"Ender's Game" Boycott

JoeB131

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2011
Chicago, Chicago, that Toddling Town
As a break from "All Zimmerman, All the time", how about this story?

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/21/opinion/sunday/the-enders-game-boycott.html?_r=1&

Geeks Out wants to sink the film to punish Orson Scott Card, who wrote the 1985 novel “Ender’s Game” and was one of several producers for the screen adaptation. In 1990, Mr. Card argued in the magazine Sunstone that “laws against homosexual behavior should remain on the books” and “be used when necessary to send a clear message that those who flagrantly violate society’s regulation of sexual behavior cannot be permitted to remain as acceptable, equal citizens within that society.” He was on the board of the National Organization for Marriage, which opposes same-sex unions, from 2009 until this year.

Frankly, I'm boycotting it because it was an awful book. 300 pages of jerking off the reader until they got to the payoff, which kind of fell flat.

I don't care what entertainers say or do outside of the entertainment aspect of their lives. The only time I care is when the lines are crossed between what I'm paying to be entertained with and the entertainer's political positions (like at a concert when the lead singer keeps spouting off about his latest pet cause. Just shut up and sing).

So long as the author isn't using his characters as a platform for his views, I could really not care less about his or her politics.

Sodomites don't miss a beat these days. Even a hint of fair and balanced opinion offends their delicate sensibilities.

nobody cares.......

Joe just wants another thread going so he can up his epic forum post total!! The really in deep OCD internet folks are like heroin addicts in need of a fix. When you are pumping out 1,000 posts a month, starting a thread about the scarecrow in the local cornfield will do just fine!!:eusa_dance::D

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/21/opinion/sunday/the-enders-game-boycott.html?_r=1&

Geeks Out wants to sink the film to punish Orson Scott Card, who wrote the 1985 novel “Ender’s Game” and was one of several producers for the screen adaptation. In 1990, Mr. Card argued in the magazine Sunstone that “laws against homosexual behavior should remain on the books” and “be used when necessary to send a clear message that those who flagrantly violate society’s regulation of sexual behavior cannot be permitted to remain as acceptable, equal citizens within that society.” He was on the board of the National Organization for Marriage, which opposes same-sex unions, from 2009 until this year.

Frankly, I'm boycotting it because it was an awful book. 300 pages of jerking off the reader until they got to the payoff, which kind of fell flat.

Robert A Heinlein believes that incest and pederasty are not only okay, but ought to be encouraged to insure a superior breed population!

More importantly than his believing this, he openly advocated that kind of behavior in his books, books often read by adolescents.

How came nobody objects to that creepy old pervert?

The book was highly derivative and repetitive. It was also awfully simplistic. I kept waiting for something cool to happen because it was highly recommended by a friend.

But the "surprise" wasn't much of a surprise at all.

It did come off like something a teenager wrote.

I understand there are sequels.

Yeah..I think Ender becomes sort of a bug messiah or something. The same guy that gave me the first book was like "Dude..read the rest.."

I didn't even like the Dune sequels..there was no way I was investing any time into the Ender series.

It was better when it was only a short story.

Robert A Heinlein believes that incest and pederasty are not only okay, but ought to be encouraged to insure a superior breed population!

More importantly than his believing this, he openly advocated that kind of behavior in his books, books often read by adolescents.

How came nobody objects to that creepy old pervert?
Maybe....because he's dead.

well boycotting books now...man what an important life

It's a movie, not a book.

I wasn't going to see the movie because the book was so awful.

I just wondered what people thought about folks boycotting a movie because the writer/producer is a raging homophobe.

Not reading the book, not watching the movie, don't care what the authors views are. The book nor the movie interest me.

I may need to see this...anything Joey hates almost has to be pretty good.

Actually, Jack-Axle, it's your kind of book. The plot drags on for 300 pages of repetitive action that goes nowhere. For an OCD sufferer like yourself, it's probably gold.

So..., the short version of Atlas Shrugged?

Forum List

Back