Does anyone drink 8 glasses of water a day?

Just FYI, eight 8 oz glasses of water is a half a gallon. Does anyone drink this much water every day? I've been trying to drink more water but 4 or 5 glasses is about all I can drink per day before I feel bloated. I wonder if there is any scientific basis for this "recommendation" of 8 glasses per day? I can't find any.
Speaking as a self taught dietician out of necessity because of all the food allergies, intolerances, other health issues etc. of the people I regularly feed, it really depends on your height, weight, and physical activity level.

On average 64 ounces fluid intake (8 8-oz containers) is the bench mark but it doesn't have to be in the form of water. The liquid content of veggies, fruit, coffee etc. can also be factored in. A large serving of watermelon can easily contain a cup of fluid. (Watermelon is 80+% water.) People who are more active will need more fluid--generally will WANT more fluid--than those who are sedentary. Four or five 8 ounces of water in addition to everything else is probably okay.

But it isn't okay to forego water entirely. Those who get most or all of their liquid intake from tea, coffee, soda, juices, milk, beer and such won't die of dehydration but will not have optimum health either.

I cut way back on my beer intake and replaced it with ice water with a splash of tart cherry juice.... I feel better my lipid numbers are better and I've lost some belly fat....

Just FYI, eight 8 oz glasses of water is a half a gallon. Does anyone drink this much water every day? I've been trying to drink more water but 4 or 5 glasses is about all I can drink per day before I feel bloated. I wonder if there is any scientific basis for this "recommendation" of 8 glasses per day? I can't find any.
Thirst Comes First

I was dehydrated on a patrol in Vietnam, where a dozen other Marines and I also suffered from sunstroke and had to be evacuated. Back at base, I drank 3 gallons of water, twelve quart-canteens one after another. Ever since, I've had to take at least a sip of water every fifteen minutes. I suggest using bottled water instead of the fluoridated stuff, which gets icky after awhile.

I can drink eight glasses of beer per day.

I think that the same "scientist" that came up with that has a brother that determined Pluto was no longer a planet. ;)

Jokes aside I drink about 80 ounces a day.

As a odd aside have you ever noticed that Gatorade goes down "smoother" than water? I got so it's what I use to take my pills with.

Speaking as a self taught dietician out of necessity because of all the food allergies, intolerances, other health issues etc. of the people I regularly feed, it really depends on your height, weight, and physical activity level.

On average 64 ounces fluid intake (8 8-oz containers) is the bench mark but it doesn't have to be in the form of water. The liquid content of veggies, fruit, coffee etc. can also be factored in. A large serving of watermelon can easily contain a cup of fluid. (Watermelon is 80+% water.) People who are more active will need more fluid--generally will WANT more fluid--than those who are sedentary. Four or five 8 ounces of water in addition to everything else is probably okay.

But it isn't okay to forego water entirely. Those who get most or all of their liquid intake from tea, coffee, soda, juices, milk, beer and such won't die of dehydration but will not have optimum health either.
The only time I ever passed out was after running a marathon. I foolishly passed up the last 2 water stops because there was a time I was trying to achieve and I didn't "feel" that thirsty. After the race I was talking to some friends and the next thing I remember I was in the med tent on an IV drip!

The only time I ever passed out was after running a marathon. I foolishly passed up the last 2 water stops because there was a time I was trying to achieve and I didn't "feel" that thirsty. After the race I was talking to some friends and the next thing I remember I was in the med tent on an IV drip!
Yes. People don't take dehydration seriously enough. I usually feel pretty good but the times that I just feel generally yucky, nothing specific just yucky, and I think about it, it's usually because I've allowed myself to get hydrated. A good drink of water usually clears things up pretty quickly. (I live in the high desert where humidity is naturally very low and dehydration can sneak up on you before you know it.)

Yes. People don't take dehydration seriously enough. I usually feel pretty good but the times that I just feel generally yucky, nothing specific just yucky, and I think about it, it's usually because I've allowed myself to get hydrated. A good drink of water usually clears things up pretty quickly. (I live in the high desert where humidity is naturally very low and dehydration can sneak up on you before you know it.)
I started a new habit of drinking 16 oz of water with a little gatorade powder before my first coffee. I figure after 8 hours of sleep you're probably pretty dehydrated.

I drink way more than that. I have to. After cutting weight for so many years in my youth, I now grow kidney stones like mushrooms in a dark forest.

I get about that in.

Too old to drink sugar.

You would be surprised to find out how easy this is to do if you just fill up a 64 oz bottle of water every morning and make sure it’s empty before you go to bed.

That’s the trick, some larger bottles have the ounces listed on the bottle next to times of the day as a reminder to drink

Also I’ve heard your first 3 cups of coffee count as water before becoming a diuretic

I only drink water. So I drink more I think about 10 - 12 8 oz

You would be surprised to find out how easy this is to do if you just fill up a 64 oz bottle of water every morning and make sure it’s empty before you go to bed.

That’s the trick, some larger bottles have the ounces listed on the bottle next to times of the day as a reminder to drink

Also I’ve heard your first 3 cups of coffee count as water before becoming a diuretic

i have a few 22 oz bottles & the 1st one i guzzle down 1/2 hr after coffee & the other 2 thru out the day.

Forum List

Back