Does your religion support the death penalty?

It doesn't work, kwc57. In the typical "problem case", a county has a horrifying crime and the sheriff hauls in the local mental defective and extracts a "confession". Then we go through a parody of a trial with defense counsel who might could be asleep (actual case) on drugs (actual case) missing in action (actual case) or just incompetent (many actual cases). Once the death sentence is imposed at trial, the odds of overturning it -- even with good evidence and competent appellate lawyers -- are about 1 in 250,000, so time passes, we have many meaningless appellate hearings and one day a decade or so later, we execute.

If that's justice, then I guess. Certainly is a far cry from the vigorous judicial examination and re-examination most people think goes on regarding death sentences.

This case almost matches your criteria exactly. Three of them will be tried with the death penalty, so you don't think any of these people deserve the death penalty then? They were 'hauled' in and they confessed as well, poor things were being taken advantage of I guess.

Jennifer Daugherty, Mentally Disabled Woman, Trusted Everyone, Including Her Killers - Crimesider - CBS News

They prolly deserve to die by drawing and quartering, Newby....but what exactly do you think we get from executions we could not get from LWOP?

Life without parole means they get to sit in prison, smoke, have sex, watch TV, exercise and grow fat on three meals a day with a roof over their head until they die of natural causes 50 years later. Are they in prison? Sure. Is it it's own little society they get to become a member of? Yes. Is there a chance that some celebrity or group will come to their defense because they "changed" or found religion and continually beg that they be freed? Possibly. The person(s) they murdered are deprived of any and all of those things. Killing them does two things. It deprives them of life just as they did to their victim and it ensures that THEY will never kill innocents again.

Which religions have 'an eye for an eye'? Does it relate to the death penalty? I have a friend who knows nothing about Buddhism and she mistakedly thought Buddhists were 'eye for an eye' proponents.

Which religions have 'an eye for an eye'? Does it relate to the death penalty? I have a friend who knows nothing about Buddhism and she mistakedly thought Buddhists were 'eye for an eye' proponents.
Buddhists are only proponents of the "third eye" :eusa_angel:

That's cute. It reminds me of the Firestone Theater skit, Nick Danger, Third Eye.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5XfXECpU6w"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5XfXECpU6w[/ame]

They were hilarious!

Regardless of what my religion teaches, I support the death penalty. Each case should be weighed on it's own merits. There are instances where a person's crime is bad enough that it warrants the forfeiture of their own life. Just my personal opinion. That and $4.95 will get you a cup of joe.

The Bible clearly states that a Christian is to follow the law of the Country one is in. So long as the Death penalty is legal Christians should have no problem with it.

A Government is NOT a person so the Commandments do not apply to such an entity.

Regardless of what my religion teaches, I support the death penalty. Each case should be weighed on it's own merits. There are instances where a person's crime is bad enough that it warrants the forfeiture of their own life. Just my personal opinion. That and $4.95 will get you a cup of joe.

The Bible clearly states that a Christian is to follow the law of the Country one is in. So long as the Death penalty is legal Christians should have no problem with it.

A Government is NOT a person so the Commandments do not apply to such an entity.

Do you think we are better off executing some people, RGS?

I support the Death Penalty. I believe it is appropriate and would be more effective if we put people to death in a reasonable time and BROADCAST the executions.

If I were on a Jury that had to make that decision I would have a hard time, the evidence would have to be overwhelming.

I support the Death Penalty. I believe it is appropriate and would be more effective if we put people to death in a reasonable time and BROADCAST the executions.

If I were on a Jury that had to make that decision I would have a hard time, the evidence would have to be overwhelming.

I cannot debate "appropriate". I agree, for some crimes, it is. All the evidence we have suggests it is 100% INEFFECTIVE at deterring other death-qualified crimes. We pay, ethically, socially, economically and elsewise. The families of victims pay VERY heavy freight. The innocent but executed pay a price we should all find morally aborhent.

I just do not see how the DP can be fancied up enough to ever be worth all these costs, RGS.

I cannot debate "appropriate". I agree, for some crimes, it is. All the evidence we have suggests it is 100% INEFFECTIVE at deterring other death-qualified crimes. We pay, ethically, socially, economically and elsewise. The families of victims pay VERY heavy freight. The innocent but executed pay a price we should all find morally aborhent.

I just do not see how the DP can be fancied up enough to ever be worth all these costs, RGS.

There is no evidence any innocent people have been executed, so don't play that bullshit card.

I support the Death penalty and believe it is not only appropriate but needed. I am not sure why the Feds can execute in less then 5 years but some States take 20 or more. That is why there is no deterrence, because the chances are you will weasel out of it or it just won't ever happen at the State level.

The death penalty must be good, because I've yet to see anyone executed who didn't look like he was a douchebag. Everyone on death row always looks like a doucher too, they should get the line moving!

There is no evidence any innocent people have been executed, so don't play that bullshit card.

I support the Death penalty and believe it is not only appropriate but needed. I am not sure why the Feds can execute in less then 5 years but some States take 20 or more. That is why there is no deterrence, because the chances are you will weasel out of it or it just won't ever happen at the State level.

You're playing the 'bullshit card', if you think every mistake has been caught before someone was executed. That defies logic, considering all that have been released.

Do you support the death penalty for religious reasons? If so, what tenet of your religion condemns others to death?

American's like speedy revenge.

McVeigh was executed rather quickly after his trial.

I don't believe I heard anyone saying they wanted him to receive a life sentence.

If anyone said it, it was drowned out.

The death penalty must be good, because I've yet to see anyone executed who didn't look like he was a douchebag. Everyone on death row always looks like a doucher too, they should get the line moving!

They almost all look male, black, poor and not overly bright. Your idea of who a killer is needs a bit of updating if you'd like to stay safe.

Forum List

Back