Dumbocrat Governor and Libtard Legislature lead California

Yeah and 400 billion dollars in debt.....well done left loons
Or Cubafornia as one conservative described the Golden State:

California's economy is bigger than all but five nations, World Bank data says

I read about the California Governor, his name's Jerry Brown, although I got mistaken one time and thought he was named Charlie Brown :eusa_doh:

Anyhow, he's now in his 70s and he was Governor in the 1970s and they called him Governor Moonbeam :smoke:

Q. Do you know why he was called "Moonbeam"

A. CA is a large state, with offices in San Diego and Crescent City and everywhere in between. The costs of communication by telephone alone was enormous and then Gov. Brown suggested CA have Satellite put into orbit which would obviate enormous monthly telephone bills.

Brown is pragmatic and fiscally responsible, unlike any of his predecessors (Deukmejian, Wilson, Davis or Schwarzenegger) or Reagan who preceded him; even as he approaches 80 years of age he remains an energetic proactive leader.

Brown is doing a great job. We have had balanced budgets on time for the first times in decades.

Plus he funds infrastructure, science, r&d and education respectably! Just link clinton did! Republicans love to bitch about debt and big government, but democrats show that they can govern a hell of alot better and more efficiently.

Brown is pragmatic and fiscally responsible

How much does he want to waste on high speed rail?

Q. How much does he want to waste on high speed rail?

A. Myopic thinking. Condition suffered by those incapable of sagacious thought.

So he wants to waste a lot. I agree, that is myopic.

You're ridiculous. CA highways are grid locked, the air corridor between Sacramento, the Bay area to LA & San Diego is full. Transit village will be develop along the route through the Central Valley, and commuter rail will aid the commute into SF & Silicon Valley from cities in the Central Valley, and commuters who go north and south from Orange Co. too.

CA highways are grid locked

So your solution, instead of building more highways, which would actually be used, would be a "high speed" rail that no one will use. Excellent!!

Trains are used every day in the US, Europe and Asia. Once the US was the leader in RR transportation, then we became a nation controlled by the oil, battery and tire industries who lobbied for more highways. Always ready for a free lunch, elected officials accommodated them.

Trains are used every day in the US

You bet. There are plenty of money losing passenger trains in the US.

I read about the California Governor, his name's Jerry Brown, although I got mistaken one time and thought he was named Charlie Brown :eusa_doh:

Anyhow, he's now in his 70s and he was Governor in the 1970s and they called him Governor Moonbeam :smoke:

A. CA is a large state, with offices in San Diego and Crescent City and everywhere in between. The costs of communication by telephone alone was enormous and then Gov. Brown suggested CA have Satellite put into orbit which would obviate enormous monthly telephone bills.

Brown is pragmatic and fiscally responsible, unlike any of his predecessors (Deukmejian, Wilson, Davis or Schwarzenegger) or Reagan who preceded him; even as he approaches 80 years of age he remains an energetic proactive leader.

Brown is pragmatic and fiscally responsible

How much does he want to waste on high speed rail?

Well I don't agree with Brown on everything.

I can't think of a single politician I have agreed with on everything.

Yeah and 400 billion dollars in debt.....well done left loons

Brown is doing a great job. We have had balanced budgets on time for the first times in decades.

Plus he funds infrastructure, science, r&d and education respectably! Just link clinton did! Republicans love to bitch about debt and big government, but democrats show that they can govern a hell of alot better and more efficiently.

Then why is Detroit bankrupt and Illinois would be if it wasn't against the law?

For a different view of the wonderfulness of California's current situation:

"Some 62 percent of state roads have been rated poor or mediocre. There were more predictions of huge cost overruns and yearly losses on high-speed rail -- before the first mile of track has been laid. One-third of Bay Area residents were polled as hoping to leave the area soon...

California state taxes -- sales, income and gasoline -- rate among the highest in the U.S. Yet California roads and K-12 education rank near the bottom.

After years of drought, California has not built a single new reservoir. Instead, scarce fresh aqueduct water is still being diverted to sea. Thousands of rural central California homes, in Dust Bowl fashion, have been abandoned due to a sinking aquifer and dry wells.

One in three American welfare recipients resides in California. Almost a quarter of the state population lives below or near the poverty line. Yet the state's gas and electricity prices are among the nation's highest...

Current state-funded pension programs are not sustainable.

California depends on a tiny elite class for about half of its income tax revenue. Yet many of these wealthy taxpayers are fleeing the 40-million-person state, angry over paying 12 percent of their income for lousy public services.

Public health costs have soared as one-third of California residents admitted to state hospitals for any causes suffer from diabetes, a sometimes-lethal disease often predicated on poor diet, lack of exercise and excessive weight.

Nearly half of all traffic accidents in the Los Angeles area are classified as hit-and-run collisions.

Grass-roots voter pushbacks are seen as pointless. Progressive state and federal courts have overturned a multitude of reform measures of the last 20 years that had passed with ample majorities

In impoverished central California towns such as Mendota, where thousands of acres were idled due to water cutoffs, once-busy farmworkers live in shacks. But even in opulent San Francisco, the sidewalks full of homeless people do not look much different...

[California suffers from] Excessive state regulations and expanding government, massive illegal immigration from impoverished nations, and the rise of unimaginable wealth in the tech industry and coastal retirement communities [which have] created two antithetical Californias.

One is an elite, out-of-touch caste along the fashionable Pacific Ocean corridor that runs the state and has the money to escape the real-life consequences of its own unworkable agendas.

The other is a huge underclass in central, rural and foothill California that cannot flee to the coast and suffers the bulk of the fallout from Byzantine state regulations, poor schools and the failure to assimilate recent immigrants from some of the poorest areas in the world.

The result is Connecticut and Alabama combined in one state. A house in Menlo Park may sell for more than $1,000 a square foot. In Madera three hours away, the cost is about one-tenth of that."

(Copied from a recent column by Victor Davis Hanson)

For a different view of the wonderfulness of California's current situation:

"Some 62 percent of state roads have been rated poor or mediocre. There were more predictions of huge cost overruns and yearly losses on high-speed rail -- before the first mile of track has been laid. One-third of Bay Area residents were polled as hoping to leave the area soon...

California state taxes -- sales, income and gasoline -- rate among the highest in the U.S. Yet California roads and K-12 education rank near the bottom.

After years of drought, California has not built a single new reservoir. Instead, scarce fresh aqueduct water is still being diverted to sea. Thousands of rural central California homes, in Dust Bowl fashion, have been abandoned due to a sinking aquifer and dry wells.

One in three American welfare recipients resides in California. Almost a quarter of the state population lives below or near the poverty line. Yet the state's gas and electricity prices are among the nation's highest...

Current state-funded pension programs are not sustainable.

California depends on a tiny elite class for about half of its income tax revenue. Yet many of these wealthy taxpayers are fleeing the 40-million-person state, angry over paying 12 percent of their income for lousy public services.

Public health costs have soared as one-third of California residents admitted to state hospitals for any causes suffer from diabetes, a sometimes-lethal disease often predicated on poor diet, lack of exercise and excessive weight.

Nearly half of all traffic accidents in the Los Angeles area are classified as hit-and-run collisions.

Grass-roots voter pushbacks are seen as pointless. Progressive state and federal courts have overturned a multitude of reform measures of the last 20 years that had passed with ample majorities

In impoverished central California towns such as Mendota, where thousands of acres were idled due to water cutoffs, once-busy farmworkers live in shacks. But even in opulent San Francisco, the sidewalks full of homeless people do not look much different...

[California suffers from] Excessive state regulations and expanding government, massive illegal immigration from impoverished nations, and the rise of unimaginable wealth in the tech industry and coastal retirement communities [which have] created two antithetical Californias.

One is an elite, out-of-touch caste along the fashionable Pacific Ocean corridor that runs the state and has the money to escape the real-life consequences of its own unworkable agendas.

The other is a huge underclass in central, rural and foothill California that cannot flee to the coast and suffers the bulk of the fallout from Byzantine state regulations, poor schools and the failure to assimilate recent immigrants from some of the poorest areas in the world.

The result is Connecticut and Alabama combined in one state. A house in Menlo Park may sell for more than $1,000 a square foot. In Madera three hours away, the cost is about one-tenth of that."

(Copied from a recent column by Victor Davis Hanson)

Statements sans evidence = opinions

If all were true and the State of California was really the dystopian region depicted in the post above, it would become readily apparent to those of us who live here. Now, I admit, I iive in an upscale region and neighborhood, so the view from my window is idyllic and belies the picture Victor Davis Hanson provided to DGS49, who may never have visited California, or is he did not much of it.

We do have ghettos and gangs, drug problems, crime, poverty and gridlock, but so do other regions in other states. What is also true is the contrast between the very well off and the working poor and homeless shows in relief here, and less so in other places. I can remember my company in boot camp (NTCSD) included some of us from CA but more from Oklahoma and Texas - the Southern boy's seemed to have a chip on their shoulder against Californian's and the State even then (1967).

I don't know why, but my first impression was lasting and not positive. Reading the hate, fueled by misinformation and hit piece articles on this message board, I understand that somethings, impression/opinions change slowly if at all. After Boot Camp and on my first leave home to SF the summer of love was in full swing. My parents lived in the avenues, walking distance from the Haight Ashbury District where with my hair cut (nearly bald) made me stand out.

What I learned is most / many of those who migrated here came from the midwest and the south and didn't bring with them the bigotry of my 'shipmates' in Boot Camp. Too bad so many on this message board have such closed minds and allow others to do their thinking.

Forum List

Back