Does your religion support the death penalty?

I support the Death Penalty. I believe it is appropriate and would be more effective if we put people to death in a reasonable time and BROADCAST the executions.

If I were on a Jury that had to make that decision I would have a hard time, the evidence would have to be overwhelming.

I cannot debate "appropriate". I agree, for some crimes, it is. All the evidence we have suggests it is 100% INEFFECTIVE at deterring other death-qualified crimes. We pay, ethically, socially, economically and elsewise. The families of victims pay VERY heavy freight. The innocent but executed pay a price we should all find morally aborhent.

I just do not see how the DP can be fancied up enough to ever be worth all these costs, RGS.

There is no evidence any innocent people have been executed, so don't play that bullshit card.

I support the Death penalty and believe it is not only appropriate but needed. I am not sure why the Feds can execute in less then 5 years but some States take 20 or more. That is why there is no deterrence, because the chances are you will weasel out of it or it just won't ever happen at the State level.

The only need actually met by the DP is an emotional need some citizens feel for vengence. There is a reason the US gets slammed by Amnesty International on this issue over and over. We only decided the execution of children should be unconstitutional within the last decade or so, and even less time has passed since we agreed to forego executing the severely retarded.

Considering that the DP frustrates our need for justice and costs us an ungodly amount of money, I say we give up the idea that we are avenging angels and focus instead on public safety.

I cannot debate "appropriate". I agree, for some crimes, it is. All the evidence we have suggests it is 100% INEFFECTIVE at deterring other death-qualified crimes. We pay, ethically, socially, economically and elsewise. The families of victims pay VERY heavy freight. The innocent but executed pay a price we should all find morally aborhent.

I just do not see how the DP can be fancied up enough to ever be worth all these costs, RGS.

There is no evidence any innocent people have been executed, so don't play that bullshit card.

I support the Death penalty and believe it is not only appropriate but needed. I am not sure why the Feds can execute in less then 5 years but some States take 20 or more. That is why there is no deterrence, because the chances are you will weasel out of it or it just won't ever happen at the State level.

The only need actually met by the DP is an emotional need some citizens feel for vengence. There is a reason the US gets slammed by Amnesty International on this issue over and over. We only decided the execution of children should be unconstitutional within the last decade or so, and even less time has passed since we agreed to forego executing the severely retarded.

Considering that the DP frustrates our need for justice and costs us an ungodly amount of money, I say we give up the idea that we are avenging angels and focus instead on public safety.

Would you be opposed to hard labor LWOP?

The whole purpose of the death penalty is to remove people from the society that appears to have no chance of re-entering without causing harm to the order that is already established.

Killing murders feel good! It has the majority support. It does not matter if a religion may argue against it, killing certain individuals make governance of the flock easier for the regime. The question is "who shall we murder?"

The Koran allows for the death penalty but also its aboloshing provided that the murderer is kept from society either by exile or prison etc.

Chapter 5 tells us:

27. Recite to them the truth of the story of the two sons of Adam. Behold! they each presented a sacrifice (to Allah.: It was accepted from one, but not from the other. Said the latter: "Be sure I will slay thee." "Surely," said the former, "(Allah) doth accept of the sacrifice of those who are righteous.

28. "If thou dost stretch thy hand against me, to slay me, it is not for me to stretch my hand against thee to slay thee: for I do fear Allah, the cherisher of the worlds.

29. "For me, I intend to let thee draw on thyself my sin as well as thine, for thou wilt be among the companions of the fire, and that is the reward of those who do wrong."

30. The (selfish) soul of the other led him to the murder of his brother: he murdered him, and became (himself) one of the lost ones.

31. Then Allah sent a raven, who scratched the ground, to show him how to hide the shame of his brother. "Woe is me!" said he; "Was I not even able to be as this raven, and to hide the shame of my brother?" then he became full of regrets-

32. On that account: We ordained for the Children of Israel that if any one slew a person - unless it be for murder or for spreading mischief in the land - it would be as if he slew the whole people: and if any one saved a life, it would be as if he saved the life of the whole people. Then although there came to them Our apostles with clear signs, yet, even after that, many of them continued to commit excesses in the land.

33. The punishment of those who wage war against Allah and His Messenger, and strive with might and main for mischief through the land is: execution, or crucifixion, or the cutting off of hands and feet from opposite sides, or exile from the land: that is their disgrace in this world, and a heavy punishment is theirs in the Hereafter;

34. Except for those who repent before they fall into your power: in that case, know that Allah is Oft-forgiving, Most Merciful.

Here the Koran tells us about the story of Adam's son where one apparently killed his brother. This crime of murder therefore has been there from day one. The Koran then says that a crime like murder is as if someone killed the whole of mankind and if he saves a life it is as if he saved the whole world. I think its because if it was the other way around then none of us will be here since we are(I think) the ancestors of the surviving son. The murder of our father is like the murder of all his children and their children too. Anyways the Koran says even after that the Jews commited excesses since the Talmud spined this verse and claimed this prohibition is for Jews and not mankind but this not the point here.

Anyways we will look at what the Koran said regarding the punishment for murder:

5.33. The punishment of those who wage war against Allah and His Messenger, and strive with might and main for mischief through the land is: execution, or crucifixion, or the cutting off of hands and feet from opposite sides, or exile from the land: that is their disgrace in this world, and a heavy punishment is theirs in the Hereafter

Here the Koran gives among the punishments:

or exile from the land:

This means the Koran does allow for abolishing the death penalty. Some have looked at this verse:

2178-179. O ye who believe! the law of equality is prescribed to you in cases of murder: the free for the free, the slave for the slave, the woman for the woman. But if any remission is made by the brother of the slain, then grant any reasonable demand, and compensate him with handsome gratitude, this is a concession and a Mercy from your Lord. After this whoever exceeds the limits shall be in grave penalty. In the Law of Equality there is (saving of) Life to you, o ye men of understanding; that ye may restrain yourselves.

They then say this implied that a murderer should get death as punishment. However the verse is implying compensation since how else could you understand the verse? If a free man kills a slave then you don't kill a slave for punishment. It seems the verse is talking about equity. Anyways it also says that remission can be made and monetary compensation could be taken. I think this verse is talking about man slaughter and not murder as the verse in chapter 5 is talking.

Others have pointed to the eye for an eye verse:

5.44-48. It was We who revealed the law (to Moses): therein was guidance and light. By its standard have been judged the Jews, by the prophets who bowed (as in Islam) to Allah.s will, by the rabbis and the doctors of law: for to them was entrusted the protection of Allah.s book, and they were witnesses thereto: therefore fear not men, but fear me, and sell not my signs for a miserable price. If any do fail to judge by (the light of) what Allah hath revealed, they are (no better than) Unbelievers. We ordained therein for them: "Life for life, eye for eye, nose or nose, ear for ear, tooth for tooth, and wounds equal for equal." But if any one remits the retaliation by way of charity, it is an act of atonement for himself. And if any fail to judge by (the light of) what Allah hath revealed, they are (No better than) wrong-doers. And in their footsteps We sent Jesus the son of Mary, confirming the Law that had come before him: We sent him the Gospel: therein was guidance and light, and confirmation of the Law that had come before him: a guidance and an admonition to those who fear Allah. Let the people of the Gospel judge by what Allah hath revealed therein. If any do fail to judge by (the light of) what Allah hath revealed, they are (no better than) those who rebel. To thee We sent the Scripture in truth, confirming the scripture that came before it, and guarding it in safety: so judge between them by what Allah hath revealed, and follow not their vain desires, diverging from the Truth that hath come to thee. To each among you have we prescribed a law and an open way. If Allah had so willed, He would have made you a single people, but (His plan is) to test you in what He hath given you: so strive as in a race in all virtues. The goal of you all is to Allah. it is He that will show you the truth of the matters in which ye dispute;

This is talking about what was revealed in the Torah, anyways it also says one can remit the retaliation and seems to talk about equity once again. However murder is different in the sense that society as a whole could be threatened and even if the family pardons the murderer society would not want this person roaming the streets where he can kill again. It also says the Gospel should be followed and yet we see no communal laws laid out in the Gospel. I think the verse is talking about religious laws should be taken from the Torah, Gospel and Koran. And as I said before, the Jews left the Torah for the Talmud, the Christians left the Gospel for the trinity and Muslims left the Koran for the Hadith. Thats is what the verse was trying to warn about and not murder.

I don't think those verses are talking about murder, I think the verse I showed about the sons of Adam is talking about murder. The term "those who wage war" here means opposing and not actual fighting such as the war on drugs or war on poverty. The Koran uses a different verbal term for actual fighting. It uses "qital" and not "harb" as this verse uses. This is so since fighting would mean prisoners of war and the Koran already has ordered that prisoners should either be set free or have a ransom on them. Punishing prisoners is absolutely forbidden in the Koran.

So there is no reason why from a Koranic point of view why death penalty can not be abolished as long as the murdere is exiled from the land. Prison as we know is a form of exile from community.

Real Islam is only Koran!

Koran is peace

""So there is no reason why from a Koranic point of view why death penalty can not be abolished as long as the murdere is exiled from the land. Prison as we know is a form of exile from community.""

what complete and utter nonsense. islam is a barbaric, ignorant religion.

""The punishment of those who wage war against Allah and His apostle and strive to make mischief in the land is only this, that they should be killed or crucified or their hands and their feet should be cut off on opposite sides of their body... so know that Allah is Forgiving, Merciful. (Surah al-Mā’ida 5:33-34)" "

for making mischief in the land! that could be anything that the state or the religious authorities dont like. and, in the case of islamic authorities, they dont like a lot.

it is an uncivilized and barbaric religion that most of the world has long outgrown. even islamic countries shy away from implementing shariah law. surely one of the nastiest legal systems ever devised by man, never mind by a god!

Sharia Law is the perfect legal system for mankind to follow.

Ya right, no rights for women, whippings, stonings, hand chopping... and you know what the real problem is? A lot of muslim douchers agree with you

There is a lot of dogma that I disagree with. It doesn't interfere with my faith.

I would expect all organized religions to oppose abortion too; but many practicing people do not. People make their own peace with God. Go figure.

I'm agnostic and I support the death penalty. Spend the money saved on keeping guys like Tim McVeigh alive on the poor.

Each execution costs about $2 Million more than LWOP would. The death penalty does not save money.

Untrue. You know what they say about the three kinds of untruths: lies, damned lies, and statistics.

LWOP is only cheaper than the death penalty if you compare the costs of ALL LWOP cases, rather than those LWOP cases that are for equivalent categories of crime to DP cases. The numbers become quite different when you compare the costs of DP cases to situations which would reasonably replace the death penalty.

It doesn't work, kwc57. In the typical "problem case", a county has a horrifying crime and the sheriff hauls in the local mental defective and extracts a "confession". Then we go through a parody of a trial with defense counsel who might could be asleep (actual case) on drugs (actual case) missing in action (actual case) or just incompetent (many actual cases). Once the death sentence is imposed at trial, the odds of overturning it -- even with good evidence and competent appellate lawyers -- are about 1 in 250,000, so time passes, we have many meaningless appellate hearings and one day a decade or so later, we execute.

If that's justice, then I guess. Certainly is a far cry from the vigorous judicial examination and re-examination most people think goes on regarding death sentences.

This case almost matches your criteria exactly. Three of them will be tried with the death penalty, so you don't think any of these people deserve the death penalty then? They were 'hauled' in and they confessed as well, poor things were being taken advantage of I guess.

Jennifer Daugherty, Mentally Disabled Woman, Trusted Everyone, Including Her Killers - Crimesider - CBS News

They prolly deserve to die by drawing and quartering, Newby....but what exactly do you think we get from executions we could not get from LWOP?

Murderers who can't ever escape or be furloughed by liberal administrations to kill again. Can you say, "Willie Horton"?

Do you think we are better off executing some people, RGS?

I support the Death Penalty. I believe it is appropriate and would be more effective if we put people to death in a reasonable time and BROADCAST the executions.

If I were on a Jury that had to make that decision I would have a hard time, the evidence would have to be overwhelming.

ALL the evidence we have says that, huh? Then how come I can point you to seven recent studies just off the top of my head that say the exact opposite?

Timmendequas lived with two other convicted sex offenders across the street from his victim. He lured the girl into his house by offering to show her a puppy. After raping her, he slammed her head onto a dresser, put two plastic bags over her head, and strangled her to death with a belt. He moved her body to his truck, assaulting her once again before placing the body in a wooden toy chest and dumping it in nearby Mercer County Park. The next day, he confessed to investigators and led police to the site. Evidence including bloodstains, hair, and fiber samples, as well as a bite mark matching Megan Kanka's teeth on Timmendequas' hand, led to Timmendequas being found guilty of kidnapping, four counts of aggravated sexual assault, and two counts of felony murder — committing murder in the course of a felony.[2]

One month after the murder, the New Jersey General Assembly passed a series of bills proposed by Paul Kramer that would require sex offender registration, with a database tracked by the state, community notification of registered sex offenders moving into a neighborhood and life in prison without a chance of parole for those convicted of a second sexual assault. Kramer expressed incredulity at the controversy created by the bills, saying that "Megan Kanka would be alive today" if the bills he proposed had been law.[3]

Congressman Dick Zimmer stated, "I believe he is exactly the kind of predator that the legislature had in mind when it enacted the death penalty." The court sentenced Timmendequas to death, and the sentence was upheld by the New Jersey Supreme Court on appeal.[4] Timmendequas remained on New Jersey's Death Row until December 17, 2007, when the New Jersey Legislature abolished the state's death penalty. This ban resulted in Timmendequas's sentence being commuted to life in prison without parole.[5][6]
Jesse Timmendequas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

megan1_rdax_160x229.jpg

No one can tell me this monster deserves three hots and a cot.

Oh and BTW - he's white Madeline. In case you were keeping score.

The death penalty must be good, because I've yet to see anyone executed who didn't look like he was a douchebag. Everyone on death row always looks like a doucher too, they should get the line moving!

They almost all look male, black, poor and not overly bright. Your idea of who a killer is needs a bit of updating if you'd like to stay safe.

"Almost all"? Your generalizations are getting worse.

It's not surprising that a lot of convicted murderers look male, black, poor and dumb. It'd be because a lot of murders are committed by black, poor, dumb men. Are we racist for not throwing some completely innocent white women onto death row just to make it look more fair?

Another white guy:

NEW HAVEN, Conn. -- Life-or-death deliberations have begun this morning for home invasion monster Steven Hayes, convicted last month for the horrific strangle and arson murders of a Connecticut nurse and her two daughters.

Jurors are deciding if Hayes, a 47-year-old crackhead and career burglar, should be sent to the death chamber for raping and strangling pediatric nurse Jennifer Hawke-Petit, 48, and for helping to literally burn alive her daughters, Hayley, 17 and Michaela, 11, who had been tied to their beds and doused with gasoline.

Jurors have been instructed to work their way through a complicated series of yes-and-no votes in weighing aggravating and mitigating factors for each of six death-penalty-eligible murder charges.

Read more: Convicted Conn. home invader Steven Hayes' life now in jury's hands - NYPOST.com[/QUOTE]

another white guy:

new haven, conn. -- life-or-death deliberations have begun this morning for home invasion monster steven hayes, convicted last month for the horrific strangle and arson murders of a connecticut nurse and her two daughters.

Jurors are deciding if hayes, a 47-year-old crackhead and career burglar, should be sent to the death chamber for raping and strangling pediatric nurse jennifer hawke-petit, 48, and for helping to literally burn alive her daughters, hayley, 17 and michaela, 11, who had been tied to their beds and doused with gasoline.

jurors have been instructed to work their way through a complicated series of yes-and-no votes in weighing aggravating and mitigating factors for each of six death-penalty-eligible murder charges.

Read more: convicted conn. Home invader steven hayes' life now in jury's hands - nypost.com
how could anyone not be for the death penalty for this piece of scum?!?! :evil:

Last edited:

Forum List

Back