Does anyone drink 8 glasses of water a day?

i have a few 22 oz bottles & the 1st one i guzzle down 1/2 hr after coffee & the other 2 thru out the day.
I have a water bottle I can't find right now but it is I believe 128 oz. or 172 oz., something crazy for a days drinking, and there are lines on it indictating an hour of the day, and by the time that hour of the day is at hand, your water bottle should be at that line, and there are little encouraging messages on each line, like "good job, halfway there!" and "keep going, you're almost 3/4 of the way finished!" until you hit that last line. I still have never driank the whole bottle in a single day. You can get these on Amazon.

Just FYI, eight 8 oz glasses of water is a half a gallon. Does anyone drink this much water every day? I've been trying to drink more water but 4 or 5 glasses is about all I can drink per day before I feel bloated. I wonder if there is any scientific basis for this "recommendation" of 8 glasses per day? I can't find any.
I actually find it impossible

Just FYI, eight 8 oz glasses of water is a half a gallon. Does anyone drink this much water every day? I've been trying to drink more water but 4 or 5 glasses is about all I can drink per day before I feel bloated. I wonder if there is any scientific basis for this "recommendation" of 8 glasses per day? I can't find any.
Some "experts" say that the water we get in fruits and vegetables and in other foods can be counted toward that 8-glass quota.

Depending on your age and activities, 8 glasses of just pure water may or may not be a good idea.

It is difficult to know whom to believe.

Some "experts" say that the water we get in fruits and vegetables and in other foods can be counted toward that 8-glass quota.

Depending on your age and activities, 8 glasses of just pure water may or may not be a good idea.

Too much can be bad for your kidneys, it will dilute the sodium content in your blood, but I doubt that is a problem for very many people, most don't drink enough water. I always know I'm drinking enough when urine is clear. That's a good sign.

A common misconception is water is absorbed through your skin. False. Water is absorbed by the top layer of your skin, but that is as far as it goes and eventually evaporates. bathing or showering do not hydrate you, unless you drink the water.

I drink a minimum of 64 oz. of purified water daily.

My dogs do.
FB_IMG_1698361565675.jpg

I probably drink at least an entire gallon a day. Can’t imagine drinking just 4-5 glasses a day

Speaking as a self taught dietician out of necessity because of all the food allergies, intolerances, other health issues etc. of the people I regularly feed, it really depends on your height, weight, and physical activity level.

On average 64 ounces fluid intake (8 8-oz containers) is the bench mark but it doesn't have to be in the form of water. The liquid content of veggies, fruit, coffee etc. can also be factored in. A large serving of watermelon can easily contain a cup of fluid. (Watermelon is 80+% water.) People who are more active will need more fluid--generally will WANT more fluid--than those who are sedentary. Four or five 8 ounces of water in addition to everything else is probably okay.

But it isn't okay to forego water entirely. Those who get most or all of their liquid intake from tea, coffee, soda, juices, milk, beer and such won't die of dehydration but will not have optimum health either.
Few ever experience "optimum health" in their lifetime, so it doesn't matter much. In fact, seeking optimum health, if properly understood, would terrify most people.

Any amount in excess of what you need is just another burden on your body.

Too much can be bad for your kidneys, it will dilute the sodium content in your blood, but I doubt that is a problem for very many people, most don't drink enough water. I always know I'm drinking enough when urine is clear. That's a good sign.
Clear urine is a bad sign. It means that your kidneys are removing excess water from your body instead of waste products.

Actually, how much water you should consume daily differs between physicians. I don't come close to eight 8oz. glasses per day and my kidneys have been doing fine. We are after all, individuals.

Actually, how much water you should consume daily differs between physicians. I don't come close to eight 8oz. glasses per day and my kidneys have been doing fine. We are after all, individuals.
I drink almost no straight water and I'm doing fine. I get my hydration from coffee, beer, milk, fruit and other foods.

Your overall size is going to dictate how much water you can/should drink.

A 300lb 6’1” man is going to need more water than a 110lb 5’2” woman, obviously

It’s not one size fits all

i drink 8 ..8 oz glasses a day..the combo of bladder cancer and diabetes ...if you have ever seen the blood of a diabetic when they dehydrate ...it becomes sludge like

water is important anyway ….

I drink about 2 liters of water every day. 67 oz? If some days I don't really feel like it I can put in a few drops of lemon or use the soda stream (carbonated) just to make it more tasty. But if you feel bloated I wonder if you're just not urinating as often as you should.

I don't count my water intake.

Most of the foods I eat are literally 90% water or more ( fruits, vegetables) I just listen to my body and drink when I need to

Forum List

Back