"Ender's Game" Boycott

Listen to the far right reactionaries jack on and twaffle.

all I saw was joeb and shallow flirting before the big sweat lodge fest with lakhota.....(KY free and towels extra, proceeds for Detroit bailout fund)

I would have expected a shameless party jumper like you to use this opportunity to take folks to task for their intolerance.......I mean, look, they can't all be Orson Cards, you have to take a stand somewhere, like oh, with Roman Polanski..... :rolleyes:

Listen to the far right reactionaries jack on and twaffle.

all I saw was joeb and shallow flirting before the big sweat lodge fest with lakhota.....(KY free and towels extra, proceeds for Detroit bailout fund)

I would have expected a shameless party jumper like you to use this opportunity to take folks to task for their intolerance.......I mean, look, they can't all be Orson Cards, you have to take a stand somewhere, like oh, with Roman Polanski..... :rolleyes:

If certain lifestyles disgust you, Bulwar, stay away from them.

The article spells it out very well.

This isn’t about stopping the dissemination of antigay sentiments; it’s about isolating Mr. Card and shaming his business partners, thus cutting into their profits.

If Mr. Card belongs in quarantine, who’s next? His views were fairly mainstream when the Sunstone article appeared and, unfortunately, are not unusual today. Just 10 years ago, Justice Antonin Scalia wrote in his inflammatory Lawrence v. Texas dissent that Americans have every right to enforce “the moral opprobrium that has traditionally attached to homosexual conduct” in order to protect themselves “from a lifestyle that they believe to be immoral and destructive.”

On a practical level, the Geeks Out project seems misguided. These things have a way of backfiring, as when former Gov. Mike Huckabee of Arkansas promoted Chick-fil-A Appreciation Day to counter the Chick-fil-A boycott. Attending a goofy popcorn movie could become a way to express disapproval of gays and lesbians — hardly a happy ending.

Did you support the boycott of The Dixie Chicks, katzndogz?

I support anyone who wants to boycott, they have a right to. The left boycotts, the right boycotts. Not seeing a big deal.

I boycott Jack in the Box, their food taste like shit! So, I boycott them. I boycott Honda, their cars are crap. I boycott singers who can't sing and actors who can't act. I boycott Housewives of New Jersey, because it sucks. I boycott Johnny Depp, he is a terrible actor and he looks like an idiot.
The Dixie Chicks, I won't listen to any of their music that I dislike.

Last edited:
I mean, look, they can't all be Orson Cards, you have to take a stand somewhere, like oh, with Roman Polanski..... :rolleyes:

:eusa_hand:

If drugging an underage girl 30 years younger I am, anally violating her without her consent in my friend's house, lying to his girlfriend when I'm about to get caught, and then fleeing to France to escape a jail term, and laughing it off when France won't extradite me is wrong, then I don't want to be right!

The book was indeed a bit over rated. The movie might do it justice.

The whole to do over Orson Scott Card's personal views about homosexuality is expected from the tolerant looney liberal leftist hose heads like JoeBitch.

I wasn't planning on watching the flick when it is released, but when lefties move for a boycott, it is only right to undermine their tawdry stupid efforts. So now I will probably go see it.

I doubt it can be much worse than 90% of the crap being released by Holey-wood these days.

As a break from "All Zimmerman, All the time", how about this story?

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/21/opinion/sunday/the-enders-game-boycott.html?_r=1&

Geeks Out wants to sink the film to punish Orson Scott Card, who wrote the 1985 novel “Ender’s Game” and was one of several producers for the screen adaptation. In 1990, Mr. Card argued in the magazine Sunstone that “laws against homosexual behavior should remain on the books” and “be used when necessary to send a clear message that those who flagrantly violate society’s regulation of sexual behavior cannot be permitted to remain as acceptable, equal citizens within that society.” He was on the board of the National Organization for Marriage, which opposes same-sex unions, from 2009 until this year.

Frankly, I'm boycotting it because it was an awful book. 300 pages of jerking off the reader until they got to the payoff, which kind of fell flat.

Thanks for posting that. Now I know I'll have to go see it. Anytime the left wants to punish someone for their personal beliefs, I want to counter their idiocy.

Last edited:

Frankly, I'm boycotting it because it was an awful book. 300 pages of jerking off the reader until they got to the payoff, which kind of fell flat.

Yah, well, Scott is a member in good standing of the Mormons, & has apparently been v. active in the church for a long time. So you might as well give him a pass on this one, he's not going to go against the church that's been an organizing principle of his life.

I assume he's nearing the end of his writing career, he's had a stroke. He seems to be doing more behind-the-camera production work these days. So he may still be around, but in a different capacity.

Yah, well, Scott is a member in good standing of the Mormons, & has apparently been v. active in the church for a long time. So you might as well give him a pass on this one, he's not going to go against the church that's been an organizing principle of his life.

I assume he's nearing the end of his writing career, he's had a stroke. He seems to be doing more behind-the-camera production work these days. So he may still be around, but in a different capacity.

Well, everyone knows how much I just Loooooove the Mormons.

Sorry, just because you dress up hate and stupidity in vestments and call it religion, I don't give it a pass.

I may need to see this...anything Joey hates almost has to be pretty good.

Actually, Jarlaxle, it's your kind of book. The plot drags on for 300 pages of repetitive action that goes nowhere. For an OCD sufferer like yourself, it's probably gold.

Read it damn near 20 years ago, and it was...OK. Not bad, not great. I don't regret reading it, but I've read better. I read the original short story a few years ago & it was better than the novel.

You're still stuck on "Dick and Jane", then?

Last edited:
I may need to see this...anything Joey hates almost has to be pretty good.

Actually, Jarlaxle, it's your kind of book. The plot drags on for 300 pages of repetitive action that goes nowhere. For an OCD sufferer like yourself, it's probably gold.

Read it damn near 20 years ago, and it was...OK. Not bad, not great. I don't regret reading it, but I've read better. I read the original short story a few years ago & it was better than the novel.

Oh, now you remember reading it?

Frankly, if you thought that was a good book, it explains much. Creepy protagonist who has an incestuous crush on his sister. Two dimensional characters. Oh, yeah, and the "hero" commits genocide at the end of the book.

It's the story of a young boy who was dreadfully abused by the grown-ups who wanted to mold him into an exemplary citizen. Forced to suppress his own emotions in order to avoid being paralyzed by trauma, he directed his energy into duty rather than sex or love. In time, he came to believe that his primary duty was to wipe out a species of gifted but incomprehensible aliens who had devastated his kind in a previous war. He found the idea of exterminating an entire race distasteful, of course. But since he believed it was required to save the people he defined as human, he put the entire weight of his formidable energy behind the effort to wipe out the aliens.

You've read it, you say? It's Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card, right?

Wrong. The aliens I'm talking about were the European Jews, blamed by many Germans for gearing up World War I for their own profit. The book is Robert G. L. Waite's The Psychopathic God: Adolf Hilter.

I don't know of any pair of novels that have been as consistently misinterpreted as Card's Ender's Game and Speaker for the Dead. Even a reader with a rudimentary knowledge of twentieth century history might be expected to guess that the character of Ender Wiggin, the near messianic superhero, is based on that of Adolf Hitler. Card himself is the "Speaker for the Dead" who seeks to understand and forgive the genocidal dictator's behavior by demonstrating that his intentions were good. Because Hitler/Ender committed genocide to preserve the existence and dignity of what he defined as human, he is not a monster but a true Superman who willingly shouldered the heavy responsibility thrust upon him.

Peachfront Speaks

Ender Wiggin as Adolph Hitler? That is a v. heavy load to try to carry on that book. It doesn't seem likely to me, but then I haven't read the thing in ages.

I'll have to look back @ it sometime.

Frankly, if you thought that was a good book, it explains much. Creepy protagonist who has an incestuous crush on his sister. Two dimensional characters. Oh, yeah, and the "hero" commits genocide at the end of the book.

It's the story of a young boy who was dreadfully abused by the grown-ups who wanted to mold him into an exemplary citizen. Forced to suppress his own emotions in order to avoid being paralyzed by trauma, he directed his energy into duty rather than sex or love. In time, he came to believe that his primary duty was to wipe out a species of gifted but incomprehensible aliens who had devastated his kind in a previous war. He found the idea of exterminating an entire race distasteful, of course. But since he believed it was required to save the people he defined as human, he put the entire weight of his formidable energy behind the effort to wipe out the aliens.

Wrong. The aliens I'm talking about were the European Jews, blamed by many Germans for gearing up World War I for their own profit. The book is Robert G. L. Waite's The Psychopathic God: Adolf Hilter.

I don't know of any pair of novels that have been as consistently misinterpreted as Card's Ender's Game and Speaker for the Dead. Even a reader with a rudimentary knowledge of twentieth century history might be expected to guess that the character of Ender Wiggin, the near messianic superhero, is based on that of Adolf Hitler. Card himself is the "Speaker for the Dead" who seeks to understand and forgive the genocidal dictator's behavior by demonstrating that his intentions were good. Because Hitler/Ender committed genocide to preserve the existence and dignity of what he defined as human, he is not a monster but a true Superman who willingly shouldered the heavy responsibility thrust upon him.

Peachfront Speaks

I seem to recall reading about many comparisons made between The Lord of the Rings and Hitler/Nazis/WWII.....and then reading quotes by Tolkein in which he denied that was the case. Yet the comparisons continued.

My point is that sometimes, a story is just a story. It doesn't need to have any profound correlations or be an analogy for something else. It can just be a story!

I have no idea if Card meant to write Ender as a Hitler analogy. I read the book once, wasn't all that impressed, and that's the extent of my Orson Scott Card knowledge. I'll probably watch the movie, because it's a well-budgeted sci-fi movie, and the book is widely considered a classic of the genre.

Ender Wiggin as Adolph Hitler? That is a v. heavy load to try to carry on that book. It doesn't seem likely to me, but then I haven't read the thing in ages.

I'll have to look back @ it sometime.

The attempt to make that analogy is flawed from the outset by the imbecility of the very premise.

One can have issues with the merits of the writing, but these absurd flights of stupidity which attempt to claim that Wiggins is a substitute for Hitler have NO validity in the prose of the book itself, or in logic.

Peachfront Speaks

Did you actually read my post, Joey? Are you illiterate, or just STUPID? I will give you one trillion dollars if you can point to where I called it a "good book".

Peachfront Speaks

I seem to recall reading about many comparisons made between The Lord of the Rings and Hitler/Nazis/WWII.....and then reading quotes by Tolkein in which he denied that was the case. Yet the comparisons continued.

My point is that sometimes, a story is just a story. It doesn't need to have any profound correlations or be an analogy for something else. It can just be a story!

I have no idea if Card meant to write Ender as a Hitler analogy. I read the book once, wasn't all that impressed, and that's the extent of my Orson Scott Card knowledge. I'll probably watch the movie, because it's a well-budgeted sci-fi movie, and the book is widely considered a classic of the genre.

Card didn't "mean" to write anything...as I recall 9been a while), he was waiting for someone (I think his wife), he had a legal pad, and he just...started writing while he waited. That became the original Ender's Game short story.

Forum List

Back