DOJ: About 250,000 Violent Home Invasions per Year, Would You Rather Have a Pistol or an AR?

You have to be kidding. The safety is not needed, and could be a hinderance. The biggest danger from a pump action shotgun with no round in the chamber is that the invader would hear you jack the shell and have time to react. But, I'm guessing iamwhatiseem is happy with the trade off that the action of a pump shotgun is a familiar sound that a home invader would listen for.
Racking a round betrays your location.

Depends.

If they are inside my home it's the pistol. I can keep it close to my body, easier to manage with doorways and corners, faster target acquisition in confined areas, less likely to be taken away, accuracy is less of a factor in close quarters, and you don't have a 3ft barrel sticking out to give up your position.

Unless there are multiple intruders then it's the shotgun with buckshot because then acquiring targets is less of an issue and one good shot will do the job before switching to the next target.

But if it spills outside then it's the AR-15.

Shotgun works for me.

Some of us can walk and chew gum. ;)
Yeah, that's what my neighbor thought! He carried his gun in his pocket when he was not in his vehicle. He went to shut the door to his tractor from his company parked in his driveway. The door shut and suddenly he felt a searing pain in his leg. His gun with a round in the chamber and no safety went off, and shot himself!

Yeah, that's what my neighbor thought! He carried his gun in his pocket when he was not in his vehicle. He went to shut the door to his tractor from his company parked in his driveway. The door shut and suddenly he felt a searing pain in his leg. His gun with a round in the chamber and no safety went off, and shot himself!
He should have been carrying in a good holster.

I only keep a round in the chamber at my bedside. When I carry the chamber is empty.

What I recommend is neither.

For serious home defense I always recommend a high quality Pistol Caliber Carbine or shotgun.

Even a light load from a 20,28, or .410g shotgun is a very handy man stopper especially when loaded with the proper ammunition.

In most cases rifles pose more risk of collateral casualties from over penetration than I'm comfortable with particularly in an urban or suburban environment.
I'm looking at the ruger 9mm w collapsible stock.

That's what he told you. Quality guns don't go off like that.

Source: https://bjs.ojp.gov/content/pub/ascii/vdhb.txt

The numbers change but in the hundreds of thousands. It is not all that rare. So isn't a pistol enough? Well not unless you are an expert with a pistol. What the TV bang-bang doesn't tell you is it is actually kinda hard to hit something with a pistol except at short range. They bounce and jerk a lot unless, again, you are an expert. You can't get the same grip and aim on a pistol as you can on a rifle. Well there's hunting rifles! But many women, especially small or thin ones, are all but knocked on their rears from the recoil of a 30-30 deer rifle. They are made to take down large animals, not self defense. And you don't have that many rounds. Often one between reload with a bolt action.

Nope. What you want is an AR, light, accurate, little recoil, and the little lady can shoot it just fine. Also a pistol round, say 9mm, might not stop a large, drug-numbed attacker. But that AR sure will. A quarter million violent home invasions a year. That is not a little number. And now they want to take them away? I say naw sir. Nope. No way.

There are Less than 400 gun murders a year with assault rifles, 14,000 with handguns. Liberals are you listening to logic and reason here? Less than 400 vs. 14,000 with handguns. This is not about saving lives, or handguns would be your target.

It all depends on the situation....where you live, what kind of home you have......having the option to have one or the other is the better choice...

A good look at the AR-15 for home defense...

Why not? Ballistically it is safer than a 9mm. The 5.56 will break up and die in the wall if you miss, the 9mm will punch a hole and hit whatever is on the other side.

I'm not a gun person but from what I have seen of dry wall tests, that may not be true........someone else will have to chime in.....I'm not that into the details on guns...

I'm not a gun person but from what I have seen of dry wall tests, that may not be true........someone else will have to chime in.....I'm not that into the details on guns...

I have shot hundreds of rounds into drywall. The 5.56 loses velocity very quickly upon impact. So punches a hole through the first layer, dies in the 2nd.

Source: https://bjs.ojp.gov/content/pub/ascii/vdhb.txt

The numbers change but in the hundreds of thousands. It is not all that rare. So isn't a pistol enough? Well not unless you are an expert with a pistol. What the TV bang-bang doesn't tell you is it is actually kinda hard to hit something with a pistol except at short range. They bounce and jerk a lot unless, again, you are an expert. You can't get the same grip and aim on a pistol as you can on a rifle. Well there's hunting rifles! But many women, especially small or thin ones, are all but knocked on their rears from the recoil of a 30-30 deer rifle. They are made to take down large animals, not self defense. And you don't have that many rounds. Often one between reload with a bolt action.

Nope. What you want is an AR, light, accurate, little recoil, and the little lady can shoot it just fine. Also a pistol round, say 9mm, might not stop a large, drug-numbed attacker. But that AR sure will. A quarter million violent home invasions a year. That is not a little number. And now they want to take them away? I say naw sir. Nope. No way.

There are Less than 400 gun murders a year with assault rifles, 14,000 with handguns. Liberals are you listening to logic and reason here? Less than 400 vs. 14,000 with handguns. This is not about saving lives, or handguns would be your target.
For me it depends on the situation.

For a while I lived in a big old home that was once a hotel along with my daughter, her husband and two grandchildren. We had several renters living with us and two were cops. They were changing shifts every couple weeks.

I’m a vampire so I don’t usually go to sleep before the sun comes up. I worked on the graveyard shift for 30 years and I am still a creature of the night even though I am retired.

Occasionally I would hear an odd noise and decide to check it out. I would just drop my snub nosed .38 revolver into the pocket of my cargo shorts and leave my room to check the situation out with my hand on the snub nosed revolver. Never did encounter anything bad but I also never scared the crap out of anybody like I would have with an AR-15 or a shotgun.

Now I am living alone in a house and If I hear something really odd I may just decide to grab my double barreled coach gun, crouch down behind the bed and point the shotgun at the door. If someone forces the door open I should have time to verify they have no right to be in my house before I give them both barrels.

For me it depends on the situation.

For a while I lived in a big old home that was once a hotel along with my daughter, her husband and two grandchildren. We had several renters living with us and two were cops. They were changing shifts every couple weeks.

I’m a vampire so I don’t usually go to sleep before the sun comes up. I worked on the graveyard shift for 30 years and I am still a creature of the night even though I am retired.

Occasionally I would hear an odd noise and decide to check it out. I would just drop my snub nosed .38 revolver into the pocket of my cargo shorts and leave my room to check the situation out with my hand on the snub nosed revolver. Never did encounter anything bad but I also never scared the crap out of anybody like I would have with an AR-15 or a shotgun.

Now I am living alone in a house and If I hear something really odd I may just decide to grab my double barreled coach gun, crouch down behind the bed and point the shotgun at the door. If someone forces the door open I should have time to verify they have no right to be in my house before I give them both barrels.

If you do not have a security door and protective film on your glass windows, then you only have 2-3 seconds to grab your gun to arm yourself.

If you do not have a security door and protective film on your glass windows, then you only have 2-3 seconds to grab your gun to arm yourself.
True if the intruder is braking down my bedroom door. Not quite true if he is making noises in the kitchen.

Forum List

Back