Ear mites in a feral cat

TheGreenHornet

Platinum Member
Nov 21, 2017
There is a black feral cat that has been showing up at my back door to gete fed for quite sometime....I have noticed he appears to have ear mites...drainage from his left ear and black spots in the ear.

I did manage yesterday to get a little hydrogen peroxide on the area around his ear and clean up the drainage...but perhaps a couple of drops might have gotten into his ear.

Anyhow he pitched a fit....but seems to have gotten over that as he came back today....any ideas on how I can get rid of his ear mites?

There is a black feral cat that has been showing up at my back door to gete fed for quite sometime....I have noticed he appears to have ear mites...drainage from his left ear and black spots in the ear.

I did manage yesterday to get a little hydrogen peroxide on the area around his ear and clean up the drainage...but perhaps a couple of drops might have gotten into his ear.

Anyhow he pitched a fit....but seems to have gotten over that as he came back today....any ideas on how I can get rid of his ear mites?
best ear mite treatment for cats - Google Search

The medication isn't cheap, between $50 and $60, and I'm not sure how easy it will be to get drops in a feral cat's ears after you've stung him once with hydrogen peroxide (that is a good choice, though, for cleaning up wounds on a cat).
Just removing the mites and blood that are already there won't do it--you have to kill the mite eggs, which requires the medication. I saw one med in pill form, if you can conceal it well enough in some really tasty cat food, but I've not found that to work -- the cats just eat around the pill.

If it's more of a job than you are willing to commit to, try getting in touch with an organization near you that sterilizes feral cats. They might have some ideas.

$10.00 for two pills from the vet. Crush one pill up fine and mix it with the cat food. He or she will eat it. Repeat the process 1 week later. The ear drops work quite well also. But be prepared to get the shit scratched out of you. The drops are around $30.00 for about 10 applications.

The medication isn't cheap, between $50 and $60, and I'm not sure how easy it will be to get drops in a feral cat's ears after you've stung him once with hydrogen peroxide (that is a good choice, though, for cleaning up wounds on a cat).
Just removing the mites and blood that are already there won't do it--you have to kill the mite eggs, which requires the medication. I saw one med in pill form, if you can conceal it well enough in some really tasty cat food, but I've not found that to work -- the cats just eat around the pill.

If it's more of a job than you are willing to commit to, try getting in touch with an organization near you that sterilizes feral cats. They might have some ideas.
Crushing the pill and mixing it in their food works.

[

Crushing the pill and mixing it in their food works.
My vets always said not to do that, and I don't know why. So I've always done it the hard way.

The cat recognized you were helping, even if you caused temporary pain.

Call your local humane society. They will help.

th
Come to Michigan.

New Michigan laws take aim at animal abusers

Hartz UltraGuard Ear Mite Cat Treatment, 3 count
By Hartz

• 145986_MAIN._AC_SY200_V1528828954_.jpg

• 145986_PT1._AC_SY200_V1528381722_.jpg

• Price:$4.00 from Chewy.com
Really cheap and worth a try especially on a semi feral outside cat!

Hartz UltraGuard Ear Mite Cat Treatment, 3 count
By Hartz

• 145986_MAIN._AC_SY200_V1528828954_.jpg

• 145986_PT1._AC_SY200_V1528381722_.jpg

• Price:$4.00 from Chewy.com
Really cheap and worth a try especially on a semi feral outside cat!
Please do not ever use Heartz products. Ever. At all. Why this company is still in business is a mystery. They kill animals.

I tried to tell my son not to use a Heartz flea treatment. He said it was all he could afford at the time. Both cats died.

Forum List

Back