Eagle Scout honor student expelled from school after forgetting gun locked in truck

It has been pointed out a number of times in this thread that you are completely incorrect.

"Expulsion" does NOT mean that you can "never" go back to school.

It might mean that he can never go back to that school, it might mean that he can go back to that school in 1 year.

He has not lost his right to a public education by being expelled. He might have to go to a designated school for problem students, or just to the school one town over. Either way, he'll get his diploma.

I posted the definition of "expulsion". Feel free to read it at your leisure.

You posted a wikipedia definition of "expulsion" - one that clearly states that laws differ from state to state.

I, on the other hand, posted the specific section of the NJ State code.

You posted A a specific section of the NJ State Code that is irrelevant to this situation.

I posted the definition of "expulsion". Feel free to read it at your leisure.

You posted a wikipedia definition of "expulsion" - one that clearly states that laws differ from state to state.

I, on the other hand, posted the specific section of the NJ State code.

You posted A a specific section of the NJ State Code that is irrelevant to this situation.

NO New Jersey law is relevant to a North Carolina case.

PRINCETON, N.C. (WTVD) -- The Johnston County Eagle Scout who was expelled from Princeton High School for accidentally bringing a shotgun on campus was offered an opportunity to attend an alternative school so he can graduate Thursday.

David "Cole" Withrow - an honors student - was arrested Monday and charged with a felony for having the gun in his locked truck in the school parking lot. Sources told ABC11 he forgot it was still in the truck after going skeet shooting over the weekend.

Once he remembered the weapon, he used the phone in the school office to call his mom. Administrators overheard him, and he was arrested and expelled.

In a news release sent to ABC11 Thursday, an attorney for the district denied Withrow was actually expelled or suspended for 365 days as previously reported and as officials told ABC11 Wednesday.

Johnston County Board of Education Attorney Jimmy Lawrence also said that at the discretion of the Superintendent, provisions have been made to allow Withrow to "continue receiving educational benefits and will be allowed to graduate if he completes the requirements for graduation under Johnston County Board Policy and State law."

PRINCETON, N.C. (WTVD) -- The Johnston County Eagle Scout who was expelled from Princeton High School for accidentally bringing a shotgun on campus was offered an opportunity to attend an alternative school so he can graduate Thursday.

David "Cole" Withrow - an honors student - was arrested Monday and charged with a felony for having the gun in his locked truck in the school parking lot. Sources told ABC11 he forgot it was still in the truck after going skeet shooting over the weekend.

Once he remembered the weapon, he used the phone in the school office to call his mom. Administrators overheard him, and he was arrested and expelled.

In a news release sent to ABC11 Thursday, an attorney for the district denied Withrow was actually expelled or suspended for 365 days as previously reported and as officials told ABC11 Wednesday.

Johnston County Board of Education Attorney Jimmy Lawrence also said that at the discretion of the Superintendent, provisions have been made to allow Withrow to "continue receiving educational benefits and will be allowed to graduate if he completes the requirements for graduation under Johnston County Board Policy and State law."

Either the first story was wrong, or the school is now scrambling to cover their butts.

So lets say the kid is a threat. Now he can just go to another school to carry out his plan of mass murder?:cuckoo:

I have no idea what point you're attempting to make here.

It's pretty simple. They expelled the kid for bringing a gun to school.
Why? Because they obviously think he is a threat.
So they send him to another school? Is he no longer a threat because they forced him to go to another school?
Gee we think he might be crazy and go on a killing spree. I know,we'll just make him attend a different school and let him kill those poor SOBs.

Makes ZERO sense. If the kid is a threat he should be kicked out of ALL schools.
Thats why the zero tolerance crap has to go.
I agree completely that "zero tolerance" policies and mandatory sentences are nonsense.

So they send him to another school? Is he no longer a threat because they forced him to go to another school?
Gee we think he might be crazy and go on a killing spree. I know,we'll just make him attend a different school and let him kill those poor SOBs.

Makes ZERO sense. If the kid is a threat he should be kicked out of ALL schools.
I agree completely that "zero tolerance" policies and mandatory sentences are nonsense.

I might be able to make a case for zero tolerance in any case where the evidence establishes that the gun was brought on to a high school "campus" intentionally.

But when the "zero tolerance" is applied to even an inadvertent matter like the case of this particular Eagle Scout, then obviously we are witnessing some major league stupidity by the administrators.

In the case of Californias 3 strike laws I agree. Beyond that even 0 tolerance allows for judicial disctretion.

The school district will back off.

That superintendent and school board president's phones are ringing off the hooks.

His crime: He went skeet shooting the day before with some friends, safely unloaded and locked up his shotgun in his truck afterward, and then forgot it was there the next day when he drove to school.
Zero sympathy here – ‘forgot’ and ‘guns’ do not go together.

With gun ownership comes responsibility, and part of that responsibility is knowing gun laws, policies, rules, and regulations.

It’s better he learn a hard lesson at a young age.

Let’s hope this will compel him to never ‘forget’ about a gun again.

Amen!

You people everyone of you are beyond idiots. So a felony on his record and not getting a diploma is ok with you,I will repeat your a FUCKING ass sucking retard.

You anti-gun zealots here are simply pitiful.

No other school is acceptable; the kid needs to finish at his school.

He has been offered a second scholarship this time to Harding University.

He was initially given a 365 day suspension but the Superintendent declined such and made it 10 days only. However he is still not allowed to graduate with his class and still faces felony charges.

Johnston County Superintendent Ed Croom reviewed the case, Wood said, and agreed to forgo the recommended 365-day suspension and to allow Withrow to finish out his high school career, beginning May 13, at an alternative school.

Johnston teen who left guns in truck will be allowed to graduate :: WRAL.com

Thanks to those who do and have had bad intentions, no exception can be made for this boy and now a normal graduating experience has been taken from him among other things I'm sure. You people, who are the reason why the guns laws are so strict now, I hope y'all are happy!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

God bless that boy and the rest of us always!!!

Holly

Thanks to those who do and have had bad intentions, no exception can be made for this boy and now a normal graduating experience has been taken from him among other things I'm sure. You people, who are the reason why the guns laws are so strict now, I hope y'all are happy!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

Holly

Smoke some more pot douchebag

Holly

Eat a dick douche bag.

Holly

Eat a dick douche bag.

No one was talking to you my lonely child. If you need attention just ask....otherwise stfu

Forum List

Back