Does anyone know why Insurance won't cover

Does anyone know why Insurance won't cover long term mental health treatment like as in facilities. It's clear that the mentally ill in our Country are screaming for help. Why did Reagan deregulate that? Why hasn't the democrats helped at all? If we can afford war in other Countries we can afford to help those mentally ill especially the homeless.

But what I am looking for is the government and insurance reasons for not covering long term care.

In the future I can see it headed towards just termination as in Euthanize mentally ill people. How do you feel about that?

They should cover it but I assume it is about dollars and cents as is everything in insurance world. My wife started her career working in an in-patient eating disorder clinic. It broke her heart that they had to toss patients out the door after 30 days usually as that was the max their insurance would cover. They would try to run the severely ill patients through ICU or CCU and treat them there as long as they could before moving them to the center as some of these patients were so emaciated that it would take months just to get their bodies working again if they could turn the corner. Some, unfortunately, couldn't survive they had done so much damage to themselves before their families or the courts forced them into treatment.

They should cover it but I assume it is about dollars and cents as is everything in insurance world. My wife started her career working in an in-patient eating disorder clinic. It broke her heart that they had to toss patients out the door after 30 days usually as that was the max their insurance would cover. They would try to run the severely ill patients through ICU or CCU and treat them there as long as they could before moving them to the center as some of these patients were so emaciated that it would take months just to get their bodies working again if they could turn the corner. Some, unfortunately, couldn't survive they had done so much damage to themselves before their families or the courts forced them into treatment.
Mind you this is going back to the mid 70's so this is a second hand story told in the family I was little so I only remember it vaguely. My great aunt was in the nuthouse , they did the electric shock treatments on her and anyway for whatever reason they let her out and she was not near in any state to be let out and she murdered mygreat uncle and then killed herself.

Anyway, as I see all the homeless people and in general the mass shooters it just seems like people are desparately needing help and everyone is ignoring it. On top of that even if they did need it and actually wanted it , it's not available.

Shouldn't we start tackling how to treat the mentally unwell and get a handle on the shooting problem and the homeless mentally ill people?

If anybody has good solutions besides euthanizing them please share.

Mind you this is going back to the mid 70's so this is a second hand story told in the family I was little so I only remember it vaguely. My great aunt was in the nuthouse , they did the electric shock treatments on her and anyway for whatever reason they let her out and she was not near in any state to be let out and she murdered mygreat uncle and then killed herself.

Anyway, as I see all the homeless people and in general the mass shooters it just seems like people are desparately needing help and everyone is ignoring it. On top of that even if they did need it and actually wanted it , it's not available.

Shouldn't we start tackling how to treat the mentally unwell and get a handle on the shooting problem and the homeless mentally ill people?

Part of the problem is that patient rights are so paramount in the mental health world that it is hard to treat people against their will and they are deemed competent at a much lower threshold than they used to be.

Again it is about the money. If insurance had no limits on mental health coverage, there would be a nuthouse on every corner in America because the money would be there. With such tight limits now, our prisons and graveyards are the only places that welcome them.

Part of the problem is the stigma associated with it. For my kids' generation there isn't as much stigma so hopefully they will do a better job in their time at addressing some of the problems we have today.

Anyway, the surge in homelessness is about drug addiction. While there is a heavy mental health component to that, the solution is going to have to be air strikes on our southern neighbors and stormtroopers taking down every lab in the US to even get the tiger by the tail. Big Pharma is going to have to be dealt with too. The FDA allows too many drugs on the market relying too heavily on those companies' word and studies.

Part of the problem is that patient rights are so paramount in the mental health world that it is hard to treat people against their will and they are deemed competent at a much lower threshold than they used to be.

Again it is about the money. If insurance had no limits on mental health coverage, there would be a nuthouse on every corner in America because the money would be there. With such tight limits now, our prisons and graveyards are the only places that welcome them.

Part of the problem is the stigma associated with it. For my kids' generation there isn't as much stigma so hopefully they will do a better job in their time at addressing some of the problems we have today.

Anyway, the surge in homelessness is about drug addiction. While there is a heavy mental health component to that, the solution is going to have to be air strikes on our southern neighbors and stormtroopers taking down every lab in the US to even get the tiger by the tail. Big Pharma is going to have to be dealt with too. The FDA allows too many drugs on the market relying too heavily on those companies' word and studies.
so basically they would rather fund medication to subdue instead of treat the root cause it sounds like to me. But I also understand that money comes into play and staying in a facility the housing the staff etc costs alot more than just medicating a person. That's sad and the toll it is taking is people sleeping on private properties homeless and mass shooters untreated, etc. It'slike this pharmacy fix isn't working.

Thanks for the full response.

Last edited:

The healthcare system is overwhelmed with patients as it is, plus doctors and nurses are fleeing the profession in droves. It's a disaster in the making. Washington has no answers either. If they did come forward with workable solutions it would cost them reelection.

The reelection of incumbent politicians is consistent with problems not being solved.

The healthcare system is overwhelmed with patients as it is, plus doctors and nurses are fleeing the profession in droves. It's a disaster in the making. Washington has no answers either. If they did come forward with workable solutions it would cost them reelection.

The reelection of incumbent politicians is consistent with problems not being solved.
No I know but we can't just keep ignoring it. Something has to change in some way I just don't know how to solve it.

No I know but we can't just keep ignoring it. Something has to change in some way I just don't know how to solve it.
The best anyone can do is to take care of themselves. If they did there would be plenty of resources available for those who really need it.

That said I believe we at the place where these problems are so bad that there are no good solutions.

The best anyone can do is to take care of themselves. If they did there would be plenty of resources available for those who really need it.

That said I believe we at the place where these problems are so bad that there are no good solutions.
Yes that's true, but in severe mental illness like psychosis or schizophrenia it's an organic disease and in many instances it is hard for those severely afflicted to even take care of themselves. I think we are in a bad state in this Country. How we take care of our vulnerable is so reflective of our human condition. This is my opinion not saying it as a factual statement.

The old ways worked fairly decently. Not 100%, but I mean, there weren't crazy starving people standing on street

corners shouting at passing traffic. Much/or for long.

So the pharmacy companies took over around that time? Is that accurate?

Yeah, pretty much that's when it went from a few miracle drugs to a new drug just about every other week.

Actually, pHARMaceuticals first started appearing about the turn of the century, when a man named Rockefeller generously endowed a group of physicians to start prescribing drugs made by his burgeoning pHARMaceutical indusry, which was the offshoot of his Standard Oil Company.

I first worked in medicine in the late 70's when a physician had a much smaller selection of drugs to prescribe from, and the first office I worked in sent a lot of custom prescriptions to the compounding pharmacy across the street, where the pharmacist actually made the prescribed drug from raw materials, long before almost all pHARMacists became just pill counters. Back then, all doctors needed to know a good deal about pharmacology. Now all doctors need to know is how to ask a computer what pill he/she needs to prescribe.

IMHO, the pHARMaceutical industry has caused the incredible amount of mental illness that we see today. But here you are talking to a woman whose husband was killed by pHARMa.

Tranquilizers have been prescribed by doctors for several thousand years, but Valium, the first blockbuster pHARMaceutical tranquilizer showed up in 1977, and the rest is history.

so basically they would rather fund medication to subdue instead of treat the root cause it sounds like to me. But I also understand that money comes into play and staying in a facility the housing the staff etc costs alot more than just medicating a person. That's sad and the toll it is taking is people sleeping on private properties homeless and mass shooters untreated, etc. It'slike this pharmacy fix isn't working.

Thanks for the full response.

I think the pharmacy fix is making it worse TBH. I know a girl who was 6 medications for 8 disorders in the 5th freaking grade. Mom goes along with it because rather than have to deal with her child just being a spoiled bratty child who doesn't want to go to school causing her problems with officials, she now gets an SSI check for her every month as long as she keeps her on the pill train. She is the worst case I know, but I know several people who have used that angle to get the authorities off their backs about there undisciplined child and make money to boot. We really have a screwed up system of healthcare and benefits in America and there is no will to do anything about either even though they are very much interconnected.

Yeah, pretty much that's when it went from a few miracle drugs to a new drug just about every other week.

Actually, pHARMaceuticals first started appearing about the turn of the century, when a man named Rockefeller generously endowed a group of physicians to start prescribing drugs made by his burgeoning pHARMaceutical indusry, which was the offshoot of his Standard Oil Company.

I first worked in medicine in the late 70's when a physician had a much smaller selection of drugs to prescribe from, and the first office I worked in sent a lot of custom prescriptions to the compounding pharmacy across the street, where the pharmacist actually made the prescribed drug from raw materials, long before almost all pHARMacists became just pill counters. Back then, all doctors needed to know a good deal about pharmacology. Now all doctors need to know is how to ask a computer what pill he/she needs to prescribe.

IMHO, the pHARMaceutical industry has caused the incredible amount of mental illness that we see today. But here you are talking to a woman whose husband was killed by pHARMa.

Tranquilizers have been prescribed by doctors for several thousand years, but Valium, the first blockbuster pHARMaceutical tranquilizer showed up in 1977, and the rest is history.

Wow that's so horrible! I am so sorry for what happened to you. I really liked reading the background of how it used to be. But am so sorry for your loss.

tranquilizer
noun

1. a medicinal drug taken to reduce tension or anxiety.
Thalidomide was first marketed in 1957 in West Germany, where it was available over the counter.[10][11] When first released, thalidomide was promoted for anxiety, trouble sleeping, "tension", and morning sickness.

Does anyone know why Insurance won't cover long term mental health treatment like as in facilities. It's clear that the mentally ill in our Country are screaming for help. Why did Reagan deregulate that? Why hasn't the democrats helped at all? If we can afford war in other Countries we can afford to help those mentally ill especially the homeless.

But what I am looking for is the government and insurance reasons for not covering long term care.

In the future I can see it headed towards just termination as in Euthanize mentally ill people. How do you feel about that?

SHUP and go back to work. Nobody wants you goldbricking around faking it in a nuthouse so you get extra Clonezpham or other. What did the caveman or Indians do. If you messed around too much you would be beat to death with a club or left out to fend for yourself I suspect. Sons of guns had a system and there was no Xanax available that much I can assure you.

Why can't mental health be covered under health insurance in general. I am not arguing I am asking what's the reason they won't? Why can't be covered under health insurance? Also why won't the government help the mentally ill homeless ?

Counseling is covered under all Health insurance I have ever had. Whatever that leads to? If they said this guy needs to be housed? maybe your insurance would cover it. But you gotta get into the first rounds of doctors.

Forum List

Back