Does anyone know why Insurance won't cover

Michelle420

Diamond Member
Jan 6, 2013
The Bee Hive State
Does anyone know why Insurance won't cover long term mental health treatment like as in facilities. It's clear that the mentally ill in our Country are screaming for help. Why did Reagan deregulate that? Why hasn't the democrats helped at all? If we can afford war in other Countries we can afford to help those mentally ill especially the homeless.

But what I am looking for is the government and insurance reasons for not covering long term care.

In the future I can see it headed towards just termination as in Euthanize mentally ill people. How do you feel about that?

Does anyone know why Insurance won't cover long term mental health treatment like as in facilities.

That's easy. Because they would all go bankrupt. There are so many people needing mental healthcare and psychology and psychiatry are such inefficient and inexact sciences taking so long to get results that all the insurance companies would be bankrupt.

Does anyone know why Insurance won't cover long term mental health treatment like as in facilities. It's clear that the mentally ill in our Country are screaming for help. Why did Reagan deregulate that? Why hasn't the democrats helped at all? If we can afford war in other Countries we can afford to help those mentally ill especially the homeless.

But what I am looking for is the government and insurance reasons for not covering long term care.

In the future I can see it headed towards just termination as in Euthanize mentally ill people. How do you feel about that?
It's not that simple.

and no one is advocating euthanasia -- it could never be implemented. Not legally.

That's easy. Because they would all go bankrupt. There are so many people needing mental healthcare and psychology and psychiatry are such inefficient and inexact sciences taking so long to get results that all the insurance companies would be bankrupt.
I don't like psychiatrists as a rule they go to medicine first almost always. But there are social workers and psychologists who can be helpful. Anyway the severely mentally ill the homeless ill the ones who need long term care. What is the actual reason given why insurance and govenrment won't cover care for those people?

Who would pay the premiums for such insurance?

I don't like psychiatrists as a rule they go to medicine first almost always. But there are social workers and psychologists who can be helpful. Anyway the severely mentally ill the homeless ill the ones who need long term care. What is the actual reason given why insurance and govenrment won't cover care for those people?
The rules that would apply to them would make such care unaffordable.

Who would pay the premiums for such insurance?
Why can't mental health be covered under health insurance in general. I am not arguing I am asking what's the reason they won't? Why can't be covered under health insurance? Also why won't the government help the mentally ill homeless ?

it is covered if you purchase long term care insurance, I have it

it is covered if you purchase long term care insurance, I have it
So if your relative is schizophrenic and needs to stay in a mental hospital is it unlmited or a time constraint. Just trying to understand why people say there is no coverage then.

Edited to add: that wouldn't help a homeless person. I wonder why the government doesn't have anything since we have so much for other groups of people.

Because Big Pharma bribed Congress to close down Mental Institutions in the 80s, claiming their "chemical restraints"

were just as good as 4 walls with padding on them.

Yeah, but the patient has to take them meds for it to work. :rolleyes-41:

And they don't.

Because Big Pharma bribed Congress to close down Mental Institutions in the 80s, claiming their "chemical restraints"

were just as good as 4 walls with padding on them.

Yeah, but the patient has to take them meds for it to work. :rolleyes-41:

And they don't.
Ok now were getting somewhere. That's why I asked. I believe that at one time it must have been covered because people got help. I had a great aunt that had to be institutionalized before deregulation. But I didn;t know how they could afford to cover it before but then somehow they coudln't when Reagan came along. Thanks for explaining it more in depth.

I don't know. I don;t have a answer. I only have questions.

Just think of when health insurance became a thing, back in the 30's or 40's. Mental illness was very rare back then. I remember it was still fairly rare even into the 70's. I remember accompanying a friend of mine to the hospital to visit a friend of hers who was in inpatient psych, and it was the first time I'd ever been been anywhere near someone who was technically "mentally ill".

Then the pHARMa industry discovered anti-depressants in the late80's or early 90's, and of course they had to find a market for their new wonder drugs and TA-DAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Suddenly it was fashionable to be depressed! Everybody who was anybody was doing it!

I guess the insurance industry just hasn't caught up yet.

Just think of when health insurance became a thing, back in the 30's or 40's. Mental illness was very rare back then. I remember it was still fairly rare even into the 70's. I remember accompanying a friend of mine to the hospital to visit a friend of hers who was in inpatient psych, and it was the first time I'd ever been been anywhere near someone who was technically "mentally ill".

Then the pHARMa industry discovered anti-depressants in the late80's or early 90's, and of course they had to find a market for their new wonder drugs and TA-DAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Suddenly it was fashionable to be depressed! Everybody who was anybody was doing it!

I guess the insurance industry just hasn't caught up yet.

So the pharmacy companies took over around that time? Is that accurate?

Ok now were getting somewhere. That's why I asked. I believe that at one time it must have been covered because people got help. I had a great aunt that had to be institutionalized before deregulation. But I didn;t know how they could afford to cover it before but then somehow they coudln't when Reagan came along. Thanks for explaining it more in depth.
Mental institutions were largely run by the states. There were state and fed subsidies for some private group homes as well.

There still is some of the latter, I think.

The states got funding for it from state taxes or fed taxes or some other way?
Largely State taxes. Each state was responsible for their own schools and Mental Institutions.

That was a big selling point to doing away with the institutions. I think it was a mistake.

Nikolas Cruz would have been in Chattahoochee and not able to kill a bunch of kids.

Forum List

Back