Encouraging the Slacker Lifestyle...

Discussion in 'Health and Lifestyle' started by PoliticalChic, May 22, 2012.

1. PoliticalChic

PoliticalChic Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +25,087
    1. ObamaCare….significant in so many ways….it included a symbolic cultural declaration: The law allows children to stay on their parents health insurance plan up to age 26. The bill codifies, in federal law, the dramatic shift in the age at which young people should be considered independent by legally extending the right to continue to remain under mom and dad’s wings for an additional half-decade.

a. As more and more young people take a leisurely journey to adulthood, the age of 18 and 21 increasingly lack relevance for the actual path to independence.

b. Liberalism infantilizes the citizenry: 26 has become the new 18.

2. “Previous generations crossed the frozen Bering Straits, rounded the Cape of Good Hope, discovered the New World, traveled the Oregon Trail, climbed Mount Everest.” The Greatest Generation included teenage boys who went off to liberate Europe, island-hp through the Pacific, and defeat the Japanese Empire…So far, though, the great pioneering move of Generation Me is to move back home to live in mom’s basement. Sykes, “50 Rules Kids Won’t Learn in School,” p. 79.

3. Today, so many are failing or refusing to leave home, that sociologists and demographers have come up with euphemisms, such as ‘emerging adults,’ thresholders, twixters, an kidults. None of them should be taken as compliments.

a. “Our findings, as well as the work of other scholars, confirm
    that it takes much longer to make the transition to adulthood
    today than decades ago, and arguably longer than it has at
    any time in America’s history” http://www.rci.rutgers.edu/~jdowd/furstenbergetal-growingup.pdf

b. “ In reality, however, by age 21, few young people today would actually be considered “adult” based on the traditional markers—leaving home, finishing school, starting a job, getting married, and having children.” http://www.transad.pop.upenn.edu/downloads/ch1-fff-formatted.pdf

4. The number of so-called “boomerangs,” adult children between the ages of 18and 24 who move back home is up by 50% since 1970. Census figures suggest hat 56% of men and 43% of women between the ages of d18 and 24 continue to live with a parent. Even more continue eto rely on the bank of Mom and Dad well past the age when grown-ups were once expected to pay their own way. Sykes, “ A Nation of Moochers,” p. 209.

5. “Youth receive substantial help from their parents. On average, for youth both living at home and living independently, parents provide roughly $38,000 in material assistance for food, housing, education, or direct cash assistance, throughout the transition to adulthood (ages 18–34). http://www.transad.pop.upenn.edu/projects/policybrief.pdf

a. “It helps to pay for housing, bills and travel expenses, and the support has been increasing for the past two decades as education is extended, marriage is delayed and young people take the scenic route from adolescence to adulthood.” http://www.nytimes.com/2006/04/20/fashion/thursdaystyles/20money.html?pagewanted=all

6. Of course, there are good aspects of this extension of one’s childhood….but, in the big picture, it suggests a declining premium on independence, and on the strength of character.

a. Politically, the delayed-adulthood shifts millions into a period of prolonged dependency, not just on mom and dad….but on government programs that enable a slacker lifestyle.

What does this bode for the future of this great nation?

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
    Last edited: May 22, 2012
  2. High_Gravity

High_Gravity Belligerent Drunk Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,726
    The only reason the kids never leave home is because their parents give them no reason to, free food, no bills, someone to clean up after you and do your laundry, why would anyone leave that? A friend of mine is 27 years old now and never left home, he has 3 kids with his girlfriend and they all live with his mom who is a nurse who basically takes care of everything, I find it hard to consider him an adult even though technically he is one.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. High_Gravity

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,726
    I think we are doing teenagers a big disservice too by taking care of all their shit for them, just enables them to never leave.

4. Oddball

Oddball BANNED Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Drinking wine, eating cheese, catching rays
    Ratings:
    +8,409
    As a self-sufficient slacker, I was almost put off by the thread title.

Now, if you'll pardon me, I must be of to the glider park. :D

5. Oddball

Oddball BANNED Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Drinking wine, eating cheese, catching rays
    Ratings:
    +8,409
    But seriously, folks...I'm left wondering how these people come up with the magical age of 26?

Are they just throwing darts here? :dunno:

6. High_Gravity

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,726
    Whatever happened to people wanting to move out after high school? Back in the 90's I used to see kids talking about that all the time and saving money to move out, now? not so much.

7. Luissa

Luissa Annoying Customer Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,664
    This would have been very helpful to me in my twenties, would have saved me about $5000 in medical bills. People in their twenties can't find the good jobs that were once available to their parents when they were in their twenties.
    I would also remind you the parents are the ones who are paying the premiums and health care costs, not the tax payers.

And the number one reason why we need Obamacare is for doctors to get paid for end of life counseling. You guys are so hung up on hating the bill, that you don't realize we really need a few things that are in the bill. Please join the real world.

8. Luissa

Luissa Annoying Customer Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,664
    They can't find the jobs....Probably has something to do with it. ;)

And why does it matter to anyone other than the children and the parents they live with? In some cultures it is quite normal for children to live with their parents until they are married or even after they are married sometimes.

9. RetiredGySgt

RetiredGySgt Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +9,017
    Ya end of life counseling. You know where the doctor tries to talk that old person into dieing quietly at home or a hospice rather then use any medical care to prolong their life.

You know where the Doctor tells that person with a supposed terminal disease they should stop all aggressive expensive treatment and move to a hospice and die quietly sans all the expense to maybe save their life.

That sure is a needed conversation.

10. High_Gravity

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,726
    That is true I know in the Italian culture its like that.