Empty chair at empty table...

Lipush

Gold Member
Apr 11, 2012
Where the wild things are
I could have opened another thread about fails peace talks and terrorism, third intifada and bloodshed. But I don't want to talk about that. Instead, I just want to talk about Alon.

I didn't know Alon Bakal that much, I barely noticed the wide-eyed and shy boy when he first entered our debate class in Netanya college, sheepish boy yet well aware of himself. One of my other classmates laughed at him as they both found their seats in the row next to me. "Alon," he said, "What are we even doing here?" he asked, and Alon, with such confidence, said- "This class is much better than the other nonsense they teach."

When he stood and gave his speech in front of the class, even the most detached, bored student took the time to listen. Alon had his way of making the audience love him. so aware, enthusiastic with people, but at the same time, shy and quiet in small conversations.

I remember him being the joker, most handsome boy in class, but he modest, in his own way. Incredibly friendly and respectful to others, total gentleman... He told us about this place he has in Tel Aviv, told us we should stop by sometime, have a beer, just have fun. I remember him each evening on the bench near the dorms, always surrounded by friends. So easy to talk with. So open and down to earth. Basketball was his life, the pub was his love.

Alon was taken from us, his friends, on one horrific noon, in the pub he saw as home. He was shot dead in one lousy second, and his empty chair in front of me in this huge class still awaits his return. 'Alon is gone', the WhatsApp text said, and it took me awhile to understand what I was reading. I first hoped it was a mistake, a cruel joke.

It wasn't.

Your mom is a wreck, Alon. She said she cannot deal with it, her baby boy being gone. From the little I heard of her, I have no doubt she will survive this, she has her family, and our people to support her. But you were her rock. And now you're just gone.

I lit a candle at our college, one for you, one for Shimi. Your smile is visible from the pictures about the table, many of your friends took a minute to look at how incredibly handsome and special you were, just from those photos. But I didn't need any of those. I got the privilege of seeing and meeting you in person. Remembering what an amazing man you were.

I could have made this thread all about anger and vengeance and spiteful words. But that's not the place for that. I chose to make this thread about Alon, Son of David Bakal. I miss you, my friend. I mourn for you. I hope you find your rest in heaven, I hope you're happy wherever you are.

Lipaz

12377699_10156315410785304_6326682001665270871_o.jpg

I could have opened another thread about fails peace talks and terrorism, third intifada and bloodshed. But I don't want to talk about that. Instead, I just want to talk about Alon.

I didn't know Alon Bakal that much, I barely noticed the wide-eyed and shy boy when he first entered our debate class in Netanya college, sheepish boy yet well aware of himself. One of my other classmates laughed at him as they both found their seats in the row next to me. "Alon," he said, "What are we even doing here?" he asked, and Alon, with such confidence, said- "This class is much better than the other nonsense they teach."

When he stood and gave his speech in front of the class, even the most detached, bored student took the time to listen. Alon had his way of making the audience love him. so aware, enthusiastic with people, but at the same time, shy and quiet in small conversations.

I remember him being the joker, most handsome boy in class, but he modest, in his own way. Incredibly friendly and respectful to others, total gentleman... He told us about this place he has in Tel Aviv, told us we should stop by sometime, have a beer, just have fun. I remember him each evening on the bench near the dorms, always surrounded by friends. So easy to talk with. So open and down to earth. Basketball was his life, the pub was his love.

Alon was taken from us, his friends, on one horrific noon, in the pub he saw as home. He was shot dead in one lousy second, and his empty chair in front of me in this huge class still awaits his return. 'Alon is gone', the WhatsApp text said, and it took me awhile to understand what I was reading. I first hoped it was a mistake, a cruel joke.

It wasn't.

Your mom is a wreck, Alon. She said she cannot deal with it, her baby boy being gone. From the little I heard of her, I have no doubt she will survive this, she has her family, and our people to support her. But you were her rock. And now you're just gone.

I lit a candle at our college, one for you, one for Shimi. Your smile is visible from the pictures about the table, many of your friends took a minute to look at how incredibly handsome and special you were, just from those photos. But I didn't need any of those. I got the privilege of seeing and meeting you in person. Remembering what an amazing man you were.

I could have made this thread all about anger and vengeance and spiteful words. But that's not the place for that. I chose to make this thread about Alon, Son of David Bakal. I miss you, my friend. I mourn for you. I hope you find your rest in heaven, I hope you're happy wherever you are.

Lipaz

How many empty chairs are in the West Bank and Gaza?

Israel's Foreign Affairs Min. you tube video, really. I don't believe anything Israel has to say.

Can you stop with your venom for one minute? is that even possible for you?

I'm not sprouting venom, Israel is. I for one is sick of their story and their lies and propaganda. Who cares about a few dead jews, when you don't give any thought one dead Palestinian, and what you Hebrews are doing to the Palestinians is the biggest crime of the last century, not WWI or WWII, but today , way too many lives have been lost due to Hebrews.

I opened up an honest thread about my friend, but apparently, it was to much to ask, when I said it should stay unhijacked. "Who cares about few dead Jews"... I care, the last victim was my friend. You once again prove that it's useless to try and reason with you, since you obviously don't even believe Jews are human beings. I could open this up and say exactly what I think if you in the language you deserve, but I'm not going to go down that awful level of yours. I nothing but pity you. Your posts have been also reported.

It wasn't.

Lipaz

There are many empty chairs due to conflicts around the world. When it's someone you personally knew, a friend, a classmate - it takes on a whole new meaning doesn't it? Have you ever lost some to an act of senseless violence, a good friend? Someone you thought it couldn't possibly happen to? That is what this thread is about. Not about Israel. Not about Palestine. But about a senseless death.

This thread could be moved to The Lounge where it would be strictly protected, but I'm going to leave it here as a challenge to decency and empathy. Are you IP regulars up to that challenge? Trolling and flaming posts have been moved to a new thread - this isn't the place for it. Lipush has lost a friend. Let's think about that and conduct ourselves accordingly in the thread...ok?

It wasn't.

Lipaz

There are many empty chairs due to conflicts around the world. When it's someone you personally knew, a friend, a classmate - it takes on a whole new meaning doesn't it? Have you ever lost some to an act of senseless violence, a good friend? Someone you thought it couldn't possibly happen to? That is what this thread is about. Not about Israel. Not about Palestine. But about a senseless death.

Right so why is it here, its a personal thread.

It wasn't.

Lipaz

Right so why is it here, its a personal thread.

Because it relates to IP.

It seems strange to me that you should publish such a post in what is, after all, a contentious political forum no stranger to bile and viscious controversy because you run the risk of politicising a personal tragedy, although I’m in no way accusing you of doing so.

I’m sorry for your loss, truly, I am, but your friend is not the only victim of the current situation over there. While grieving for him, you might spare a thought for Mahmoud Alavan, killed by an IDF soldier during a demonstration at Beit El last year.

12246607_1636637433256188_207668443320426734_n.jpg

He was just 19 when he died. He was born on 18th February 1996 in the East Jerusalem neighbourhood of Anata after more than a decade of fertility treatment and after Nadhmiyeh and her husband Said Alavan had nearly lost hope of ever having children. Mahmoud had initially hoped to study information technology but was persuaded by an uncle to pursue nursing. His future looked bright as he was due to graduate this year and start practicing the job that he learned to love most.

His mother, Nadhmiyeh has been quoted as saying, “My life already feels empty without him and I cannot even contemplate the idea of us not celebrating his 20th birthday together, I miss him asking me to cook lasagne, his favourite dish, and I will surely miss seeing him slice his birthday cake next year.” His aunt, Huda Abd al-Baqi, said of him, “He had all the qualities that would make him an admired nurse: he was always quick to help those in need; he was kind-hearted and treated everyone with respect and tenderness.”

He wasn’t some mindless religious fanatic, he was a secular supporter of Fatah, but like many of his generation he felt that the continuing Zionist occupation of Palestine should be confronted and resisted and was ready to do his patriotic duty, just like your friend Alon Bakal who served in the Givati brigade, did his.

It is all too easy to try to demonise the other side but there are thousands of empty chairs at empty tables in Palestinian homes too; at times like this it helps to remember that both Palestinians and Israelis are human beings with their own hopes and ambitions all too often cut short.

Alon Bakal and Mahmoud Alavan probably never met in life, but both Jewish and Islamic religions believe in an afterlife paradise, so if such a place exists, I’d like to think they’d have a drink and a laugh together in peace.

Forum List

Back