Does anyone know why Insurance won't cover

In order to help the mentally ill homeless, the government would have to bring them into a facility to dry them out, and the homeless do not want to be taken in.

Courts have ruled that crazy people have a right to live like crazy people. So they remain on the streets untreated. I hate that, but if the alternative is for the government to be able to decide who is mentally unfit for freedom, I'm not sure which option is worse.
Your reply is honest and I feel the same way I want to help people and wish there was abetter solution but don;t want enforcement with no rights either. But dang it we need a new solution or go back to what the duke said to how it was before. I don't have the answers so I just pray for someone to fix this and I pray for the condition our Country and humans are in that we may receive help and mercy.

All plans must cover:
  • Behavioral health treatment, such as psychotherapy and counseling
  • Mental and behavioral health inpatient services
  • Substance use disorder (commonly known as substance abuse) treatment
Your specific behavioral health benefits will depend on your state and the health plan you choose. You’ll see a full list of what each plan covers, including behavioral health benefits, when you compare plans in the Marketplace.
What about homelss people are people severely mentally ill who have no job or insurance. Those are th ones who need it the most imo.

If there were less insurance fraud...

I once was overcharged for a hernia surgery because the lead surgeon brought a doctor onto the operating team who wasn't covered by my policy; thus I was billed for her services. I notified the hospital and they reduced my bill, by $1700. This was insurance fraud by the hospital. I had to obtain all the names of the surgical team and corroborate with my insurance company that they were preferred providers. That's how I discovered that the woman doctor wasn't. The hospital billing department had no clue this was happening.
Wow! Thats messed up. I can't imagine the stress of that situation and then you were put in the position of having to resolve ther shady practices.

Wow! Thats messed up. I can't imagine the stress of that situation and then you were put in the position of having to resolve ther shady practices.
Sadly, such fraud is now baked into many areas of the economy. What our politicians need to do is explain that such widespread fraud is the main reason why there isn't enough money to deal with these societal problems.

I have been lambasted on yahoo boards in the early 2000s' for suggesting lockup in Desert Tent cities out west. As poster says above, clean them up for 90 days and find out who can be saved. Then try to get them working again or living again somewhat normal. Many many 30-50 yr olds can't go a month w/o a paycheck or they are on the streets. Living in CA paycheck to paycheck barely making it. It is a rough time out there at this cost of living. My first $60 fill up recently occurred. Fillups were $20 - $25 dollars in the Trump years. $40-$50 under Obiden 1.0. It is $4.98 now for a bag of Doritos to cram in my Dorito chute. Rents? don't ask.

I have been lambasted on yahoo boards in the early 2000s' for suggesting lockup in Desert Tent cities out west. As poster says above, clean them up for 90 days and find out who can be saved. Then try to get them working again or living again somewhat normal. Many many 30-50 yr olds can't go a month w/o a paycheck or they are on the streets. Living in CA paycheck to paycheck barely making it. It is a rough time out there at this cost of living. My first $60 fill up recently occurred. Fillups were $20 - $25 dollars in the Trump years. $40-$50 under Obiden 1.0. It is $4.98 now for a bag of Doritos to cram in my Dorito chute. Rents? don't ask.
Tent cities are normal for the military. I spent lots of time in them in the Army. Not bad if the weather isn't too extreme. We had electricity and plenty of water. Tent sides were rolled up during the day, down at night. Cots to sleep on. Didn't like the latrine facilities much though, no porta-potties in those days.

Last edited:
This seems like a good idea. I think it could work great and then the rare ones who trul are severely mentally ill could get help while the others can get rehabilitated into society.

Tent cities are normal for the military. I spent lots of time in them in the Army. Not bad if the weather isn't too extreme. We had electricity and plenty of water. Tent sides were rolled up during the day, down at night. Cots to sleep on. Didn't like the latrine facilities much though, no porta-potties in those days.
I did not know how they operated but sounds like a plan that has been sustainable.

What about homelss people are people severely mentally ill who have no job or insurance. Those are th ones who need it the most imo.
Well, I agree. If someone could help the ones in the states that expanded Medicaid to sign up then it may help them. Some homeless on ssdi and depending on how much their annual income is a year may qualify for a market place plan. That is a long shot though.

So if your relative is schizophrenic and needs to stay in a mental hospital is it unlmited or a time constraint. Just trying to understand why people say there is no coverage then.

Edited to add: that wouldn't help a homeless person. I wonder why the government doesn't have anything since we have so much for other groups of people.
not my relative, for me, wife has it through her employer just like I do

One of the problems is that government largess always comes with a price, and often people on the fringe often don't want to pay that price. Often that's why they're on the fringe.

The "price", from the perspective of the recipients, isn't the tax bill. It's the inevitable pressure to "reform" themselves to fit society's vision of how they should live.

Forum List

Back