DOJ: About 250,000 Violent Home Invasions per Year, Would You Rather Have a Pistol or an AR?

I have two very effective defensive measures...

1) A 78 lb. German Shepherd. Arguably the best guard dog on the planet. GSD's are "attack first, bark later".
2) In easy reach from my bed, a 12 ga. security shotgun. Safety OFF with shells only in the magazine. In other words it is pump and squeeze the trigger. No fumbling around half asleep trying to find the tiny safety switch.

The chances of someone getting in the house is basically zero with Xena (our GSD). She will likely be aware of their presence before they even manage to open either storm door. Her "human in our territory" bark is very pronounced and different than any other bark. And if you have ever heard a GSD bark... they wake up the dead.

1) A 78 lb. German Shepherd. Arguably the best guard dog on the planet. GSD's are "attack first, bark later".
2) In easy reach from my bed, a 12 ga. security shotgun. Safety OFF with shells only in the magazine. In other words it is pump and squeeze the trigger. No fumbling around half asleep trying to find the tiny safety switch.

The chances of someone getting in the house is basically zero with Xena (our GSD). She will likely be aware of their presence before they even manage to open either storm door. Her "human in our territory" bark is very pronounced and different than any other bark. And if you have ever heard a GSD bark... they wake up the dead.

Safety off? Cripes what kind of neighborhood do you live in? :)

Safety off? Cripes what kind of neighborhood do you live in? :)
Actually pretty quiet... except unfortunately, unbeknownst to us when we bough the place 3 years ago, that about a half mile down the road is a shitty neighborhood that walk up and down the road to go towards downtown.
But yeah...safety definitely off. Keep in mind there is no shell in the chamber, so it has to be pumped to load then shoot.
We are 57 and 58 with no kids in the house obviously.

A loud deep voiced barking dog, even a recording is a great deterrent. A biting dog is these days a liability most people can't afford.

Actually pretty quiet... except unfortunately, unbeknownst to us when we bough the place 3 years ago, that about a half mile down the road is a shitty neighborhood that walk up and down the road to go towards downtown.
But yeah...safety definitely off. Keep in mind there is no shell in the chamber, so it has to be pumped to load then shoot.
We are 57 and 58 with no kids in the house obviously.

That's why I like cul-de-sacs. If SHTF post a bunch of guys in the surrounding woods with infrared scopes and ain't nothing getting near the houses. Put on the safety bro. Practice flicking it till you can do it in your sleep.

I keep the same .38 Special j-frame that I EDC on my night stand. My wife has a .45 1911 Army model and an air pistol that shoots pepper balls. I really do need to get either an AR or an AK. I'm torn . . .

My son just got a bullpup semi-auto 12 gauge, but he sleeps upstairs while my wife and I are downstairs, so I don't know what he'll be able to do if we get home invaded. Maybe except shoot invaders from his window as they run away.

That is beyond stupid and irresponsible.
You have to be kidding. The safety is not needed, and could be a hinderance. The biggest danger from a pump action shotgun with no round in the chamber is that the invader would hear you jack the shell and have time to react. But, I'm guessing iamwhatiseem is happy with the trade off that the action of a pump shotgun is a familiar sound that a home invader would listen for.

Dogs are great for security. We had a German Shepherd we got from the SG rescue society. She must have been about one quarter collie, though. She had collie colors with GS pattern. Best part was that the collie made her had a little larger than a typical GS, which gave her a crazy look.

The idea of someone coming into her house was an anathema to her. She would go crazy at the approach of a UPS, Amazon or mail carrier. We had to literally push her into her crate to be able to answer the door. But we would praise her.

I honestly think that if she had ever gotten out of the house, she would have gone looking for people who might be thinking of coming into our house.

Dogs are great for security. We had a German Shepherd we got from the SG rescue society. She must have been about one quarter collie, though. She had collie colors with GS pattern. Best part was that the collie made her had a little larger than a typical GS, which gave her a crazy look.

The idea of someone coming into her house was an anathema to her. She would go crazy at the approach of a UPS, Amazon or mail carrier. We had to literally push her into her crate to be able to answer the door. But we would praise her.

I honestly think that if she had ever gotten out of the house, she would have gone looking for people who might be thinking of coming into our house.
That is the GSD in her.
WHat I like about Xena that is different than any other breed I have owned - is they don't run away from danger and bark. They run straight at the source. They are known for their bravery, which is exactly why the military has used them for nearly 100 years now.
A good example, this happened yesterday. Apparently I didn't completely shut the back door. The wind blew the door enough that it just started to open. Xena was in the living room with me, which is about maybe 30 feet from the back door.
Her initial response was trotting to the kitchen doorway to see what the noise was. She was growling and huffing as she went to the door. And again, the wind made the door move. Boom! She charges straight at the door growling and barking until her nose told her no one was there.
We sleep very sound with this girl in the house.

You have to be kidding. The safety is not needed, and could be a hinderance. The biggest danger from a pump action shotgun with no round in the chamber is that the invader would hear you jack the shell and have time to react. But, I'm guessing iamwhatiseem is happy with the trade off that the action of a pump shotgun is a familiar sound that a home invader would listen for.
Exactly.
If someone breaks in, I will not be fully awake... and my adrenaline will be pumping. Making my reflexes compromised.
No doubt I would be fumbling around trying to feel for the safety. Instead, all I have to do is pump. That motion takes no skill and the pump handle is obviously large.
And you bet, armed or not armed... an intruder hears that all to familiar shotgun jack sound and they will head for the nearest exit.

That is the GSD in her.
WHat I like about Xena that is different than any other breed I have owned - is they don't run away from danger and bark. They run straight at the source. They are known for their bravery, which is exactly why the military has used them for nearly 100 years now.
A good example, this happened yesterday. Apparently I didn't completely shut the back door. The wind blew the door enough that it just started to open. Xena was in the living room with me, which is about maybe 30 feet from the back door.
Her initial response was trotting to the kitchen doorway to see what the noise was. She was growling and huffing as she went to the door. And again, the wind made the door move. Boom! She charges straight at the door growling and barking until her nose told her no one was there.
We sleep very sound with this girl in the house.
Yup, we have one too. She is awesome. I only worry when she goes after bears. She is absolutely fearless.

Yup, we have one too. She is awesome. I only worry when she goes after bears. She is absolutely fearless.
Here is our girl on the back patio... never stops watching... always looking.

xena.jpg

Source: https://bjs.ojp.gov/content/pub/ascii/vdhb.txt

The numbers change but in the hundreds of thousands. It is not all that rare. So isn't a pistol enough? Well not unless you are an expert with a pistol. What the TV bang-bang doesn't tell you is it is actually kinda hard to hit something with a pistol except at short range. They bounce and jerk a lot unless, again, you are an expert. You can't get the same grip and aim on a pistol as you can on a rifle. Well there's hunting rifles! But many women, especially small or thin ones, are all but knocked on their rears from the recoil of a 30-30 deer rifle. They are made to take down large animals, not self defense. And you don't have that many rounds. Often one between reload with a bolt action.

Nope. What you want is an AR, light, accurate, little recoil, and the little lady can shoot it just fine. Also a pistol round, say 9mm, might not stop a large, drug-numbed attacker. But that AR sure will. A quarter million violent home invasions a year. That is not a little number. And now they want to take them away? I say naw sir. Nope. No way.

There are Less than 400 gun murders a year with assault rifles, 14,000 with handguns. Liberals are you listening to logic and reason here? Less than 400 vs. 14,000 with handguns. This is not about saving lives, or handguns would be your target.

We favor shotguns for home defense.

If we ever have to use them, the purpose will be to stop someone, not to be dainty about it

A six inch spread sounds about right

Forum List

Back