Eagle Scout honor student expelled from school after forgetting gun locked in truck

"Expelled" doesn't mean he can never go back to school.

It means that he can't go back to that school.

It sure as hell cuts down on schools that will accept him as a student

ADMIN: So tell me why you left XYZ High School.
STUDENT: I was expelled and convicted of a felony for bringing a gun to school.

Given the Liberal mindset of educators in this country, what do you suppose his chances are of finishing high school with anything but a GED?

I think you might not understand how the public high school system works.

Schools generally can't choose who to "accept".

They have the right not to accept a student who was expelled from another public school.

100% since public schools aren't allowed to choose who goes there. Nearly every district had a secondary school for kids who've been in trouble and those that don't contract with the ones that do.
Generally if you are expelled, another school can use that as grounds to refuse you admission.

Most schools are bound by zipcode and district and are compelled to take any child that resides within that boundary. And extreme cases are sent to secondary schools when that is not an option.

The kid will graduate and the judge will use discretion. Count on it

You have more faith in the judge than I do.

The school administration have already proven they can't and won't use discretion. If this goes before one of Obama's gun grabbing, anti-second amendment Judges who is going to "send a message", this kid is royally screwed for life.

Are you saying he wasn't expelled, or that I don't know what expelled means?

Expulsion (education) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Expulsion, exclusion, withdrawing, or permanent exclusion refers to a permanent removal/banning of a student from a school system or university for persistently violating that institution's rules, or for a single offence of appropriate severity in extreme cases. Laws and procedures regarding expulsion vary between countries and states."

We are saying that you don't know what "expelled" means.

I was expelled from high school during my junior year for drugs. I was transfered to a different high school 2 weeks later, and graduated the next year, with a high school diploma (not a GED).

I was expelled for bringing alcohol on campus. I went to summer school that year and caught back up.

It is ridiculous what is happening to this guy, and it should be rectified. However, I cannot help but wonder if people would be up in arms if a gang banger were in the same situation.

I sincerely doubt a "gang banger" would have called his mother to come pick up the gun that was locked in his trunk. You are now comparing a person who knowingly commits crimes (a gang banger) with an honor student. Do you really think a "gang banger" would ever be in this situation in the first place? Being punished for calling his mother?

Are you claiming that this honor student has never "knowingly committed crimes"? How do you know?

I'm trying to understand how you differentiate between "gang-bangers" and "not".

Talk to NoNukes. IMO gang-bangers are people who are known to have committed crimes. The guy we're talking about is an honor student, not one you would associate with committing crimes. If you have a different definition, feel free to post it. I didn't bring the gang-bangers up, NoNukes did.

Given the Liberal mindset of educators in this country, what do you suppose his chances are of finishing high school with anything but a GED?

They have the right not to accept a student who was expelled from another public school.

According to NJ state law, a student can only be "expelled" from a school if there is another alternative school that he can then go to.

The kid has learned some valuable lessons in life. Don't trust authority. Don't assume people are reasonable. Don't assume you know what "the right thing" is. Never tell on yourself. He will finish his classes in Summer School and his new view on confessing in front of strangers, even accidentally, will keep him out of trouble in the future.

One more time. He was expelled. That means he was kicked out of school forever, and unless something new has come out, he will not be able to complete his education ever.

It has been pointed out a number of times in this thread that you are completely incorrect.

"Expulsion" does NOT mean that you can "never" go back to school.

It might mean that he can never go back to that school, it might mean that he can go back to that school in 1 year.

He has not lost his right to a public education by being expelled. He might have to go to a designated school for problem students, or just to the school one town over. Either way, he'll get his diploma.

I posted the definition of "expulsion". Feel free to read it at your leisure.

Generally if you are expelled, another school can use that as grounds to refuse you admission.

Most schools are bound by zipcode and district and are compelled to take any child that resides within that boundary. And extreme cases are sent to secondary schools when that is not an option.

The kid will graduate and the judge will use discretion. Count on it

You have more faith in the judge than I do.

The school administration have already proven they can't and won't use discretion. If this goes before one of Obama's gun grabbing, anti-second amendment Judges who is going to "send a message", this kid is royally screwed for life.

Local judges are elected by the local people. Besides that I can't see ANY judge chosing to ruin this kids life by convicting him with a felony charge. Especially if this kid is as good as everyone is claiming.

Also, according to what I'm reading in the NJ state codes, it doesn't seem that he was "expelled" at all, only "removed from general education" for 1 year.

6A:16-5.6 Removal of students for assaults with weapons offenses
(a) Each district board of education shall adopt and implement policies and procedures
regarding any student who commits an assault, as defined under N.J.S.A. 2C:12-1(a)1,
with a weapon, which includes, but is not limited to, those items enumerated in N.J.S.A.
2C:39-1(r), except a firearm as defined by N.J.S.A. 2C:39-1(f) and 18 U.S.C. § 921, upon
a teacher, administrator, board member, other employee of a school board or another
student on any school grounds, including on a school bus or at a school-sponsored
function, according to the requirements of N.J.S.A. 18A:37-2.2 through 2.5.
(b) Any student as set forth in (a) above, other than a student with a disability, shall be
immediately removed from the school’s general education program for a period not
exceeding one calendar year
http://www.state.nj.us/education/code/current/title6a/chap16.pdf

"Expelled" doesn't mean he can never go back to school.

It means that he can't go back to that school.

So lets say the kid is a threat. Now he can just go to another school to carry out his plan of mass murder?:cuckoo:

One more time. He was expelled. That means he was kicked out of school forever, and unless something new has come out, he will not be able to complete his education ever.

It has been pointed out a number of times in this thread that you are completely incorrect.

It might mean that he can never go back to that school, it might mean that he can go back to that school in 1 year.

He has not lost his right to a public education by being expelled. He might have to go to a designated school for problem students, or just to the school one town over. Either way, he'll get his diploma.

That is a general definition. Do you take everything at face value?

You posted a wikipedia definition of "expulsion" - one that clearly states that laws differ from state to state.

I, on the other hand, posted the specific section of the NJ State code.

Expulsion does not mean the same thing in every jurisdiction.

In "gun free school zone" violation cases, if the school wants the Federal funding, the expulsion is supposed to be for one year.

But even the law allows for exceptions.

The problem with THIS case is that although the law he allegedly violated SEEMS to require that the violation be a knowing and voluntary one, THIS action appears to have been a mere inadvertent and unintentional oversight.

I mean, damn. Somebody down there should get their head screwed on right and rescind this dopey determination before it hurts the kid's academic career and his life.

So lets say the kid is a threat. Now he can just go to another school to carry out his plan of mass murder?:cuckoo:

I have no idea what point you're attempting to make here.

CaféAuLait;7181528 said:
ABC11 has uncovered that two school officials both brought guns onto school property in recent years, but were never charged with felonies like Cole.

'Free Cole' controversy takes over Johnston County town | abc11.com

Liberty Univ. Offers Full Scholarship to Eagle Scout Facing Gun Charges

Read more: Liberty Univ. Offers Full Scholarship to Eagle Scout Facing Gun Charges | Eagle Scout | Fox Nation

Now that is KICK ASS!!! Kudos to Liberty Univ.

CaféAuLait;7181528 said:
ABC11 has uncovered that two school officials both brought guns onto school property in recent years, but were never charged with felonies like Cole.

'Free Cole' controversy takes over Johnston County town | abc11.com

Liberty Univ. Offers Full Scholarship to Eagle Scout Facing Gun Charges

Read more: Liberty Univ. Offers Full Scholarship to Eagle Scout Facing Gun Charges | Eagle Scout | Fox Nation

Now that is KICK ASS!!! Kudos to Liberty Univ.

Great for Liberty University. At least something good has come out of this.

It's pretty simple. They expelled the kid for bringing a gun to school.
Why? Because they obviously think he is a threat.
So they send him to another school? Is he no longer a threat because they forced him to go to another school?
Gee we think he might be crazy and go on a killing spree. I know,we'll just make him attend a different school and let him kill those poor SOBs.

Makes ZERO sense. If the kid is a threat he should be kicked out of ALL schools.
Thats why the zero tolerance crap has to go.

It's pretty simple. They expelled the kid for bringing a gun to school.
Why? Because they obviously think he is a threat.
So they send him to another school? Is he no longer a threat because they forced him to go to another school?
Gee we think he might be crazy and go on a killing spree. I know,we'll just make him attend a different school and let him kill those poor SOBs.

Makes ZERO sense. If the kid is a threat he should be kicked out of ALL schools.
Thats why the zero tolerance crap has to go.

They expelled him because he BROUGHT a gun to school at all, and it doesn't matter the slightest little bit that not even THOSE morons are stupid enough to consider the kid to be any kind of "threat."

That county in NC tried to pass a law under the guise of a "noise" ordinance to outlaw virtually all "gunfire."

They (meaning at least the legislators there) have evidently been co-opted by the anti-gun liberal Democratics and their silly anti-2nd-Amendment agenda.

Also, according to what I'm reading in the NJ state codes, it doesn't seem that he was "expelled" at all, only "removed from general education" for 1 year.

6A:16-5.6 Removal of students for assaults with weapons offenses
(a) Each district board of education shall adopt and implement policies and procedures
regarding any student who commits an assault, as defined under N.J.S.A. 2C:12-1(a)1,
with a weapon, which includes, but is not limited to, those items enumerated in N.J.S.A.
2C:39-1(r), except a firearm as defined by N.J.S.A. 2C:39-1(f) and 18 U.S.C. § 921, upon
a teacher, administrator, board member, other employee of a school board or another
student on any school grounds, including on a school bus or at a school-sponsored
function, according to the requirements of N.J.S.A. 18A:37-2.2 through 2.5.
(b) Any student as set forth in (a) above, other than a student with a disability, shall be
immediately removed from the school’s general education program for a period not
exceeding one calendar year
http://www.state.nj.us/education/code/current/title6a/chap16.pdf

He didn't assault anyone. The weapon was always locked in his vehicle.
Show me the rule pertaining to possessing an unloaded, secured weapon locked within a private vehicle.

Forum List

Back