Elizabeth Warren: 'End Electoral College'

I always thought america was a democracy...but when Bush Jr got elected we the citizens of the world were shocked.

Because you're ignorant.

Ignorant? I was shocked by one of the strangest and politically motivated SCOTUS rulings since Dred Scott. Bush v Gore

I know! Ruling that Florida should recount according to Florida law.
Strange.

America is a Republic, not a democracy.
You really refuse to be told, don't you?

democracy
1 a form of government in which the people govern themselves or elect representatives to govern them.
2 a country, state or other body with such a form of government.
/----/
In Philadelphia on September 18, 1787, a woman asked Benjamin Franklin, “Well Doctor, what have we got, a republic or a monarchy?”.
Mr. Franklin replied, “A republic, madam – if you can keep it.
...and to the Republic for which it stands...
Democracy vs Republic - Difference and Comparison | Diffen
Is the United States a Democracy or Republic? The U.S. is a republic. Though it is now common for people, including American politicians, to refer to the U.S. as a "democracy," this is shorthand for the representational republic that exists, not for a pure democracy.

I know! Ruling that Florida should recount according to Florida law.
Strange.

Oddly that is the OPPOSITE of what they ruled. Florida law requires a full recount if the vote is within a certain percent. It was WELL under that and the SC ruled to STOP he recount.

Oh...

Last edited:
America is a Republic, not a democracy.
You really refuse to be told, don't you?

democracy
1 a form of government in which the people govern themselves or elect representatives to govern them.
2 a country, state or other body with such a form of government.
/----/
In Philadelphia on September 18, 1787, a woman asked Benjamin Franklin, “Well Doctor, what have we got, a republic or a monarchy?”.
Mr. Franklin replied, “A republic, madam – if you can keep it.
...and to the Republic for which it stands...
Is the United States a Democracy or Republic? The U.S. is a republic. Though it is now common for people, including American politicians, to refer to the U.S. as a "democracy," this is shorthand for the representational republic that exists, not for a pure democracy.
In researching that quote I found this.

A good readPerspectives on the Constitution: A Republic, If You Can Keep It - National Constitution Center

The Twelfth Amendment says that's a NO.

Now, Go back to civics class and try to stay awake this time.
All it takes is an amendment.

Yep, 2/3rd majority by the House and the Senate and then 75% of the states must ratify it, or a constitution convention called for by 2/3rd of the state legislators.

Not very easy as this is a party line issue and I can't see the Senate passing this nor do I see 38 ratifying the amendment.

Reagan conceded to the Democrats' "AMNESTY" in return for securing the border to illegal aliens. What happened? The Democrats lied and reneged on their deal, so no secure border and illegal aliens continued to invade. So yet again Democrats LIED to get what the wanted, then didn't come through with their part of the agreement. Liars, and anti American scum.

Yet again, Democrats Amnesty = OPEN BORDERS.

Why should a states electors go against the majority of a state?
Because people should be the electors, not sage brush and cattle. Our most populous state has 70 X more people than our least populated state but their EC ratio is 18:1. Why should people be penalized for living in a more desirable state? The Founders are way over rated. In what other contest is the #2 finisher declared the winner?

Change it then cupcake, all you need is two thirds approval of the House, two thirds approval of the Senate and 38 states to ratify the amendment. Go for it, I look forward to watching it's progress.

Because people should be the electors, not sage brush and cattle. Our most populous state has 70 X more people than our least populated state but their EC ratio is 18:1. Why should people be penalized for living in a more desirable state? The Founders are way over rated. In what other contest is the #2 finisher declared the winner?

Change it then cupcake, all you need is two thirds approval of the House, two thirds approval of the Senate and 38 states to ratify the amendment. Go for it, I look forward to watching it's progress.
The Electoral College Pact is another way to change the EC and much more doable.
Changing the Electoral College System

Sen. Elizabeth Warren said Monday that she fully supports abolishing the Electoral College and moving toward a national vote, the first time the 2020 presidential candidate has publicly taken the stance.

“My view is that every vote matters,” the Massachusetts Democrat said to roaring applause at her CNN presidential town hall at Jackson State University in Mississippi. “And the way we can make that happen is that we can have national voting, and that means get rid of the Electoral College.”

More: Elizabeth Warren Calls For Getting Rid Of The Electoral College

Amen! I couldn't agree more! Elections should be about people - not acreage! BTW, the rest of the link is worth reading.
I vote the each state has to produce their own food for their state.

Man, Alaska's food is going to suck! Seafood all the time!

The problem with the electoral college is that Republicans found a way to manipulate it. I get the complaints about it but were we to fix that they'd simply find another way to fix elections (because there are simply not enough Republicans to win except in regionals areas and even there ,usually by use of gerrymandering).

But the wing nuts are correct. It would take an Amendment.

The problem with the electoral college is that Republicans found a way to manipulate it.

how are republicans manipulating it?
Microtargeting....that's how they managed to win all the electoral votes in three heavily populated states by a mere 80,000 votes total

Obama used microtargeting in 2012, How Obama’s Team Used Big Data to Rally Voters

Analytics: key to Obama’s victory

Hillary ran a poor campaign and blew off that she would lose Michigan, even after being told by her staff. Wisconsin was where her campaign staff wanted to send those working in Iowa after the figured they couldn't Iowa, however Hillary insisted they stay in Iowa and Pennsylvania, . Obama and his campaign executed a brilliant marketing campaign through Facebook and an app.

The Electoral College Pact is another way to change the EC and much more doable.
Changing the Electoral College System

Look at the 10 states that have signed on to the plan presented on your link, all are blue states, no red state has signed on, until they do, this has a long way to go however it is easier than ratifying an amendment.

Sen. Elizabeth Warren said Monday that she fully supports abolishing the Electoral College and moving toward a national vote, the first time the 2020 presidential candidate has publicly taken the stance.

“My view is that every vote matters,” the Massachusetts Democrat said to roaring applause at her CNN presidential town hall at Jackson State University in Mississippi. “And the way we can make that happen is that we can have national voting, and that means get rid of the Electoral College.”

Amen! I couldn't agree more! Elections should be about people - not acreage! BTW, the rest of the link is worth reading.

Everyone has the right to try to amend the Constitution

Warren should know the procedure maybe she should stop flapping her gums and get to it

Of course she favors denying people that live in red states a voice.

Reagan conceded to the Democrats' "AMNESTY" in return for securing the border to illegal aliens. What happened? The Democrats lied and reneged on their deal, so no secure border and illegal aliens continued to invade. So yet again Democrats LIED to get what the wanted, then didn't come through with their part of the agreement. Liars, and anti American scum.

Yet again, Democrats Amnesty = OPEN BORDERS.

Yup and he's not the first POTUS to make a deal with the Dems and have them not keep their word.

If Bush the elder were still alive he could tell you himself.

So you believe we should accept the opinion of Elizabeth Warren, the woman who lied about her ancestry for decades?

You are such a dick and always do this. "So you say" "So you think" "So what you mean" "So you believe"

At least read the OP link before you attack.
Everything leftwingers say has to be translated into English.
I wouldn't know. Ask them.

"Everything bripat says has to be translated into Common Fucking Sense. "

Should be a USMB requirement before posting on the boards. You know, like getting a license to prescribe meds for mental patients.
Yes let's have Mexifornia elect Democratic Presidents for the next 50 years. That is the Liberal wet dream of abolishing the E.C.
Why are you against the rule of the majority ?
We used that method in the Senate, Congress supreme court the X factor you name it.
And btw California is the biggest economy and best state of the union, Alabama, Mississippi, north Dakota, etc....are is less states.
Oh yeah, California is great. That must be why working people and businesses are leaving, huh.

I agree. I always thought america was a democracy...but when Bush Jr got elected we the citizens of the world were shocked. And that's when we found about the electoral college. It really gives the power to the crazy minority and that's why we have trump and his crazies....the US should join the democratic countries and abolish the EC.

Can't imagine why you think what you "always thought" - ignorantly and erroneously - should matter to anyone. It's not our fault you were badly educated.

If you "found out" about the Electoral College for the first time in 2000, you need to stop bothering smarter people with how the world needs to be changed to fit your puerile beliefs and do something more productive, like going back and slapping whatever teachers sent you out into the world with no clue what type of government we have and how it works.

When your poll numbers are down in single digit territory, guess ya gotta say something.

and hell would freeze over first.

Forum List

Back