Does your religion support the death penalty?

Regardless of what my religion teaches, I support the death penalty. Each case should be weighed on it's own merits. There are instances where a person's crime is bad enough that it warrants the forfeiture of their own life. Just my personal opinion. That and $4.95 will get you a cup of joe.

There are certainly people whose deaths I would welcome, even help to carry out. But in most states with an active death penalty, there are men and women on death row with very questionable convictions, as well as plenty of garden variety murderers who just had shitty defense lawyers.

It is applied too haphazardly and since I see no pay off, I support repeal.

My state of Texas has the death penalty.

They run it like an assembly line at a factory.

Commit murder and you forfeit "your" life. :thup:

Your state does not allow defense counsel to submit proof of actual innocence after the initial appeal...only several days after the conviction is rendered. Not years, days.

Sound like due process? Not to me...where's the social benefit from executing the innocent?

Regardless of what my religion teaches, I support the death penalty. Each case should be weighed on it's own merits. There are instances where a person's crime is bad enough that it warrants the forfeiture of their own life. Just my personal opinion. That and $4.95 will get you a cup of joe.

There are certainly people whose deaths I would welcome, even help to carry out. But in most states with an active death penalty, there are men and women on death row with very questionable convictions, as well as plenty of garden variety murderers who just had shitty defense lawyers.

Some states will only give out the death penalty if there is an eye witness or a confession.

That is a good law.

I am against the death penalty being given out in cases based only on circumstantial evidence or where the victims body is never found.

Your state does not allow defense counsel to submit proof of actual innocence after the initial appeal...only several days after the conviction is rendered. Not years, days.

Sound like due process? Not to me...where's the social benefit from executing the innocent?
I agree; that is wrong and needs to be changed.

I agree; that is wrong and needs to be changed.

Texas has carpet kissers? WOW!

That is why there is a lengthy appeals process. Todays technology is helping to weed out the very few who were wrongly convicted.

That is why there is a lengthy appeals process. Todays technology is helping to weed out the very few who were wrongly convicted.

It doesn't work, kwc57. In the typical "problem case", a county has a horrifying crime and the sheriff hauls in the local mental defective and extracts a "confession". Then we go through a parody of a trial with defense counsel who might could be asleep (actual case) on drugs (actual case) missing in action (actual case) or just incompetent (many actual cases). Once the death sentence is imposed at trial, the odds of overturning it -- even with good evidence and competent appellate lawyers -- are about 1 in 250,000, so time passes, we have many meaningless appellate hearings and one day a decade or so later, we execute.

If that's justice, then I guess. Certainly is a far cry from the vigorous judicial examination and re-examination most people think goes on regarding death sentences.

Last edited:

It doesn't work, kwc57. In the typical "problem case", a county has a horrifying crime and the sheriff hauls in the local mental defective and extracts a "confession". Then we go through a parody of a trial with defense counsel who might could be asleep (actual case) on drugs (actual case) missing in action (actual case) or just incompetent (many actual cases). Once the death sentence is imposed at trial, the odds of overturning it -- even with good evidence and competent appellate lawyers -- are about 1 in 250,000, so time passes, we have many meaningless appellate hearings and one day a decade or so later, we execute.

If that's justice, then I guess. Certainly is a far cry from the vigorous judicial examination and re-examination most people think goes on regarding death sentences.

That is the exception to the rule. Does it happen? Yes. More often than not, hard evidence plays more of a role in conviction that the sheriff hauling in the local mental defective.

That is the exception to the rule. Does it happen? Yes. More often than not, hard evidence plays more of a role in conviction that the sheriff hauling in the local mental defective.

One step forward in death penalty law would be to outlaw its application unless there was solid forensic evidence of guilt. That has not happened and there's an excellent reason most death penalty convicts are poor, black and mildly retarded.

Of course, it would also be a step forward if the SCOTUS reversed and held that proof of innocence could save the life of a convict at any point in the appeals process.

Basically, I think there are too many problems and not enough upside; I support flat-out repeal.

One step forward in death penalty law would be to outlaw its application unless there was solid forensic evidence of guilt. That has not happened and there's an excellent reason most death penalty convicts are poor, black and mildly retarded.

Of course, it would also be a step forward if the SCOTUS reversed and held that proof of innocence could save the life of a convict at any point in the appeals process.

Basically, I think there are too many problems and not enough upside; I support flat-out repeal.

As I originally said, each case should be weighed on its own merits. Here is a case where the evidence is iron clad since the criminals had photos on their cell phones. Both should die slow agonizing deaths. They raped and murdered a mother and two duaghters after brutally beating the father with a baseball bat.......in 2007. It is now 2010. They should already be dead.

Evidence piles up in Hayes trial - Local News from Myrecordjournal.com

This case almost matches your criteria exactly. Three of them will be tried with the death penalty, so you don't think any of these people deserve the death penalty then? They were 'hauled' in and they confessed as well, poor things were being taken advantage of I guess.

Jennifer Daugherty, Mentally Disabled Woman, Trusted Everyone, Including Her Killers - Crimesider - CBS News

kwc57, I was at Florida's Death Penalty Appeals Coordination Center for awhile.....long enough to be around for Oba Chandler's execution, and a few others. You dun need to convince me, some people need killing.

But state sanctioned death sentences make murderers out of all of us. DAs who routinely seek the death penalty to advance their careers and governors who refuse pardons that should be granted because it isn't politically expedient are not killing for high lofty reasons. Executions have no deterrant effect on crime. The innocent are without a doubt also executed, along with far more whose eligibility for a death sentence is very questionable. Worst of all, the parents and families of homicide victims are drug through a decades-long process that nearly kills them. And it costs us far too much.

I support repeal.

This case almost matches your criteria exactly. Three of them will be tried with the death penalty, so you don't think any of these people deserve the death penalty then? They were 'hauled' in and they confessed as well, poor things were being taken advantage of I guess.

Jennifer Daugherty, Mentally Disabled Woman, Trusted Everyone, Including Her Killers - Crimesider - CBS News

They prolly deserve to die by drawing and quartering, Newby....but what exactly do you think we get from executions we could not get from LWOP?

They prolly deserve to die by drawing and quartering, Newby....but what exactly do you think we get from executions we could not get from LWOP?

Justice.

New Topics

Forum List

Back