DOJ: About 250,000 Violent Home Invasions per Year, Would You Rather Have a Pistol or an AR?

munkle

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2012
Source: https://bjs.ojp.gov/content/pub/ascii/vdhb.txt

The numbers change but in the hundreds of thousands. It is not all that rare. So isn't a pistol enough? Well not unless you are an expert with a pistol. What the TV bang-bang doesn't tell you is it is actually kinda hard to hit something with a pistol except at short range. They bounce and jerk a lot unless, again, you are an expert. You can't get the same grip and aim on a pistol as you can on a rifle. Well there's hunting rifles! But many women, especially small or thin ones, are all but knocked on their rears from the recoil of a 30-30 deer rifle. They are made to take down large animals, not self defense. And you don't have that many rounds. Often one between reload with a bolt action.

Nope. What you want is an AR, light, accurate, little recoil, and the little lady can shoot it just fine. Also a pistol round, say 9mm, might not stop a large, drug-numbed attacker. But that AR sure will. A quarter million violent home invasions a year. That is not a little number. And now they want to take them away? I say naw sir. Nope. No way.

There are Less than 400 gun murders a year with assault rifles, 14,000 with handguns. Liberals are you listening to logic and reason here? Less than 400 vs. 14,000 with handguns. This is not about saving lives, or handguns would be your target.

Last edited:
1m3fmy.jpg

In case you are wondering the pic is real.....Four perps broke into a home someplace in South America and the homeowner put all four down with a Mossberg 590 and 00 Buck. In the thread on another forum years ago when it happened members commented on how nice the lawn was. ;)

I prefer a 12 ga with #4 buckshot......21 pellets of .24 caliber kickass per round.

Last edited:
Wow, that is a hell of a lot of violent home invasions. It has to be one of the most frightening experiences.

I would agree that access to arms of some kind would be greatly welcome under such a circumstance.

View attachment 655239

In case you are wondering the pic is real.....Four perps broke into a home someplace in South America and the homeowner put all four down with a Mossberg 590 and 00 Buck. In the thread on another forum years ago when it happened members commented on how nice the lawn was. ;)

I prefer a 12 ga with #4 buckshot......21 pellets of .24 caliber kickass per round.
What do you think of the shorty shells?

The numbers change but in the hundreds of thousands. It is not all that rare. So isn't a pistol enough? Well not unless you are an expert with a pistol. What the TV bang-bang doesn't tell you is it is actually kinda hard to hit something with a pistol except at short range. They bounce and jerk a lot unless, again, you are an expert. You can't get the same grip and aim on a pistol as you can on a rifle. Well there's hunting rifles! But many women, especially small or thin ones, are all but knocked on their rears from the recoil of a 30-30 deer rifle. They are made to take down large animals, not self defense. And you don't have that many rounds. Often one between reload with a bolt action.

Nope. What you want is an AR, light, accurate, little recoil, and the little lady can shoot it just fine. Also a pistol round, say 9mm, might not stop a large, drug-numbed attacker. But that AR sure will. A quarter million violent home invasions a year. That is not a little number. And now they want to take them away? I say naw sir. Nope. No way.

There are Less than 400 gun murders a year with assault rifles, 14,000 with handguns. Liberals are you listening to logic and reason here? Less than 400 vs. 14,000 with handguns. This is not about saving lives, or handguns would be your target.

One also need take into consideration, regarding modern self-defense measures, the widespread easy availability of various levels of body armor when considering firearm platforms and calibers for the task. While the likelihood home invaders will be wearing heavy body armor is low, the possibility does exist and should be addressed. That being said, many factors contribute to successful self and home defense and all of them must be considered and executed under extreme stress and in the span of sometimes seconds in order to pull it off and still be standing.

Your average homeowner who purchases a firearm for home defense isn't very likely to run room clearing and dry fire exercises under duress or even come up with and rehearse 'what if' contingencies with the rest of the household. Further, lots of people tend to sleep through even serious disturbances throughout the night and often overlook or dismiss warning signs, such as little things out of place around their home or the presence of questionable strangers loitering throughout their neighborhoods.

Finally, at least where certain higher velocity AR platform calibers are concerned a well prepared and responsible homeowner should always keep in mind where his or her children are sleeping, in relation to bullet penetration, when confronting or firing at an intruder indoors. Bullet composition is key to both surviving an encounter with a home invader and ensuring the safety of those we want to protect even while in the act of protecting them.

At the end of the day the best firearm choice for home defense is the one you both know how to use and can use effectively in the heat of highly stressful moments.

All of that being said I agree with the OP regarding the potential effectiveness of AR platform rifles, carbines and pistols for home defense . . . but only after a whole host of factors have been carefully considered.

Wow, that is a hell of a lot of violent home invasions. It has to be one of the most frightening experiences.

I would agree that access to arms of some kind would be greatly welcome under such a circumstance.

Is that an easy thing to achieve in Canada at present . . . having access to firearms geared toward self-defense?

I own an AR and I would never shoot that in my house, Chuckles

I use an HK personally.

What do you think of the shorty shells?
They are pretty effective in jel tests but I don't think I'd trust my life with them due to the few pump guns that cycle them somewhat reliably.

The Mossberg adaptor works OK but I had one fall out under recoil.

The Winchester 1200/1300 pumps will cycle them with no adaptor but I've had a shell "flip" before.

I think their best use is in a double barrel coach type shotgun.....Then again you have to ask yourself "but why?"

Depends.

If they are inside my home it's the pistol. I can keep it close to my body, easier to manage with doorways and corners, faster target acquisition in confined areas, less likely to be taken away, accuracy is less of a factor in close quarters, and you don't have a 3ft barrel sticking out to give up your position.

Unless there are multiple intruders then it's the shotgun with buckshot because then acquiring targets is less of an issue and one good shot will do the job before switching to the next target.

But if it spills outside then it's the AR-15.

What I recommend is neither.

For serious home defense I always recommend a high quality Pistol Caliber Carbine or shotgun.

Even a light load from a 20,28, or .410g shotgun is a very handy man stopper especially when loaded with the proper ammunition.

In most cases rifles pose more risk of collateral casualties from over penetration than I'm comfortable with particularly in an urban or suburban environment.

They are pretty effective in jel tests but I don't think I'd trust my life with them due to the few pump guns that cycle them somewhat reliably.

The Mossberg adaptor works OK but I had one fall out under recoil.

The Winchester 1200/1300 pumps will cycle them with no adaptor but I've had a shell "flip" before.

I think their best use is in a double barrel coach type shotgun.....Then again you have to ask yourself "but why?"
Asked becaus I saw an article on a new one that has solved that. Feeds everything up to 3" no prob, even allows mixing em.

Forum List

Back