Eagle Scout honor student expelled from school after forgetting gun locked in truck

Well, well, well.

The lefties here have shown as much common sense (none) as the reactionaries often display (none) on pet issues.

The rule was applied unevenly, with staff and admin getting breaks.

Mark my words: the student will graduate with his class and walk the stage.

If it is against the law to bring a firearm onto school property, then, yes, the school has no option but to report it to the police. The are obligated to do so. If it costs him a lot of money to defend himself, he will learn not to break the law. As far as his suspension from school and not being allowed to participate in school activities, including graduation ceremonies, I imagine that is following school rules and procedures, which, again, they cannot make exceptions about if those rules are to be taken seriously by all of the students now and in the future. He wont' get jail time and most likely will not be convicted of a felony. So you are making a big issue out of nothing. The laws are in place because of things bad people have done. All laws are in place because of those who do bad things, but we all have to obey those laws. That's what a civilized society does. If you make a stupid, irresponsible mistake that breaks the law, you pay for it, just like anyone else.

Big "if."

Does the "law" there prohibit bringing a gun on to school property?

Or does the law make it illegal to do so KNOWINGLY?

The SCHOOL's policy, says (in relevant part):

But the North Carolina LAW seems to REQUIRE that it be "knowingly"

§ 14‑269.2. Weapons on campus or other educational property.

(a) The following definitions apply to this section:

(1) Educational property. – Any school building or bus, school campus, grounds, recreational area, athletic field, or other property owned, used, or operated by any board of education or school board of trustees, or directors for the administration of any school.

(1b) School. – A public or private school, community college, college, or university.

(2) Student. – A person enrolled in a school or a person who has been suspended or expelled within the last five years from a school, whether the person is an adult or a minor.

(4) Weapon. – Any device enumerated in subsection (b), (b1), or (d) of this section.

(b) It shall be a Class I felony for any person knowingly to possess or carry, whether openly or concealed, any gun, rifle, pistol, or other firearm of any kind on educational property or to a curricular or extracurricular activity sponsored by a school. Unless the conduct is covered under some other provision of law providing greater punishment, any person who willfully discharges a firearm of any kind on educational property is guilty of a Class F felony. However, this subsection does not apply to a BB gun, stun gun, air rifle, or air pistol.
-- GS_14-269.2

Of course he did it knowingly. Just because he temporarily forgot it was in the car, that does not mean he didn't know it was there. He knew it was there, he just wasn't thinking. For example, I got on a plane once with my carry on bag full of expensive cosmetics I'd bought while traveling. I knew the law and I knew it wasn't allowed in carry on bags, but I 'forgot' temporarily because I had a lot of other things on my mind. They pulled me aside and opened the bag. The security person was a woman and realized this was very expensive cosmetics (bottles of skin care treatments), so she didn't want to dump it. She allowed me to check the bag in and have it go cargo w/o the extra cost because it was a small bag. But, I got a lecture about what was allowed and what wasn't. I knew what was allowed, I just wasn't thinking. And that's just cosmetics. How can someone forget a gun? Especially considering all the campus shootings in the US. IMO it is pretty hard for something like that to slip one's mind. So, he knew it was there; I knew the cosmetics were there, and the airline would have been within their rights to dump all of it if they chose to.

As far as the school punishment, it looks like that is mandated by the school board, so, again, the principal had no option but to follow the rules.

Unless of course it's the VP or a teacher. They get a pass.
I love how libs are always crying about fairness. ....but only when it suits them.

Last edited:
Big "if."

-- GS_14-269.2

Of course he did it knowingly. Just because he temporarily forgot it was in the car, that does not mean he didn't know it was there. He knew it was there, he just wasn't thinking. For example, I got on a plane once with my carry on bag full of expensive cosmetics I'd bought while traveling. I knew the law and I knew it wasn't allowed in carry on bags, but I 'forgot' temporarily because I had a lot of other things on my mind. They pulled me aside and opened the bag. The security person was a woman and realized this was very expensive cosmetics (bottles of skin care treatments), so she didn't want to dump it. She allowed me to check the bag in and have it go cargo w/o the extra cost because it was a small bag. But, I got a lecture about what was allowed and what wasn't. I knew what was allowed, I just wasn't thinking. And that's just cosmetics. How can someone forget a gun? Especially considering all the campus shootings in the US. IMO it is pretty hard for something like that to slip one's mind. So, he knew it was there; I knew the cosmetics were there, and the airline would have been within their rights to dump all of it if they chose to.

As far as the school punishment, it looks like that is mandated by the school board, so, again, the principal had no option but to follow the rules.

I love how libs are always crying about fairness. ....but only when it suits them.

I never said the VP or a teacher should get a pass. Not in one of my posts have I even alluded to the VP or teacher. I think it is a separate issue. This thread is about the Eagle Scout.

Any others should also be dealt with according to the rules and the law. Of course. I don't think anyone, anyone you would label as a liberal or otherwise, has suggested on this thread that anyone should get a pass...well, except the conservatives seem to think the student should not be punished. But no liberals have said or suggested, as far as I've seen, that the teacher or administrator should be treated in any other way than according to the law and the district or school rules. Not the teacher, not the VP and not the student.

His crime: He went skeet shooting the day before with some friends, safely unloaded and locked up his shotgun in his truck afterward, and then forgot it was there the next day when he drove to school.
Zero sympathy here – ‘forgot’ and ‘guns’ do not go together.

With gun ownership comes responsibility, and part of that responsibility is knowing gun laws, policies, rules, and regulations.

It’s better he learn a hard lesson at a young age.

Let’s hope this will compel him to never ‘forget’ about a gun again.

Amen!

Yup... The same people ^ who profess that drug users should not be crowding our jails are the very same people who would be more than happy to lock up and throw away the key for an Eagle Scout student who realized he made a mistake and tried to fix it. You kooks are unbelievable.

I never said the VP or a teacher should get a pass. Not in one of my posts have I even alluded to the VP or teacher. I think it is a separate issue. This thread is about the Eagle Scout.

Any others should also be dealt with according to the rules and the law. Of course. I don't think anyone, anyone you would label as a liberal or otherwise, has suggested on this thread that anyone should get a pass...well, except the conservatives seem to think the student should not be punished. But no liberals have said or suggested, as far as I've seen, that the teacher or administrator should be treated in any other way than according to the law and the district or school rules. Not the teacher, not the VP and not the student.

Well the teacher, the principal and the cop were ALL treated different than the student. And according to your definition they all did such “knowingly” as well. HOWEVER the Superintendent and police said they DID NOT do it knowingly therefore pressed no charges against the cop and principal who put lives in danger.

You do not think that this set a tone or an example at that school? Three recent episodes of people forgetting and making mistakes by those who are PAID to teach and set examples? All three of them never charged and given slaps on the wrist?

You don’t think that did not factor into this kid not being a vigilant as he should have been? IF this kid had not tried to do the right thing and correct his mistake he would have never been found out.
The only lesson being taught at this school is if you try to right a mistake you will be punished while adults and those in position of authority will be excused.

What’s even crazier about this is the assistant principal after she tried to HIDE her error along with the cop who hid her error, tried to get the students who found the weapon suspended after she was only given 2 days suspension and was never charged.
If it had not been for her actions then these kids would have never discovered her gun while searching for the car’s owner manual.

If it is against the law to bring a firearm onto school property, then, yes, the school has no option but to report it to the police. The are obligated to do so. If it costs him a lot of money to defend himself, he will learn not to break the law. As far as his suspension from school and not being allowed to participate in school activities, including graduation ceremonies, I imagine that is following school rules and procedures, which, again, they cannot make exceptions about if those rules are to be taken seriously by all of the students now and in the future. He wont' get jail time and most likely will not be convicted of a felony. So you are making a big issue out of nothing. The laws are in place because of things bad people have done. All laws are in place because of those who do bad things, but we all have to obey those laws. That's what a civilized society does. If you make a stupid, irresponsible mistake that breaks the law, you pay for it, just like anyone else.

Big "if."

(1) Educational property. – Any school building or bus, school campus, grounds, recreational area, athletic field, or other property owned, used, or operated by any board of education or school board of trustees, or directors for the administration of any school.

(1b) School. – A public or private school, community college, college, or university.

(2) Student. – A person enrolled in a school or a person who has been suspended or expelled within the last five years from a school, whether the person is an adult or a minor.

(4) Weapon. – Any device enumerated in subsection (b), (b1), or (d) of this section.

(b) It shall be a Class I felony for any person knowingly to possess or carry, whether openly or concealed, any gun, rifle, pistol, or other firearm of any kind on educational property or to a curricular or extracurricular activity sponsored by a school. Unless the conduct is covered under some other provision of law providing greater punishment, any person who willfully discharges a firearm of any kind on educational property is guilty of a Class F felony. However, this subsection does not apply to a BB gun, stun gun, air rifle, or air pistol.
-- GS_14-269.2

You really need to look up the definition of knowingly, especially when it comes to the law. It means a deliberate or conscious choice. It was not a deliberate or conscious choice he forgot the gun was in the trunk.

The principal could have followed the same rules which were followed for the assistant principal, the cop and the second teacher. Obviously it is within his discretion as evidenced by his choices there.

Big "if."

-- GS_14-269.2

You are comparing your situation with his? Being allowed to keep your expensive cosmetics and still get on the plane with a kid that was originally expelled from school and charged with a felony? What exactly did they charge you with? NOTHING? I thought not. Again, apples and oranges. Don't you people have any common sense?

They forgave you and even made it so you could keep your cosmetics. If this was the same, he would have been given a lecture and his mother told to come get his gun and THAT'S IT!!!

Big "if."

-- GS_14-269.2

Actually, you are 100% wrong. If he forgot it was there he did not do it knowingly.

Well, well, well.

The lefties here have shown as much common sense (none) as the reactionaries often display (none) on pet issues.

The rule was applied unevenly, with staff and admin getting breaks.

Mark my words: the student will graduate with his class and walk the stage.

That would depend on when the graduation actually is. I do agree that there it is extremely unlikely he will end up in prison, or with a record, but it might take longer than he has before graduation to get the school to admit they are wrong.

Exactly.

There also is a law against rape. But there are no laws against carrying a (legal) firearm onto a premises (the exceptions being prisons, etc., where the laws are specific and plainly posted.)

So the cop who told that fellow he'd committed a felony for violating someone's arbitrary rule was pulling his chain for unnecessarily announcing he was carrying a gun.

Dude, HELLO! If you're forbidden to carry a weapon onto someone's property and you do - that's trespassing. That's known as a "crime" ! Property owners are allowed to narrowly define who may come onto their property. If I put up a "no soliciting" sign on my property, that means I explicitly forbid solicitation and anyone entering for that purpose is trespassing. If I put up a "no firearms allowed" sign on my property and you enter with a firearm, you are trespassing unless the law provides otherwise (cops executing their duty, for instance).
Trespassing is a specific offense. There are specific laws against it. If you post a sign prohibiting trespassing and someone enters onto the posted property, they have broken the law and are subject to arrest.

But if you post a sign forbidding the wearing of green shirts on the premises, and someone enters the premises wearing a green shirt, do you think they have broken the law?

I wouldn't be surprised if trespassing while carrying a firearm is a felony, either. Do we know what state this happened in?
If the firearm is legally owned and permitted it is comparable to the green shirt example as far as your sign is concerned. But if you tell the gun carrier, or the green shirt wearer, he is not welcome on your premises, and you tell him to leave, and he doesn't, then you can have him arrested. But don't make the mistake of believing violation of your posted rule, alone, translates to trespassing, because trespassing is a seperate offense and intention to trespass must be proved.

Carrying a (legal) gun or wearing a green shirt, in defiance of a posted sign, does not constitute or prove intention to trespass.

Thanks to those who do and have had bad intentions, no exception can be made for this boy and now a normal graduating experience has been taken from him among other things I'm sure. You people, who are the reason why the guns laws are so strict now, I hope y'all are happy!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:
Smoke some more pot douchebag
I would have been here sooner, but sadly I lost another family member the day that you left this message for me and their funeral was earlier today. :( :( :(

For the record, I do not smoke..........anything.

God bless you and the remainder of my family always!!!

Holly

P.S. Also you will never find me drinking any alcoholic beverages, I am not a fan of drugs, legal or illegal, and I sleep alone until I am married only I may never get married because the last thing that I want is for another person to find my personal family issues on their plate on top of any problems that they may already have themselves.

CaféAuLait;7209046 said:
The school board stood by their original decision today.
That doesn't surprise me and to me it is all because of those who would have taken advantage of the situation if the boy had been able to slide.

God bless you and him always!!!

Holly

P.S. Because of those who don't care about what their actions do to other people, innocent mistakes can not be made anymore. :( :( :(

Larry C. Strickland, Chairman. Johnston County Schools Board has just released a statement which said that there was still a process which has yet to be completed an appeal's process and that this appeal board has yet to meet to render it's decision. So maybe there is hope.

Forum List

Back