Does your religion support the death penalty?

• Banned
I doubt the modern Christian Church engages in stoning adulterers to death.

The Buddhist Peace Fellowship, a California-based Buddhist social activist organization, wrote the following in an Oct. 2006 article posted to its website, titled "Buddhism and the Death Penalty":

"As Engaged Buddhists, we believe that social and personal transformation are always possible, and that even wounded people can change contribute to life...

We believe that capital punishment not only fails to serve as deterrence to violence and murder, but that it nourishes the seeds of violence that exist within each of us.

We believe that there is no fair or practical way to arrive at a sentence of death...

To continue with capital punishment in its present state means that more innocent people are bound to die."

Oct. 2006 - Buddhist Peace Fellowship (BPF)
Does Buddhism support the death penalty? - Death Penalty - ProCon.org

as maddie said, the Catholic Church in the USA does not support our death penalty laws in the various states that have them.

• Banned
Two of our major Buddhist saints, Angulimala and Milarepa were murderers and they turned their lives around and became fully enlightened, and ended up helping thousands and thousands of people.

as maddie said, the Catholic Church in the USA does not support our death penalty laws in the various states that have them.

Thanks Care and Maddie,

It's good to know whe is a ally in this issue.

"Ally" might be putting it a bit strongly. When's the last time you saw the RCC pour millions into an ad campaign to repeal the death penalty?

Thanks Care and Maddie,

It's good to know whe is a ally in this issue.

"Ally" might be putting it a bit strongly. When's the last time you saw the RCC pour millions into an ad campaign to repeal the death penalty?

I can't think of any group, religious or otherwise, who's put money into an anti-capital punishment drive.

I write to prisoners through the Prison Dharma Project. I'm seeing these men change over time.

I'm agnostic and I support the death penalty. Spend the money saved on keeping guys like Tim McVeigh alive on the poor.

Regardless of what my religion teaches, I support the death penalty. Each case should be weighed on it's own merits. There are instances where a person's crime is bad enough that it warrants the forfeiture of their own life. Just my personal opinion. That and $4.95 will get you a cup of joe.

Last edited:
Christians were on the front lines of the civil rights and social justice movements from the outset. They were getting their skulls cracked and arrested as much or more than anyone.

Nobody was yipping about separation of church and state back then.

Except racists like SCOTUS Justice Hugo Black.

My state of Texas has the death penalty.

They run it like an assembly line at a factory.

Commit murder and you forfeit "your" life. :thup:

What's the death penalty in Islam? You get stuffed up a camel's arse?

Forum List

Back