Does your religion support the death penalty?

Do you think we are better off executing some people, RGS?

I support the Death Penalty. I believe it is appropriate and would be more effective if we put people to death in a reasonable time and BROADCAST the executions.

If I were on a Jury that had to make that decision I would have a hard time, the evidence would have to be overwhelming.

I cannot debate "appropriate". I agree, for some crimes, it is. All the evidence we have suggests it is 100% INEFFECTIVE at deterring other death-qualified crimes. We pay, ethically, socially, economically and elsewise. The families of victims pay VERY heavy freight. The innocent but executed pay a price we should all find morally aborhent.

I just do not see how the DP can be fancied up enough to ever be worth all these costs, RGS.

It's not really about deterrence, the type of people who commit crimes that get the death penalty don't care about deterrence. It's about public safety and it's about justice.

And how do you come to the conclusion that the family of the victims pay a heavy freight? What do you mean by that? The girl that was murdered in the story that I linked was my niece, and I can assure you that her family will be very happy to see them sentenced to death. The trails are no shorter, you still have to sit and listen to the horror of what your loved one had to endure regardless of whether they get the death penalty or LWOP. I can assure you the freight paid comes long before the actual sentence gets delivered, whether it be death or LWOP.

It's also about plea bargaining. A useful chip when negotiating a guilty plea. Very useful.

One of the six testified this past Monday against the other 5, since supposedly all he did was watch, but in order to get his testimony they're letting him off easier, which is bullshit.

I'm with you sunni man.
I believe in an eye for and eye justice.

In this scums case.

They should tie him up and let the victims family pour gasoline on him and be given a box of matches. :evil:

eye for an eye? Ok, so carpet kissers blow up the WTC, so we should retaliate by nuking the whole middle east. Might as well do it now, we'll EVENTUALLY have to do it anyways.

I'm with you sunni man.
I believe in an eye for and eye justice.

In this scums case.

They should tie him up and let the victims family pour gasoline on him and be given a box of matches. :evil:

eye for an eye? Ok, so carpet kissers blow up the WTC, so we should retaliate by nuking the whole middle east. Might as well do it now, we'll EVENTUALLY have to do it anyways.

That idea for retaliation is stupid on many levels.

I support the Death Penalty. I believe it is appropriate and would be more effective if we put people to death in a reasonable time and BROADCAST the executions.

If I were on a Jury that had to make that decision I would have a hard time, the evidence would have to be overwhelming.

I cannot debate "appropriate". I agree, for some crimes, it is. All the evidence we have suggests it is 100% INEFFECTIVE at deterring other death-qualified crimes. We pay, ethically, socially, economically and elsewise. The families of victims pay VERY heavy freight. The innocent but executed pay a price we should all find morally aborhent.

I just do not see how the DP can be fancied up enough to ever be worth all these costs, RGS.

ALL the evidence we have says that, huh? Then how come I can point you to seven recent studies just off the top of my head that say the exact opposite?

So, where are these links Cecilie?

Timmendequas lived with two other convicted sex offenders across the street from his victim. He lured the girl into his house by offering to show her a puppy. After raping her, he slammed her head onto a dresser, put two plastic bags over her head, and strangled her to death with a belt. He moved her body to his truck, assaulting her once again before placing the body in a wooden toy chest and dumping it in nearby Mercer County Park. The next day, he confessed to investigators and led police to the site. Evidence including bloodstains, hair, and fiber samples, as well as a bite mark matching Megan Kanka's teeth on Timmendequas' hand, led to Timmendequas being found guilty of kidnapping, four counts of aggravated sexual assault, and two counts of felony murder — committing murder in the course of a felony.[2]

One month after the murder, the New Jersey General Assembly passed a series of bills proposed by Paul Kramer that would require sex offender registration, with a database tracked by the state, community notification of registered sex offenders moving into a neighborhood and life in prison without a chance of parole for those convicted of a second sexual assault. Kramer expressed incredulity at the controversy created by the bills, saying that "Megan Kanka would be alive today" if the bills he proposed had been law.[3]

Congressman Dick Zimmer stated, "I believe he is exactly the kind of predator that the legislature had in mind when it enacted the death penalty." The court sentenced Timmendequas to death, and the sentence was upheld by the New Jersey Supreme Court on appeal.[4] Timmendequas remained on New Jersey's Death Row until December 17, 2007, when the New Jersey Legislature abolished the state's death penalty. This ban resulted in Timmendequas's sentence being commuted to life in prison without parole.[5][6]
Jesse Timmendequas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

megan1_rdax_160x229.jpg

No one can tell me this monster deserves three hots and a cot.

Oh and BTW - he's white Madeline. In case you were keeping score.

No one has to convince me some people need killing, chanel. I was in Florida when Ted Bundy was executed, and when Oba Chandler was executed. I have watched Charles Manson and others live out their lives and cause further damage, and I have no disagreement with the DP in some cases BUT........

I just do not think it can ever be made "fair" and the carrying costs to society are far too high. It's a satisfaction we take at the expense of victims' families and innocents on death row, etc. and I oppose how it really operates on all affected in the real world.

The death penalty must be good, because I've yet to see anyone executed who didn't look like he was a douchebag. Everyone on death row always looks like a doucher too, they should get the line moving!

They almost all look male, black, poor and not overly bright. Your idea of who a killer is needs a bit of updating if you'd like to stay safe.

"Almost all"? Your generalizations are getting worse.

It's not surprising that a lot of convicted murderers look male, black, poor and dumb. It'd be because a lot of murders are committed by black, poor, dumb men. Are we racist for not throwing some completely innocent white women onto death row just to make it look more fair?

Education as a predictor:

Who Will Die?: Computer Predicts Which Death Row Inmates Will Be Executed: Scientific American

Race as a predictor:

Race of Death Row Inmates Executed Since 1976 | Death Penalty Information Center

Gender and Race as predictors:

Gender and Racial Statics of Death Row Offenders

Income as a predictor:

Does a person's income level affect the likelihood of him/her receiving the death penalty? - Death Penalty - ProCon.org

ALL the evidence we have says that, huh? Then how come I can point you to seven recent studies just off the top of my head that say the exact opposite?

So, where are these links Cecilie?

Shockingly, not all people get all of their information from the Interwebs. Some people still use this archaic system known as "print media". I can give you the bibliography citations, if you really want them.

Timmendequas lived with two other convicted sex offenders across the street from his victim. He lured the girl into his house by offering to show her a puppy. After raping her, he slammed her head onto a dresser, put two plastic bags over her head, and strangled her to death with a belt. He moved her body to his truck, assaulting her once again before placing the body in a wooden toy chest and dumping it in nearby Mercer County Park. The next day, he confessed to investigators and led police to the site. Evidence including bloodstains, hair, and fiber samples, as well as a bite mark matching Megan Kanka's teeth on Timmendequas' hand, led to Timmendequas being found guilty of kidnapping, four counts of aggravated sexual assault, and two counts of felony murder — committing murder in the course of a felony.[2]

One month after the murder, the New Jersey General Assembly passed a series of bills proposed by Paul Kramer that would require sex offender registration, with a database tracked by the state, community notification of registered sex offenders moving into a neighborhood and life in prison without a chance of parole for those convicted of a second sexual assault. Kramer expressed incredulity at the controversy created by the bills, saying that "Megan Kanka would be alive today" if the bills he proposed had been law.[3]

Congressman Dick Zimmer stated, "I believe he is exactly the kind of predator that the legislature had in mind when it enacted the death penalty." The court sentenced Timmendequas to death, and the sentence was upheld by the New Jersey Supreme Court on appeal.[4] Timmendequas remained on New Jersey's Death Row until December 17, 2007, when the New Jersey Legislature abolished the state's death penalty. This ban resulted in Timmendequas's sentence being commuted to life in prison without parole.[5][6]
Jesse Timmendequas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

megan1_rdax_160x229.jpg

No one can tell me this monster deserves three hots and a cot.

Oh and BTW - he's white Madeline. In case you were keeping score.

No one has to convince me some people need killing, chanel. I was in Florida when Ted Bundy was executed, and when Oba Chandler was executed. I have watched Charles Manson and others live out their lives and cause further damage, and I have no disagreement with the DP in some cases BUT........

I just do not think it can ever be made "fair" and the carrying costs to society are far too high. It's a satisfaction we take at the expense of victims' families and innocents on death row, etc. and I oppose how it really operates on all affected in the real world.

And since "fair" is an utterly subjective, meaningless kindergarten word, what definition are we using for it today?

""So there is no reason why from a Koranic point of view why death penalty can not be abolished as long as the murdere is exiled from the land. Prison as we know is a form of exile from community.""

what complete and utter nonsense. islam is a barbaric, ignorant religion.

""The punishment of those who wage war against Allah and His apostle and strive to make mischief in the land is only this, that they should be killed or crucified or their hands and their feet should be cut off on opposite sides of their body... so know that Allah is Forgiving, Merciful. (Surah al-Mā’ida 5:33-34)" "

for making mischief in the land! that could be anything that the state or the religious authorities dont like. and, in the case of islamic authorities, they dont like a lot.

it is an uncivilized and barbaric religion that most of the world has long outgrown. even islamic countries shy away from implementing shariah law. surely one of the nastiest legal systems ever devised by man, never mind by a god!

There is nothing called "Shariah Law" in the Koran. And mischief in the land is already explained in the Koran what it is.

28.4. Truly Pharaoh elated himself in the land and broke up its people into sections, depressing a small group among them: their sons he slew, but he kept alive their females: for he was indeed a maker of mischief

2.30. Behold, thy Lord said to the angels: "I will create a vicegerent on earth." They said: "Wilt Thou place therein one who will make mischief therein and shed blood?- whilst we do celebrate Thy praises and glorify Thy holy (name)?" He said: "I know what ye know not

8.73. The Unbelievers are protectors, one of another: Unless ye do this, (protect each other), there would be tumult and oppression on earth, and great mischief

11.116-117. Why were there not, among the generations before you, persons possessed of balanced good sense, prohibiting (men) from mischief in the earth - except a few among them whom We saved (from harm)? But the wrong-doers pursued the enjoyment of the good things of life which were given them, and persisted in sin. Nor would thy Lord be the One to destroy communities for a single wrong- doing, if its members were likely to mend

28.77. "But seek, with the (wealth) which Allah has bestowed on thee, the Home of the Hereafter, nor forget thy portion in this world: but do thou good, as Allah has been good to thee, and seek not (occasions for) mischief in the land: for Allah loves not those who do mischief."

40.26. Said Pharaoh: "Leave me to slay Moses; and let him call on his Lord! What I fear is lest he should change your religion, or lest he should cause mischief to appear in the land!"

30.41. Mischief has appeared on land and sea because of (the meed) that the hands of men have earned, that ((Allah)) may give them a taste of some of their deeds: in order that they may turn back (from Evil).

89.113. And with Pharaoh, lord of stakes? (All) these transgressed beyond bounds in the lands, And heaped therein mischief (on mischief). Therefore did thy Lord pour on them a scourge of diverse chastisements

In all these verses, mischief or "fasad" as it is used in the Koran, shows some form of violence and slaying and shedding of blood. Its not like anybody can interpret it anyway they like.

You also failed to bring forth your evidence from the Koran to show that it is barbaric and oppressive as you say. You talk like its a matter of fact.

I let the verses of the Koran do the talking. If you need to know something you can ask.

As far as the whole worl left it and outgrown it, I am not sure what you mean. But by my last look, it seems like a very violent place still. Which is why the angels objected when God created man.

2.30. Behold, thy Lord said to the angels: "I will create a vicegerent on earth." They said: "Wilt Thou place therein one who will make mischief therein and shed blood?- whilst we do celebrate Thy praises and glorify Thy holy (name)?" He said: "I know what ye know not

Later the Koran tells us that God showed Adam the names of things(language maybe) and the angels realized that God had a plan.

Finally, are you saying my interpretation of the Koran is not right or are you saying something else?

Death penalty for murderers is necessary in a society

Nope.

It's certainly not necessary to remove them as a threat from society.

And it's certainly not necessary money-wise.

We do it because we want to.

Why don't you go tell the woman Willie Horton raped repeatedly while on his furlough how unnecessary the death penalty is to remove convicted murderers as a threat to society? Or tell her boyfriend that Horton, bound, gagged, pistol-whipped, and forced to listen to rape? I'm sure they'd be fascinated to hear how a sentence of life without parole is enough to remove a convicted murderer as a threat to society.

Christianity supports the death penalty in Romans 3:1-5
How do you get that Christianity supports the Death Penalty out of these New Testament verses?? :doubt:

Romans 3:1-5

1 So, do Jews have anything that other people do not have? Is there any- thing special about being circumcised? 2 Yes, of course, there is in every way. The most important thing is this: God trusted the Jews with his teachings. 3 If some Jews were not faithful to him, will that stop God from doing what he promised? 4 No! God will continue to be true even when every person is false. As the Scriptures say: "So you will be shown to be right when you speak, and you will win your case." 5 When we do wrong, that shows more clearly that God is right. So can we say that God is wrong to punish us?

Christianity supports the death penalty in Romans 3:1-5
How do you get that Christianity supports the Death Penalty out of these New Testament verses?? :doubt:

Romans 3:1-5

1 So, do Jews have anything that other people do not have? Is there any- thing special about being circumcised? 2 Yes, of course, there is in every way. The most important thing is this: God trusted the Jews with his teachings. 3 If some Jews were not faithful to him, will that stop God from doing what he promised? 4 No! God will continue to be true even when every person is false. As the Scriptures say: "So you will be shown to be right when you speak, and you will win your case." 5 When we do wrong, that shows more clearly that God is right. So can we say that God is wrong to punish us?

Mistake. I meant Romans 13:1-5. You should have known that since you're a world class bible scholar.

Forum List

Back