Encouraging the Slacker Lifestyle...

And the number one reason why we need Obamacare is for doctors to get paid for end of life counseling. You guys are so hung up on hating the bill, that you don't realize we really need a few things that are in the bill. Please join the real world.
Oh, puuuuLEEEASE!

You don't need to be an MD to be any good at end of life counseling....Aside from that, who says that the counselors aren't getting paid right now?

Speaking of joining the real world, not to mention derailing the thread....

She was talking about Obamacare. ;)

And what counselors would this be?

And the number one reason why we need Obamacare is for doctors to get paid for end of life counseling. You guys are so hung up on hating the bill, that you don't realize we really need a few things that are in the bill. Please join the real world.
Oh, puuuuLEEEASE!

You don't need to be an MD to be any good at end of life counseling....Aside from that, who says that the counselors aren't getting paid right now?

This is something I deal with every day. ;)

The doctors have no clue what is going on because they don't get paid to know, their families are in denial, and really have no clue what the disease is doing to their parent or what it will do. Because the family has no clue, they then make decisions that are not the best for their parents...Like take away pay meds.
I deal with this every day, you don't think I know what I am talking about?

You guys make decisions about this with your emotions just like you do with covering children until they are 27.
You assume because one kid is letting their parents support them every kid will. Young people are not getting the jobs, because the good jobs are no longer there. And the fact you have a problem with parents providing health insurance for their child, something they will pay for themselves says a lot. I might also add it is none of your business if someone wants to support their child in their twenties.
Aren't you guys the party of staying out of other's lives?

Doctors need to be paid to provide end of life counceling, period.

The bill FORCES them to do it yearly for certain ages and certain conditions. They are REQUIRED by Obamacare to try and talk those patients into Hospice and if they do not do the required counseling they lose payments.

And this end of life counseling they provide isn't also what you are making it out to be.
When a person gets to be a certain age the doctor discusses advanced directive, like DNR status and living will. In my Grandmother's case it was setting up my father as Power of Attorney so if it gets to a certain point my dad can make decisions for her, and it is clear on who has this power. Which is very important when you have more than one child, and or a husband.
In other cases it could mean whether or not someone needs a guardian, if they will need more care at some point etc.

The fact that most of you have no clue what does into this, make me wonder if you are using your emotions to decide on children having their parent's health insurance until they are 27.

Oh, puuuuLEEEASE!

The doctors have no clue what is going on because they don't get paid to know, their families are in denial, and really have no clue what the disease is doing to their parent or what it will do. Because the family has no clue, they then make decisions that are not the best for their parents...Like take away pay meds.
So then you know that MDs aren't necessarily the best ones to be dealing with the situation....Given that, why is it that the taxpayer should be footing the bill for something that they're not any good at to begin with?

You guys make decisions about this with your emotions just like you do with covering children until they are 27.
You assume because one kid is letting their parents support them every kid will. Young people are not getting the jobs, because the good jobs are no longer there. And the fact you have a problem with parents providing health insurance for their child, something they will pay for themselves says a lot. I might also add it is none of your business if someone wants to support their child in their twenties.

The programs of the government encourage slackers....

Salon ran an article about how the ‘cool’ have no problem using the system, called “Hipsters on Food Stamps.”

I was amazed as how pervasive the attitude is....

you might be interested in it:

1. In the John Waters-esque sector of northwest Baltimore — equal parts kitschy, sketchy, artsy and weird — Gerry Mak and Sarah Magida sauntered through a small ethnic market stocked with Japanese eggplant, mint chutney and fresh turmeric. After gathering ingredients for that evening’s dinner, they walked to the cash register and awaited their moments of truth….what remained of the monthly allotment on their Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program debit cards, the official new term for what are still known colloquially as food stamps.

a. Magida, a 30-year-old art school graduate…applied for food stamps last summer, and since then she’s used her $150 in monthly benefits for things like fresh produce, raw honey and fresh-squeezed juices from markets near her house in the neighborhood of Hampden, and soy meat alternatives and gourmet ice cream from a Whole Foods a few miles away. “I’m eating better than I ever have before,”…

b. Mak, 31, grew up in Westchester, graduated from the University of Chicago and toiled in publishing in New York during his 20s before moving to Baltimore last year with a meager part-time blogging job and prospects for little else. About half of his friends in Baltimore have been getting food stamps since the economy toppled, so he decided to give it a try; to his delight, he qualified for $200 a month. “I’m sort of a foodie, and I’m not going to do the ‘living off ramen’ thing,” he said, fondly remembering a recent meal he’d prepared of roasted rabbit with butter, tarragon and sweet potatoes. “I used to think that you could only get processed food and government cheese on food stamps, but it’s great that you can get anything.”

2. … recent changes made to the program as part of last year’s stimulus package, which relaxed the restrictions on able-bodied adults without dependents to collect food stamps, have made some young singles around the country eligible for the first time.
“There are many 20-somethings from educated families who go through a period of unemployment and live very frugally, maybe even technically in poverty, who now qualify,” said Parke Wilde, a food economist at Tufts University who has written extensively about food stamp usage and policy.

3. The increase in food stamp use among this demographic is hard to measure, as they represent a cross section of characteristics not specifically tracked by the Agriculture Department, which administers the program.

4. And in cities that are magnets for 20- and 30-something creatives and young professionals, the kinds of food markets that specialize in delectables like artisanal bread, heirloom tomatoes and grass-fed beef have seen significant upticks in food stamp payments among their typical shoppers.

5. “The use has gone way up in the last six months,” said Eric Wilcox, a cashier who has worked at Rainbow Grocery in San Francisco for 10 years. “We’re seeing a lot more young people in their 20s purchasing organic food with food stamp cards. I wouldn’t say it’s limited to hipster people, but I’m certainly surprised to see them with cards.”

6. A New York Times story in late Novemberabout the program’s explosive growth generated a storm of comments online, with many readers lobbing familiar accusations of laziness and irresponsibility.

But there seems to be a special strain of ire reserved for those like the self-described “30-something, unemployed, ex-fashionista, EBT armed, post-hipster, downtown mom” from New York who, in January, drew nearly 500 comments on the Web site Urbanbaby.com, many seething with fury at her for trying to maintain the trappings of a materialistic, cosmopolitan life while using an Electronic Benefit Transfer card — food stamps — to feed her family. (Her blog is now password-protected.)

7. “You’re hosting dinner parties and buying cases of wine — on taxpayers’ money!” one person wrote. “Your attitude is so objectionable that you’re like a trainwreck; it’s hard to look away.” (One cannot, in fact, buy wine with food stamps, though dinner party ingredients are fair game.)

8. Josh Ankerberg, a 26-year-old who lives in Brooklyn, N.Y., started getting food stamps a year ago as an AmeriCorps volunteer, a group that has long had special dispensation to qualify for them, and he has continued using them while he job hunts. He uses his $200 in monthly benefits at Trader Joe’s, Whole Foods and a local farmer’s market to maintain his self-described healthy flexitarian diet, and notes that two of his roommates — a graduate student in poetry and an underemployed cook, both in their 20s — also started getting food stamps in the past two months, as have other friends and acquaintances.

9. At the same time, there seems to be little moral quandary about collecting a benefit traditionally thought of as intended for the downtrodden.

10. Controversy about how they use food stamps marks an interesting shift from the classic critique that the program subsidizes diets laden with soda pop and junk food. But from that perspective, food stamp-using foodies might be applauded for demonstrating that one can, indeed, eat healthy and make delicious home-cooked meals on a tight budget…. “It’s not a thing people feel ashamed of, at least not around here,” said Mak. “It feels like a necessity right now.”

11. And while they might be questioned for viewing premium ingredients as a necessity, it could also be argued that they’re eating the best and most conscious way they know how. They are often cooking at home. They are using fresh ingredients. This is, after all, a generation steeped in Michael Pollan books, bountiful farmer’s markets and a fetish for all things sustainable and handcrafted. Is it wrong to believe there should be a local, free-range chicken in every Le Creuset pot?
Hipsters on food stamps - U.S. Economy - Salon.com

What happens when we run out of OPM (other people's money)?

Heaven forbid......work???

Oh, puuuuLEEEASE!

So then you know that MDs aren't necessarily the best ones to be dealing with the situation....Given that, why is it that the taxpayer should be footing the bill for something that they're not any good at to begin with?

They should be dealing with the situation, they have no incentive to be the ones to do so now.
It shouldn't be someone like me explaining to a family member what is going with their parent etc. I don't have a medical degree.

Salon ran an article about how the ‘cool’ have no problem using the system, called “Hipsters on Food Stamps.”

1. In the John Waters-esque sector of northwest Baltimore — equal parts kitschy, sketchy, artsy and weird — Gerry Mak and Sarah Magida sauntered through a small ethnic market stocked with Japanese eggplant, mint chutney and fresh turmeric. After gathering ingredients for that evening’s dinner, they walked to the cash register and awaited their moments of truth….what remained of the monthly allotment on their Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program debit cards, the official new term for what are still known colloquially as food stamps.

a. Magida, a 30-year-old art school graduate…applied for food stamps last summer, and since then she’s used her $150 in monthly benefits for things like fresh produce, raw honey and fresh-squeezed juices from markets near her house in the neighborhood of Hampden, and soy meat alternatives and gourmet ice cream from a Whole Foods a few miles away. “I’m eating better than I ever have before,”…

b. Mak, 31, grew up in Westchester, graduated from the University of Chicago and toiled in publishing in New York during his 20s before moving to Baltimore last year with a meager part-time blogging job and prospects for little else. About half of his friends in Baltimore have been getting food stamps since the economy toppled, so he decided to give it a try; to his delight, he qualified for $200 a month. “I’m sort of a foodie, and I’m not going to do the ‘living off ramen’ thing,” he said, fondly remembering a recent meal he’d prepared of roasted rabbit with butter, tarragon and sweet potatoes. “I used to think that you could only get processed food and government cheese on food stamps, but it’s great that you can get anything.”

2. … recent changes made to the program as part of last year’s stimulus package, which relaxed the restrictions on able-bodied adults without dependents to collect food stamps, have made some young singles around the country eligible for the first time.
“There are many 20-somethings from educated families who go through a period of unemployment and live very frugally, maybe even technically in poverty, who now qualify,” said Parke Wilde, a food economist at Tufts University who has written extensively about food stamp usage and policy.

3. The increase in food stamp use among this demographic is hard to measure, as they represent a cross section of characteristics not specifically tracked by the Agriculture Department, which administers the program.

4. And in cities that are magnets for 20- and 30-something creatives and young professionals, the kinds of food markets that specialize in delectables like artisanal bread, heirloom tomatoes and grass-fed beef have seen significant upticks in food stamp payments among their typical shoppers.

5. “The use has gone way up in the last six months,” said Eric Wilcox, a cashier who has worked at Rainbow Grocery in San Francisco for 10 years. “We’re seeing a lot more young people in their 20s purchasing organic food with food stamp cards. I wouldn’t say it’s limited to hipster people, but I’m certainly surprised to see them with cards.”

6. A New York Times story in late Novemberabout the program’s explosive growth generated a storm of comments online, with many readers lobbing familiar accusations of laziness and irresponsibility.

But there seems to be a special strain of ire reserved for those like the self-described “30-something, unemployed, ex-fashionista, EBT armed, post-hipster, downtown mom” from New York who, in January, drew nearly 500 comments on the Web site Urbanbaby.com, many seething with fury at her for trying to maintain the trappings of a materialistic, cosmopolitan life while using an Electronic Benefit Transfer card — food stamps — to feed her family. (Her blog is now password-protected.)

7. “You’re hosting dinner parties and buying cases of wine — on taxpayers’ money!” one person wrote. “Your attitude is so objectionable that you’re like a trainwreck; it’s hard to look away.” (One cannot, in fact, buy wine with food stamps, though dinner party ingredients are fair game.)

8. Josh Ankerberg, a 26-year-old who lives in Brooklyn, N.Y., started getting food stamps a year ago as an AmeriCorps volunteer, a group that has long had special dispensation to qualify for them, and he has continued using them while he job hunts. He uses his $200 in monthly benefits at Trader Joe’s, Whole Foods and a local farmer’s market to maintain his self-described healthy flexitarian diet, and notes that two of his roommates — a graduate student in poetry and an underemployed cook, both in their 20s — also started getting food stamps in the past two months, as have other friends and acquaintances.

9. At the same time, there seems to be little moral quandary about collecting a benefit traditionally thought of as intended for the downtrodden.

10. Controversy about how they use food stamps marks an interesting shift from the classic critique that the program subsidizes diets laden with soda pop and junk food. But from that perspective, food stamp-using foodies might be applauded for demonstrating that one can, indeed, eat healthy and make delicious home-cooked meals on a tight budget…. “It’s not a thing people feel ashamed of, at least not around here,” said Mak. “It feels like a necessity right now.”

11. And while they might be questioned for viewing premium ingredients as a necessity, it could also be argued that they’re eating the best and most conscious way they know how. They are often cooking at home. They are using fresh ingredients. This is, after all, a generation steeped in Michael Pollan books, bountiful farmer’s markets and a fetish for all things sustainable and handcrafted. Is it wrong to believe there should be a local, free-range chicken in every Le Creuset pot?

Are they stating people are buying wine with food stamps? Because if they are they are lying.

They should be dealing with the situation, they have no incentive to be the ones to do so now.
It shouldn't be someone like me explaining to a family member what is going with their parent etc. I don't have a medical degree.
In what great book is it written that MDs should be dealing with the situation?

Are they stating people are buying wine with food stamps? Because if they are they are lying.

Why would they be lying?

Do you see any problem with folks living well on another person's money?

BTW....Salon is pretty far Left....

Last edited:
You know the one where the person is dying from dementia, and they explain to the family member what happens when they die from dementia, and when it is actually time to put their family member on hospice so they dont have to suffer anymore because the family can't accept that they are dying. There is a point when you try to cure someone, and there is a point when you make them comfortable.
You have no clue what you are talking about RGS. ;)
I deal with families who have no clue what is going on with their parent every day. I also provide end of life care for many people, like give them morphine that is provided by hospice.
This program is very much needed, and if you don't think so come do my job for a week. After you do my job for a week, you will wake up to the fact you had no clue on this subject.

The spokeswoman for Obama on this particular point was very clear what she meant and why the clause was being forced on Doctors, she went on to say billions could be saved if only enough people would simply consent to die without expensive end of life treatments.

"Last year, bureaucrats at the VA's National Center for Ethics in Health Care advocated a 52-page end-of-life planning document, "Your Life, Your Choices." It was first published in 1997 and later promoted as the VA's preferred living will throughout its vast network of hospitals and nursing homes. After the Bush White House took a look at how this document was treating complex health and moral issues, the VA suspended its use. Unfortunately, under President Obama, the VA has now resuscitated "Your Life, Your Choices."
Who is the primary author of this workbook? Dr. Robert Pearlman, chief of ethics evaluation for the center, a man who in 1996 advocated for physician-assisted suicide in Vacco v. Quill before the U.S. Supreme Court and is known for his support of health-care rationing.

"Your Life, Your Choices" presents end-of-life choices in a way aimed at steering users toward predetermined conclusions, much like a political "push poll." For example, a worksheet on page 21 lists various scenarios and asks users to then decide whether their own life would be "not worth living."

There also are guilt-inducing scenarios such as "I can no longer contribute to my family's well being," "I am a severe financial burden on my family" and that the vet's situation "causes severe emotional burden for my family."

When the government can steer vulnerable individuals to conclude for themselves that life is not worth living, who needs a death panel?
This hurry-up-and-die message is clear and unconscionable. Worse, a July 2009 VA directive instructs its primary care physicians to raise advance care planning with all VA patients and to refer them to "Your Life, Your Choices." Not just those of advanced age and debilitated condition—all patients. America's 24 million veterans deserve better.
Jim Towey: The Death Book for Veterans - WSJ.com

Hospice is used for dying people, so they can have privacy and the family during the passing of a loved one. The use of hospice by your version is very disrespectul and makes claims about the people using it as being unreliable and uncaring. You could not be more wrong.
I use the VA and find it to be more accomidating and thourough in their general care, preventive care and the needs of the patient. I have found it to be better than private medicine I have used before, which was slow, economically tightfisted and uncaring.

This would have been very helpful to me in my twenties, would have saved me about $5000 in medical bills. People in their twenties can't find the good jobs that were once available to their parents when they were in their twenties.
I would also remind you the parents are the ones who are paying the premiums and health care costs, not the tax payers.

Ya end of life counseling. You know where the doctor tries to talk that old person into dieing quietly at home or a hospice rather then use any medical care to prolong their life.

You know where the Doctor tells that person with a supposed terminal disease they should stop all aggressive expensive treatment and move to a hospice and die quietly sans all the expense to maybe save their life.

That sure is a needed conversation.
Is that what the doctors have been telling you? From my experience with a couple of elder relatives in the past year, the exact opposite is true. Doctors will do everything in their power and keep trying and avoid hospice if there is any hope.

A living will is the will of the pateint in the event of the patients inability to make choices when unable to. Those wishes are follwed at the VA.

The spokeswoman for Obama on this particular point was very clear what she meant and why the clause was being forced on Doctors, she went on to say billions could be saved if only enough people would simply consent to die without expensive end of life treatments.

"Last year, bureaucrats at the VA's National Center for Ethics in Health Care advocated a 52-page end-of-life planning document, "Your Life, Your Choices." It was first published in 1997 and later promoted as the VA's preferred living will throughout its vast network of hospitals and nursing homes. After the Bush White House took a look at how this document was treating complex health and moral issues, the VA suspended its use. Unfortunately, under President Obama, the VA has now resuscitated "Your Life, Your Choices."
Who is the primary author of this workbook? Dr. Robert Pearlman, chief of ethics evaluation for the center, a man who in 1996 advocated for physician-assisted suicide in Vacco v. Quill before the U.S. Supreme Court and is known for his support of health-care rationing.

"Your Life, Your Choices" presents end-of-life choices in a way aimed at steering users toward predetermined conclusions, much like a political "push poll." For example, a worksheet on page 21 lists various scenarios and asks users to then decide whether their own life would be "not worth living."

There also are guilt-inducing scenarios such as "I can no longer contribute to my family's well being," "I am a severe financial burden on my family" and that the vet's situation "causes severe emotional burden for my family."

When the government can steer vulnerable individuals to conclude for themselves that life is not worth living, who needs a death panel?
This hurry-up-and-die message is clear and unconscionable. Worse, a July 2009 VA directive instructs its primary care physicians to raise advance care planning with all VA patients and to refer them to "Your Life, Your Choices." Not just those of advanced age and debilitated condition—all patients. America's 24 million veterans deserve better.
Jim Towey: The Death Book for Veterans - WSJ.com

Hospice is used for dying people, so they can have privacy and the family during the passing of a loved one. The use of hospice by your version is very disrespectul and makes claims about the people using it as being unreliable and uncaring. You could not be more wrong.
I use the VA and find it to be more accomidating and thourough in their general care, preventive care and the needs of the patient. I have found it to be better than private medicine I have used before, which was slow, economically tightfisted and uncaring.

You seem not to understand the article....read it more carefully.

Forum List

Back