problem because to you, unbridled capitalism is the solution to every problem when, in reality, GREED, which is a synonym of Capitalism, is the cause of most problems in the world.
Not really. I just want to address the factors causing the spiraling health care costs. And I think the biggest of those factors is the broken market dynamics caused by relying on insurance too much.

Last edited:
I just want to address the factors causing the spiraling health care costs. And I think the biggest of those factors is the broken market dynamics caused by relying on insurance too much.
So get rid of it.
1. Outlaw campaign contributions for elective Federal Offices.. as a start.
2. Real Medicare4All.. meaning one insurer (the government) for all basic healthcare. No insurance cards. No more fear of losing your HC if you quit a job to do work you love doing more. No ACA. No more insurance behemoths injecting themselves between you and your HC provider. Go get checked out and fixed up directly. Go home. Done.

So get rid of it.
1. Outlaw campaign contributions for elective Federal Offices.. as a start.
Hmmm... so only rich people can afford to run for office?

2. Real Medicare4All.. meaning one insurer (the government) for all basic healthcare. No insurance cards. No more fear of losing your HC if you quit a job to do work you love doing more. No ACA. No more insurance behemoths injecting themselves between you and your HC provider. Go get checked out and fixed up directly. Go home. Done.
So we'll replace a handful of corrupt insurance corporations that are in bed with the government, with one insurance corporation, run by the government. Where's the improvement?

Hmmm... so only rich people can afford to run for office?

So we'll replace a handful of corrupt insurance corporations that are in bed with the government, with one insurance corporation, run by the government. Where's the improvement?
No, but thanks for remaining shallow!

how is that an improvement?
Medicare? Worked just fine until the for-profit insurance behemoths inevitably began sucking the blood out of it. That's why #1 has to come first then Medicare4All, very deliberately, puts the insurance behemoths permanently out of business! Also, progressive taxes replace the current, ridiculously complex, regressive, small business destroying, employer-based funding scheme, aka welfare for the rich and giant corporations.

Medicare? Worked just fine until the for-profit insurance behemoths inevitably began sucking the blood out of it. That's why #1 has to come first then Medicare4All, very deliberately, puts the insurance behemoths permanently out of business!
We've talked about this before. Medicare is outsourced to private insurance companies. For profit insurance companies.

In any case, Medicare is a safety net program. Safety nets don't work if everyone climbs in. They're not designed for that.

Heh.. of course :rolleyes:

There are plenty of consumer choices involved. And there would be many more if there was actually demand. If all patients weren't riding the insurance gravy train.

Really?
What are the choices for the materials used for a shoulder arthroplasty?

So the problem is insurance?
Person pays for insurance.
The total cost of the insurance annually is $16k.
My deductible is $3000.

Person goes to doctor AFTER deductible.
Insurance says it will pay this much.
Doctor says OK but wants more money.
Solution? More patients.
Not charging less per patient to drive revenues but giving each patient less time.
But the doctor is just part of a practice and most of the money goes to the practice while the doctor just gets a salary.
The doctor, in order to keep his job must see a certain number of patients.
Why? Because the practice demands revenue and in business yra over year revenues must increase.
SO...
The practice hires PAs an NAs, and NPs at 1/2 the cost of a doctor or nurse and the doctor "oversees" these employees.
Now the PA and the NP can see twice as many patients generating twice the revenue for 1/4 of the cost.
Meanwhile the practice which is owned by a big company like Kettering has MRIs and other equipment which also require patients for their revenue stream so the doctor, whether or not its needed, send to patient to a company owned facility for a few thousand dollars in testing...

This is the nature of capitalism which seeks only to serve the capitalist and always at the expense of the consumer.

Really?
What are the choices for the materials used for a shoulder arthroplasty?

So the problem is insurance?
Person pays for insurance.
The total cost of the insurance annually is $16k.
My deductible is $3000.

Person goes to doctor AFTER deductible.
Insurance says it will pay this much.
Doctor says OK but wants more money.
Solution? More patients.
Not charging less per patient to drive revenues but giving each patient less time.
But the doctor is just part of a practice and most of the money goes to the practice while the doctor just gets a salary.
The doctor, in order to keep his job must see a certain number of patients.
Why? Because the practice demands revenue and in business yra over year revenues must increase.
SO...
The practice hires PAs an NAs, and NPs at 1/2 the cost of a doctor or nurse and the doctor "oversees" these employees.
Now the PA and the NP can see twice as many patients generating twice the revenue for 1/4 of the cost.
Meanwhile the practice which is owned by a big company like Kettering has MRIs and other equipment which also require patients for their revenue stream so the doctor, whether or not its needed, send to patient to a company owned facility for a few thousand dollars in testing...
They get away with all this because no one cares how much their health care costs. Hardly anyone ever even asks. That's a laughably broken market. It can't not produce spiraling costs.
This is the nature of capitalism which seeks only to serve the capitalist and always at the expense of the consumer.
"Profit is bad, mkay"

Exactly.
#3 Without the "health insurance" corporations to use for cover, Medicare can get back to fighting such fraud tactics and paying only reasonable amounts for reasonably provided, professional services.

No one should be getting rich for managing or providing health care.

Last edited:
Agree. Mostly. But I'm not really seeing where ACA was a "good idea" to begin with. The whole thing was a feeding trough for the health care / health insurance industries from the beginning.
That's because the ACA was NOT a good idea to begin with. It attempted to fund the insurance industry instead of bypassing it, and no one was surprised when all it did was drive up costs.

They get away with all this because no one cares how much their health care costs. Hardly anyone ever even asks. That's a laughably broken market. It can't not produce spiraling costs.

"Profit is bad, mkay"
Profit? No.
Greed? Yes.

You defend greed.

Exactly.
#3 Without the "health insurance" corporations to use for cover, Medicare can get back to fighting such fraud tactics and paying only reasonable amounts for reasonably provided, professional services.

No one should be getting rich for managing or providing health care.
When one steps back and simply looks at the problem outside the political lens the solution is clear.

Eliminate the profit motive from health care.

Government owned hospitals, clinics, testing facilities, staffed by government employed doctors, nurses, technicians and support personnel.

Funded by tax dollars.

This doesn't mean that there can't be private hospitals, doctors, etc. and even insurance but, as shown by comparing the US system to systems around the world such a system would reduce health care costs by 50% or more while providing better outcomes for patients.

Shouldn't that be the goal over making millionaires and billionaires even richer?

Forum List

Back