Draft-dodger Bill Clinton

And bushie going AWOL is better how???

I'm sorry I didn't see anywhere that President Bush had been charged with AWOL.

I did see where he completed his training and I saw where several members of his Unit were shipped to Vietnam.

Maybe you can point us to a link that shows where he was charged.......

I hate it when people knock the ANG. They do the job they signed-up to do! At least they signed-up!

Hell, I was stateside, on shore duty, following four years of arduous sea duty when Desert Storm erupted. Never deployed for that one.

I guess they think I am a "Chickenshit" too...

I did see where he completed his training and I saw where several members of his Unit were shipped to Vietnam.

I hate it when people knock the ANG. They do the job they signed-up to do! At least they signed-up!

Hell, I was stateside, on shore duty, following four years of arduous sea duty when Desert Storm erupted. Never deployed for that one.

At the Time Bush Joined you had to have major political suction to get in the guard.
I know I tried and was drafted and went to combat in Nam.

Well, I never thought I'd say this, but hey, who can blame him for going to Oxford to avoid going to Vietnam?

I can't get too worked up over this. Sorry.

Dodging the draft during Vietnam was like a national sport.

I had several friends that avoided being conscripted.

Some were very creative in their methods.

I personally don't have any animosity towards people who beat the draft.

Because in hind sight. They were smarter than me.

I was stupid and allowed myself to be inducted when I received my "Greetings from the President" letter.

I always wonder just how many who talk shit about Bush would strap into one of those fighters themselves. It isn't a fun feeling.....

I always wonder just how many who talk shit about Bush would strap into one of those fighters themselves. It isn't a fun feeling.....

I hear ya....
Hell, even taking a cushy rear-echelon support billet would be a challenge for some.
As always, thanks for your service Ollie.

At the Time Bush Joined you had to have major political suction to get in the guard.

It was difficult to get into the Guard? When? Why? I never heard such a thing. The ANG was turning people away who wanted to enllist?

Ollie? Does that ring a bell? I joined the service in 75, and they were all too happy to sign me up.

I've heard reports that seem credible from both sides, That there was a waiting list and that there were open slots. As far as Bush getting special treatment....Here is a quote from his commanding Officer at the time:

"He didn't use political influence to get into the Air National Guard," Staudt said, adding, "I don't know how they would know that, because I was the one who did it and I was the one who was there and I didn't talk to any of them."

It was difficult to get into the Guard? When? Why? I never heard such a thing. The ANG was turning people away who wanted to enllist?

Ollie? Does that ring a bell? I joined the service in 75, and they were all too happy to sign me up.
By then the Vietnam war was over and the Guard was no longer a source of refuge.

To join the Guard 1967 - 72 took some major connections.

The list was long; but guys with rich parents and political pull would go to the top of the list.

Last edited:
ational Guard records and Bush's own supervisor's and friends show no sign of him attending any drills or performing any service for nearly a year, from May 1972 until May 1973. This period began with Bush moving to Alabama for a political campaign.

He later applied to transfer to a base that had no work; the transfer was first approved, then cancelled. Bush did nothing for several months; then in September he applied to transfer to Alabama's 187th Tactical Recon group for 3 months. This was approved, but the unit's commander, General William Turnipseed, and his then admnistrative officer, Kenneth Lott, have both said that Bush never showed up. "Had he reported in, I would have had some recall, and I do not," said Turnipseed. "I had been in Texas, done my flight training there. If we had had a first lieutenant from Texas, I would have remembered."

Bush claims that he did some work in Alabama, but can't remember any details. �I can�t remember what I did,� he said. �I just�I fulfilled my obligation." Despite 2 years of searching through hundreds of records, his campaign has been unable to find any record of Bush's service there, nor could they find a single fellow serviceman who remembers his presence. The best they could produce was an ex-girlfriend from Alabama -- Emily Marks --who said George told her he would have to do some Guard duty later that year (1972) in Montgomery. But all that confirms is that he knew of his obligation.

In December 1972, Bush returned to Houston and was scheduled to resume duty there. But in May 1973, Bush's supervising pilots wrote in his annual efficiency report: "Lt. Bush has not been observed at this unit during the period of the report" (i.e. through April 30, 1972). Bush described one of the supervisors, the late Col. Jerry Killian, as a personal friend, so it's likely he would have noticed Bush and given him the benefit of the doubt. Later that month, two special orders commanded Bush to appear for active duty. He served 36 days of active duty during May, June and July before leaving the Guard early.

Amazingly, Bush was not disciplined in any way for his absence, and received an honorable discharge. Under Air National Guard rules at that time, guardsmen who missed duty could be reported to their Selective Service Board and inducted into the Army as draftees.

That depended on where you happened to be; we had Guard units here with open slots. Likewise,whether you got drafted or not depended on whether your county had met its quota; if it had, you weren't going to be drafted, and if it hadn't then you were going to get drafted, even with a pretty high number. That part of it was luck of the draw, so to speak.

Of course, what some people forget is that Guard units (and sometimes individuals) got deployed to Vietnam. Aside from that, flying fighters is not exactly a low-risk occupation (you can get killed doing that, even in peacetime). Personally I felt safer jumping out of aircraft, than I would have flying one. Besides, it's not like going to Vietnam was a death sentence, even for us grunts; most of us survived the experience, though it was not fun.

As far as being scared goes, any sane man is scared in ground combat; show me someone who is not, and I'll show you someone I don't care to share a foxhole with. I've felt enough fear, not to be so quick to call anyone who served in any capacity a "chicken hawk". Then again, I believed in what we were doing there, and those of you who didn't may have a different point of view. I don't blame anyone for not wanting to go, but we had a job to do, and someone had to do it.

Forum List

Back