Ontario school boards sue Snapchat, TikTok and Meta for $4.5 billion, alleging they're deliberately hurting students

shockedcanadian

Diamond Member
Aug 6, 2012
Wow, this is interesting. Are Ontario school boards Tucker Carlson supporters? I don't know about now but years ago when I watched him from time to time on Fox he was definitely addressing his disdain for these social media sites and the harm they were doing to kids.

We will see where this leads. They should be interesting cases and we as a society are going to have to take a hard look in the mirror. We can't continue to raise societies of mushed brained citizens and leave them thrown to the wolves. It used to be the covert police in our communities destroying our young, now it is probably moreso social media and its outreach.

Four Ontario school boards have launched $4.5-billion in lawsuits against social media giants Snapchat, TikTok and Meta — which owns Facebook and Instagram — accusing them of deliberately hurting students, interfering with their learning and harming their mental health, leaving educators to “manage the fallout.”

Wow, this is interesting. Are Ontario school boards Tucker Carlson supporters? I don't know about now but years ago when I watched him from time to time on Fox he was definitely addressing his disdain for these social media sites and the harm they were doing to kids.

We will see where this leads. They should be interesting cases and we as a society are going to have to take a hard look in the mirror. We can't continue to raise societies of mushed brained citizens and leave them thrown to the wolves. It used to be the covert police in our communities destroying our young, now it is probably moreso social media and its outreach.

Four Ontario school boards have launched $4.5-billion in lawsuits against social media giants Snapchat, TikTok and Meta — which owns Facebook and Instagram — accusing them of deliberately hurting students, interfering with their learning and harming their mental health, leaving educators to “manage the fallout.”

I'm not sure they're doing it "deliberately", more than likely they're doing it because they just don't give a damn about them, only caring about money.

Clearly, this is a case of public entities blaming others for their own failures. The lawsuits will go nowhere.

The problem is a failure of parenting. It is understandable - parents usually lack the time and interest to find out exactly what is out there for their kids to abuse - but misdirected.

I'm not sure they're doing it "deliberately", more than likely they're doing it because they just don't give a damn about them, only caring about money.
Perhaps. There is some logic towards balance in society. Kids cant drink, smoke, buy certain age restricted video games or even get into certain movies, but they can go on social media and be exposed to everything, including targetted marketing of their habits by these.companies (foreign governments?). We probably do need some government regulation in some form, at least as it is related to the vulnerable, no? It's a difficuilt call.

Perhaps. There is some logic towards balance in society. Kids cant drink, smoke, buy certain age restricted video games or even get into certain movies, but they can go on social media and be exposed to everything, including targetted marketing of their habits by these.companies (foreign governments?). We probably do need some government regulation in some form, at least as it is related to the vulnerable, no? It's a difficuilt call.

Yeah, I think free societies need to have a rethink about how they can remain free. And it might mean a lot of control of certain things.

How old do you have to be to have such accounts?

How old do you have to be to have such accounts?
I don't know. The only requirement is that you can type I guess, I am ignorant to this though.

Also, I'm sure people can just lie and find a away around it if they wanted but that's besides the point

I don't know. The only requirement is that you can type I guess, I am ignorant to this though.

Also, I'm sure people can just lie and find a away around it if they wanted but that's besides the point
I'm not on those social media things, I only ever had Facebook but I closed that yonks ago. If memory serves, about 12 to 14 years or so ago, my lads were under 13 but they were on Facebook, they just put in any ole date of birth.

So Facebook could be 13, I've no clue about the others.

Imo, if you want to set up a social media account, you have to put your credit card details in and be charged 1p. No card, no account. You have to be over 18 to get a credit card in the UK. They do a variant of a credit card for under 18's, but just make social media system to denial those types.

Forum List

Back