Educators of Young Minds, Tolerance Edition

You confuse Morality with religion. They are not, and never have been, the same thing. Religion distorts and corrupts Morality. That’s how we’ve come to believe Morality is flexible.

You changed your mind. Unfortunately for you, The Divine Power gets the ultimate say on the value of your Soul and your definition of Morality will not be taken into consideration.

What if there is no "Divine Power"?

The Aztecs used to cut out people's hearts believing that was "Moral", and that the "Divine Power" demanded it.

Here's a crazy idea... how about a morality based not on what some imaginary divine power wants, but on common sense, treating other people decently?

What if there is no "Divine Power"?...

...Here's a crazy idea... how about a morality based not on what some imaginary divine power wants, but on common sense, treating other people decently?

If there is no Divine Power then nothing matters and our entire existence is pointless.

You’d like that “Common Sense” morality even less than a Divinely inspired one. The “Common Sense” one is an extremely brutal Me first - Me only ideal that is the epitome of Survival of the Fittedt and the Natural Order.

If there is no Divine Power then nothing matters and our entire existence is pointless.

There should be more to life than worshiping a malevolent Bronze Age Sky Fairy.

You’d like that “Common Sense” morality even less than a Divinely inspired one. The “Common Sense” one is an extremely brutal Me first - Me only ideal that is the epitome of Survival of the Fittedt and the Natural Order.

Not really. Frankly, what makes humans successful is our collectivism.

There should be more to life than worshiping a malevolent Bronze Age Sky Fairy.

Not really. Frankly, what makes humans successful is our collectivism.

where did I discuss worshiping a Sky Fairy? I have no use for religion at all. That doesn’t mean I don’t believe that the Divine Power that creates us didn’t leave us a very specific view of Right and Wrong.

Collectivism is not something I have found much use for over the last 45 years.

where did I discuss worshiping a Sky Fairy? I have no use for religion at all. That doesn’t mean I don’t believe that the Divine Power that creates us didn’t leave us a very specific view of Right and Wrong.

Collectivism is not something I have found much use for over the last 45 years.

I'm sure you haven't, but the fact that other people didn't let you starve in an alleyway indicates you should.

The concept of a "God" is the ultimate human conceit.

Where? Tell you what, walk into one of their stores with a video camera and post the results on social media. Be sure to point out where it "wears it's homophobia and intolerance on their sleeves". I mean, if that's the case, it should be easy to spot right away, correct?

Aaaawwww, are you sad for attention again?

So you're not even going to try?

I'm sure you haven't, but the fact that other people didn't let you starve in an alleyway indicates you should.

The concept of a "God" is the ultimate human conceit.

It indicates no such thing. Especially since I don’t believe we should be feeding the homeless, for the same reason you don’t feed alley cats or raccoons... they come back in greater numbers when you do.

The lack of a divine power makes this life worthless.

It indicates no such thing. Especially since I don’t believe we should be feeding the homeless, for the same reason you don’t feed alley cats or raccoons... they come back in greater numbers when you do.

That's kind of retarded.

People who've believed in a "higher power" have still gone on to commit acts of genocide, often over truly petty issues like whether or not their magic sky man is made of bread or not.

That's kind of retarded.

People who've believed in a "higher power" have still gone on to commit acts of genocide, often over truly petty issues like whether or not their magic sky man is made of bread or not.

Also these conservatives want people to hate certain people. They want people to commit the very acts that they say they want to prevent. Like wtf? The double speak is sad.

We all know that the conservatives would replace "mass" shootings" with death of gays, trans and anyone that isn't a white male.

That's kind of retarded.

Also these conservatives want people to hate certain people. They want people to commit the very acts that they say they want to prevent. Like wtf? The double speak is sad.

We all know that the conservatives would replace "mass" shootings" with death of gays, trans and anyone that isn't a white male.

Only stupid people would believe that.

. People who've believed in a "higher power" have still gone on to commit acts of genocide, often over truly petty issues like whether or not their magic sky man is made of bread or not.

Again, I’ve got zero use for Religion, which is what causes most of those issues.

I just don’t see how life has any purpose or value if there isn’t a higher power and something beyond this world. If that’s the case then Chaos is the rule of the day and we’ll, fuck it all, why not do whatever we want to whomever we want.

Again, I’ve got zero use for Religion, which is what causes most of those issues.

I just don’t see how life has any purpose or value if there isn’t a higher power and something beyond this world. If that’s the case then Chaos is the rule of the day and we’ll, fuck it all, why not do whatever we want to whomever we want.

Um, because we have laws.

Look, man, if a belief in a Sky Fairy is the only thing that keeps you from going on a homicidal rampage, please keep believing that.

Funny thing, I haven't believed in a Pixie in the Clouds since 1983... and I haven't murdered anyone... because its, you know. Wrong. And against the Law.

Look, man, if a belief in a Sky Fairy is the only thing that keeps you from going on a homicidal rampage, please keep believing that.

Funny thing, I haven't believed in a Pixie in the Clouds since 1983... and I haven't murdered anyone... because its, you know. Wrong. And against the Law.

Laws based on what? Without a Divine Power to set Universal Morality, those laws have no more backing than a parent saying “Because I’m the Mom/Dad, that’s why!”

You can’t make the Moral judgement that Murder is wrong when you’ve thrown Morality out the window.

Laws based on what? Without a Divine Power to set Universal Morality, those laws have no more backing than a parent saying “Because I’m the Mom/Dad, that’s why!”

You can’t make the Moral judgement that Murder is wrong when you’ve thrown Morality out the window.

Sure we can... if Morality is based on how we treat each other and not fear of a sky pixie, it works much better.

Thats really stupid to say

Sure we can... if Morality is based on how we treat each other and not fear of a sky pixie, it works much better.

then it’s not Morality, since there is no Divine Power to enforce it.

Here's the problem with that.

This is Jupiter. Or Zeus.

images

The Romans sincerely believed he was the "Divine Power" that ruled their vast Empire, that all "Morality" flowed from him. And millions of people believed in Jupiter while only a few thousand believed in Yahweh or Jesus at one point.

Except we know he didn't exist. Or Odin. Or Quezacoatl.

In fact, even today, only half the world's population believes in the God of Abraham... the other half doesn't.

Forum List

Back