Does your religion support the death penalty?

Christianity supports the death penalty in Romans 3:1-5
How do you get that Christianity supports the Death Penalty out of these New Testament verses?? :doubt:

Romans 3:1-5

1 So, do Jews have anything that other people do not have? Is there any- thing special about being circumcised? 2 Yes, of course, there is in every way. The most important thing is this: God trusted the Jews with his teachings. 3 If some Jews were not faithful to him, will that stop God from doing what he promised? 4 No! God will continue to be true even when every person is false. As the Scriptures say: "So you will be shown to be right when you speak, and you will win your case." 5 When we do wrong, that shows more clearly that God is right. So can we say that God is wrong to punish us?

Mistake. I meant Romans 13:1-5. You should have known that since you're a world class bible scholar.
Romans 13:1-5 only supports the death penalty "if" you live in a state that has the death penalty.

As some states do not have the death penalty.

The verse's just say a Christian must obey the government in these matters.

To say that these verse's support the death penalty is somewhat misleading

Romans 13:1-5

1 All of you must yield to the government rulers. No one rules unless God has given him the power to rule, and no one rules now without that power from God. 2 So those who are against the government are really against what God has commanded. And they will bring punishment on themselves. 3 Those who do right do not have to fear the rulers; only those who do wrong fear them. Do you want to be unafraid of the rulers? Then do what is right, and they will praise you. 4 The ruler is God's servant to help you. But if you do wrong, then be afraid. He has the power to punish; he is God's servant to punish those who do wrong. 5 So you must yield to the government, not only because you might be punished, but because you know it is right.

Death penalty for murderers is necessary in a society

Nope.

It's certainly not necessary to remove them as a threat from society.

And it's certainly not necessary money-wise.

We do it because we want to.

Why don't you go tell the woman Willie Horton raped repeatedly while on his furlough how unnecessary the death penalty is to remove convicted murderers as a threat to society? Or tell her boyfriend that Horton, bound, gagged, pistol-whipped, and forced to listen to rape? I'm sure they'd be fascinated to hear how a sentence of life without parole is enough to remove a convicted murderer as a threat to society.

Life in prison, no parole possibly solitary confinement. Why wouldn't that be enough to keep someone away?

Nope.

It's certainly not necessary to remove them as a threat from society.

And it's certainly not necessary money-wise.

We do it because we want to.

Why don't you go tell the woman Willie Horton raped repeatedly while on his furlough how unnecessary the death penalty is to remove convicted murderers as a threat to society? Or tell her boyfriend that Horton, bound, gagged, pistol-whipped, and forced to listen to rape? I'm sure they'd be fascinated to hear how a sentence of life without parole is enough to remove a convicted murderer as a threat to society.

Life in prison, no parole possibly solitary confinement. Why wouldn't that be enough to keep someone away?

It is enough. However then the question is whats the point of spending someone's life in prison? Some might say he might as well die.

But at least from a Koranic point of view there is nothing wrong with exiling someone from the community. Whether that can be for life is uncertain.

There are some people here who do not understand what is a Koranist. They got us mixed up with Sunni/Shia kinds. Plus some here are Neocons. They think its about how some Muslims "interpret" the Koran that leads to acts of terrorism. These are the guys who tell us "they hate us because of our freedoms". Ron Paul said it right when he said "they attacks us here because we are over there". .He is no Neocon

Anyways Bin Laden relies on the concept of tatassur invented by the 13th centruy cleric Ibn Thaymiya. The Wahhabis absolutely worship Ibn Thaymiya. The Neocons absolutely worship Leon Trotsky.

Mistake. I meant Romans 13:1-5. You should have known that since you're a world class bible scholar.
Just trying to keep you honest.

And yes, I do know the Bible inside and out from my years of teaching it and study. :cool:

Oh yes. I can tell. We all can tell. You're a great scholar, no doubt.

As far as being honest. I made a typo. There was nothing at all dishonest about that. If you're that desparate to make some points then find a little kid and beat him at checkers.

Last edited:
How do you get that Christianity supports the Death Penalty out of these New Testament verses?? :doubt:

Romans 3:1-5

1 So, do Jews have anything that other people do not have? Is there any- thing special about being circumcised? 2 Yes, of course, there is in every way. The most important thing is this: God trusted the Jews with his teachings. 3 If some Jews were not faithful to him, will that stop God from doing what he promised? 4 No! God will continue to be true even when every person is false. As the Scriptures say: "So you will be shown to be right when you speak, and you will win your case." 5 When we do wrong, that shows more clearly that God is right. So can we say that God is wrong to punish us?

Romans 13:1-5 only supports the death penalty "if" you live in a state that has the death penalty.

1 All of you must yield to the government rulers. No one rules unless God has given him the power to rule, and no one rules now without that power from God. 2 So those who are against the government are really against what God has commanded. And they will bring punishment on themselves. 3 Those who do right do not have to fear the rulers; only those who do wrong fear them. Do you want to be unafraid of the rulers? Then do what is right, and they will praise you. 4 The ruler is God's servant to help you. But if you do wrong, then be afraid. He has the power to punish; he is God's servant to punish those who do wrong. 5 So you must yield to the government, not only because you might be punished, but because you know it is right.

What version of the scriptures is that?

Yes. In fact, God has sentenced us all to death.

Of course, He has also ensured that we will rise again because of His Son, Jesus Christ.

• Thanks
Reactions: Kat

What version of the scriptures is that?

looks like he quoted the New International version.

Here is King James, and it pretty much says the same thing....

Romans 13

1Let every soul be subject unto the higher powers. For there is no power but of God: the powers that be are ordained of God.

2Whosoever therefore resisteth the power, resisteth the ordinance of God: and they that resist shall receive to themselves damnation.

3For rulers are not a terror to good works, but to the evil. Wilt thou then not be afraid of the power? do that which is good, and thou shalt have praise of the same:

4For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain: for he is the minister of God, a revenger to execute wrath upon him that doeth evil.

5Wherefore ye must needs be subject, not only for wrath, but also for conscience sake.

6For for this cause pay ye tribute also: for they are God's ministers, attending continually upon this very thing.

7Render therefore to all their dues: tribute to whom tribute is due; custom to whom custom; fear to whom fear; honour to whom honour.

8Owe no man any thing, but to love one another: for he that loveth another hath fulfilled the law.

The question should be does their religion support the government determining who dies and who lives in capital cases that have exactly the same facts.

It certainly does.(Christainty). But I don't. I am willing to to side with the thoery that if there is no God than death is the worst possible crime against humanity. That said, it's hard not to see pedophiles, murders, and rapists get what justice most believe they deserve.

I do not think that the death penalty should be given for rapists or pedos (and murderers but I have an even bigger problem giving it to rapists and pedos).

If they're going to get the maximum penalty anyway (for their rape or molestation) then they have an incentive to kill their victims to silence witnesses (after all they all ready did something that will net them the chair they don't stand to lose anything by killing their victim and they stand to gain a lesser chance of being caught).

Define what a wise use of the death penalty would be.

Cold blooded murders, serial murders, murder for hire, murder/torture, murder/terrorism, mercenaries, corporate officers reponsible for multiple deaths through abject negligence and/or avarice (see: Warren Anderson/Bhopal India), treason, espionage resulting in the death of any human being.

My faith leaves the final judgment to God and supports equitable consequences for breaking the laws that society deems necessary to protect and defend the rights of those in a just civilization.

I couldn't serve on a jury in which a verdict could result in the death penalty for most crimes. I think Jesus was pretty clear that the old laws of an 'eye for an eye' were not sanctioned by God and needed to be redesigned.

But as some have noted, if there is no ultimate penalty, there is no incentive not to kill any witnesses. If there is no ultimate penalty, there is no incentive not to brutally torture, maim, and mutilate a victim. In my opinion there is a huge difference between the robber who shoots a victim in a moment of high stress or the violent reaction in a crime of passion and the guy who inflicts as much fear, grief, pain, and suffering upon his victim as possible. To me there is a difference between the guy who strikes and kills his neighbor in a moment of rage and the trucker who kidnapped and brutally raped a young girl, cut off her forearms, and left her naked in the middle of the highway to bleed to death or be struck by traffic. (She survived. I hope he didn't.)

So while my relgion does not take a position on this, my faith does permit me to support the death penalty in those extreme cases

Last edited:
My faith leaves the final judgment to God and supports equitable consequences for breaking the laws that society deems necessary to protect and defend the rights of those in a just civilization.

I couldn't serve on a jury in which a verdict could result in the death penalty for most crimes. I think Jesus was pretty clear that the old laws of an 'eye for an eye' were not sanctioned by God and needed to be redesigned.

But as some have noted, if there is no ultimate penalty, there is no incentive not to kill any witnesses. If there is no ultimate penalty, there is no incentive not to brutally torture, maim, and mutilate a victim. In my opinion there is a huge difference between the robber who shoots a victim in a moment of high stress or the violent reaction in a crime of passion and the guy who inflicts as much fear, grief, pain, and suffering upon his victim as possible. To me there is a difference between the guy who strikes and kills his neighbor in a moment of rage and the trucker who kidnapped and brutally raped a young girl, but off her forearms, and left her naked in the middle of the highway to bleed to death or be struck by traffic. (She survived. I hope he didn't.)

So while my relgion does not take a position on this, my faith does permit me to support the death penalty in those extreme cases

Well said!

For many of the religious, an example of the the very first murder on this Earth was Cain killing Able....

God allowed Cain to live, and did not have him killed for killing his brother Able....

but he still punished Cain, and Cain had to live with the guilt of what he had done, for the rest of his natural life.

Forum List

Back