Economic News is good to better

One needs to understand overall economics are always long game legislations , not short term gains . Fed/Wall street up/down tics do not constitute the metric for the last generation of middle class here

~S~

I was (pleasantly) surprised to see Powell stick to his forecast of rate decreases. The Fed must be seeing signs that inflation is less likely to kick back in. The market sure went nutty after he said that.

He may get his soft landing, or even NO landing, but all we can do is keep our fingers crossed. Obviously the rubes are hoping for the opposite and will continue to deny any positive news, but that's to be expected. Predictable. Tedious.
Inflation just went up again, Mac...so why would Powell be calling for three rate decreases this summer? A rate decrease is going to spur inflation.
I think the "rubes" here are the people who actually think Powell is going to give Biden the 3 rate decreases he's begging for! "Saying" that you're going to provide rate decreases this summer doesn't mean that it will be prudent to "Do" rate decreases! Powell can say that's what he plans but if inflation doesn't come down...how can he?

Inflation just went up again, Mac...so why would Powell be calling for three rate decreases this summer? A rate decrease is going to spur inflation.
I think the "rubes" here are the people who actually think Powell is going to give Biden the 3 rate decreases he's begging for! "Saying" that you're going to provide rate decreases this summer doesn't mean that it will be prudent to "Do" rate decreases! Powell can say that's what he plans but if inflation doesn't come down...how can he?
As I said, I was surprised to see him say it. He has access to far more data and you or I, so we'll see. I don't know.

As I said, I was surprised to see him say it. He has access to far more data and you or I, so we'll see. I don't know.
Think of it this way, Mac. He promises 3 rate cuts this summer...the markets surge on the news...and he hasn't done a thing. A promise means nothing if it's not guaranteed and I think we both know that it doesn't look like inflation is going to hit their targeted numbers and if inflation hasn't gone down then Powell would be an idiot to cut rates.

He has access to far more data and you or I
Elites are usually displaced from, and have little experience as one living middle class Mac

Much like his predecessors , Powell's not much more than their echo chamber ....

~S~

Think of it this way, Mac. He promises 3 rate cuts this summer...the markets surge on the news...and he hasn't done a thing. A promise means nothing if it's not guaranteed and I think we both know that it doesn't look like inflation is going to hit their targeted numbers and if inflation hasn't gone down then Powell would be an idiot to cut rates.
He's not promising, he's forecasting. That's a big difference. He also has other things to consider, such as the fact that regional banks are under more and more pressure from commercial real estate problems and need to see their bond holdings improve.

I know this how works. 23+ years in economic/market analysis. That's why I'm willing to say "I don't know".

He's not promising, he's forecasting. That's a big difference. He also has other things to consider, such as the fact that regional banks are under more and more pressure from commercial real estate problems and need to see their bond holdings improve.

I know this how works. 23+ years in economic/market analysis. That's why I'm willing to say "I don't know".
Then you know what happens when the Fed Chairman "forecasts" 3 rate decreases...don't you, Mac! It's a cheap way to goose the economy when Powell is walking a tightrope with inflation still too high and the economy stalling a bit.

Yeah...all those Econ classes I took in college left me "clueless", John! :)

I don't think I've run across one liberal here that could tell the difference between Macro Economics and Micro Economics! I don't know what it was that you DID take for classes but it sure as heck wasn't Economics!
Yep, you are clueless, if you think the economy is poor and Americans are not doing better.

Tell the folks pulling up to a gas station how great things are. Gas went up in the Houston area 17 cents in just the last week. People aren't seeing xiden's great economy.

You think wrongly if you think Biden can control the annual spring surge plus Saudi Arabia cutting outflow when it wants.

The rubes are those hoping against hope that Biden won't do the cuts. He assuredly will.

Look, just because a Democrat happens to be President is no reason to deny that the economy is doing well.

It just so happens that Biden has done a number of things that have helped the economy, such as leaving most of the Trump tax cuts intact, supporting and signing the infrastructure bill, leaving the corporate income tax at the flat rate of 21%, pushing the development of microchip manufacturing in the U.S., leaving the USMCA trade agreement intact, etc.

None of this changes the fact that Biden has done some terrible things in other areas: his shameful, incompetent, and disastrous withdrawal from Afghanistan; his disastrous refusal to secure our southern border; his aggressive pushing of the transgender agenda; his placing of some genuine extremists in the federal judiciary; etc.

But let's be candid and objective enough to acknowledge the good things that Biden has done, as well as the bad.

Cool story.

Avg gas price for Reagan's 8 years: $1.38.

Now, tell us a story about gas lines under Dimwinger Jimmah Carter.:auiqs.jpg:
Back then when I was going to college and my wife was an entry level teacher not making much the high cost of gas was a big hit to our budget. Long gas lines were a major problem.

Now as a retiree Potatohead's inflation has been a crappy hit on our budget. We estimate that Potatohead stealing the election from the American people cost us at least a thousand dollars a month of post tax income. Probably more. Since the inflation is still high it is not stopping and the hit continues.

We are fortunate to have the resources to make up for the inflation. However, I really feel sorry for working families and retirees that don't have the resources to cover the inflation that are screwed.

One of my younger friends with a family, who is an Engineer with a good salary and his wife works says that they can't hardly afford take out Friday night pizza anymore. Just think how this inflation affects other families that don't have a good income.

Anybody that voted for Potatohead is an idiot.

The price of gas at the pump has really gone up in the last week or so.

Just like Potatohead promised the idiots that voted for him.

Good first time jobless claims report today: 210k actual to 213 estimated
Interesting to see how hot we're still running with interest rates where they are.

Y'know, you could get a 5% money market fund right before the Meltdown in 2008. In some ways, it almost feels like we're getting back to, uh, "normal". We were just so accustomed to artificially low interest rates for so long that we couldn't imagine surviving an increase.

Fingers crossed. At least for those of us who are hoping for the best.

The MAGAterds have been lying constantly since the economy began improving in early 2022.

The Fed Reserve report today was good. The 3.9% unemployment rate is projected to end 2024 at 4%, a bit lower than the December forecast. There will be three interest cuts beginning in June, then July, then September.

UE at 3.9% remains good info although average yearly wage gains have declined to 4.3% from 5.9% since March 2022. The Fed wants pay increases to come down to 3.5% to align with its 2% inflation target.

That will fry the terd biscuits. MSN

You guys have spent a couple of years now proclaiming inflation is coming down but now it is going back up, and it never came back down to where it was before Biden.

Forum List

Back