DOJ: About 250,000 Violent Home Invasions per Year, Would You Rather Have a Pistol or an AR?

Source: https://bjs.ojp.gov/content/pub/ascii/vdhb.txt

The numbers change but in the hundreds of thousands. It is not all that rare. So isn't a pistol enough? Well not unless you are an expert with a pistol. What the TV bang-bang doesn't tell you is it is actually kinda hard to hit something with a pistol except at short range. They bounce and jerk a lot unless, again, you are an expert. You can't get the same grip and aim on a pistol as you can on a rifle. Well there's hunting rifles! But many women, especially small or thin ones, are all but knocked on their rears from the recoil of a 30-30 deer rifle. They are made to take down large animals, not self defense. And you don't have that many rounds. Often one between reload with a bolt action.

Nope. What you want is an AR, light, accurate, little recoil, and the little lady can shoot it just fine. Also a pistol round, say 9mm, might not stop a large, drug-numbed attacker. But that AR sure will. A quarter million violent home invasions a year. That is not a little number. And now they want to take them away? I say naw sir. Nope. No way.

There are Less than 400 gun murders a year with assault rifles, 14,000 with handguns. Liberals are you listening to logic and reason here? Less than 400 vs. 14,000 with handguns. This is not about saving lives, or handguns would be your target.
There are approximately 128,450, 000 homes in the US. So 250,000 / 128,450,000 then multiplied by 100 = 0.19%. It's a really tiny percentage.

Devious is okay as long as she remains loyal.

oh, she is completely faithful. She hurt her paw and ran to me like a little kid. After I fixed her up she just looked at me and licked my face in gratitude. She was just like my daughter. Who she also adores.

An AR has it's place but in the case of a home invasion you probably aren't going to be able to get to it and insert a mag and chamber a round and make sure the safety is off fast enough unless you are anticipating a shootout in the freaking driveway. A .32 or a .38 revolver is best for someone who is relatively inexperienced with firearms. Moderate recall, no safety to worry about, no chambered round or magazine to worry about, just point and pull the trigger. You can buy a single barrel 12 ga pretty cheap and legally cut the barrel down to a manageable length. It only holds one shot but a 00 buck shell has 9 .32 caliber round balls. All you need to do is cock the exposed hammer and let 'er rip. It goes a long way if you can get away with brandishing it too. The business end looks like a sewer pipe.

An AR has it's place but in the case of a home invasion you probably aren't going to be able to get to it and insert a mag and chamber a round and make sure the safety is off fast enough unless you are anticipating a shootout in the freaking driveway. A .32 or a .38 revolver is best for someone who is relatively inexperienced with firearms. Moderate recall, no safety to worry about, no chambered round or magazine to worry about, just point and pull the trigger. You can buy a single barrel 12 ga pretty cheap and legally cut the barrel down to a manageable length. It only holds one shot but a 00 buck shell has 9 .32 caliber round balls. All you need to do is cock the exposed hammer and let 'er rip. It goes a long way if you can get away with brandishing it too. The business end looks like a sewer pipe.

And after you have fired your one shot, you, and your family are dead.

Ha ha - that's what bullpuppies are for! :p

You can get a nice little puppy for about a week's pay ...

I have a Benelli M1 Super 90 for house defense. Much better all around.

I have a Benelli M1 Super 90 for house defense. Much better all around.

Yeah. Everything is a compromise. Whatever works for you, is the best.

I like the idea of being able to re-up on defense, so I go for the box mags instead of the wells. Once I had to blast my way out of a nasty situation, and I only had a 12+1, it worked fine for about... a minute... lol

This whole house was built by a security guy. Long story. Lots of great features though. We have defense in depth. The shotgun is only for those who manage to get by the alligators in the moat, so like .. pros. So okay, not fucking around, here you go, have half a dozen 3-inchers...

Yeah. Everything is a compromise. Whatever works for you, is the best.

I like the idea of being able to re-up on defense, so I go for the box mags instead of the wells. Once I had to blast my way out of a nasty situation, and I only had a 12+1, it worked fine for about... a minute... lol

This whole house was built by a security guy. Long story. Lots of great features though. We have defense in depth. The shotgun is only for those who manage to get by the alligators in the moat, so like .. pros. So okay, not fucking around, here you go, have half a dozen 3-inchers...

Thanks, but I have plenty!

"Defense in depth" is a good concept. Generalized security concept, same thing in cybersecurity. You have your moat with the alligators, then you have your drawbridge which you can pull up, then the castle walls so you can pour hot oil on whoever tried to climb up, and inside you've got your archers and the path to the throne room is full of increasingly proficient swordsmen. The chances of getting through all that are very small.

Forum List

Back