Does anyone drink 8 glasses of water a day?

MarathonMike

Diamond Member
Dec 30, 2014
The Southwestern Desert
Just FYI, eight 8 oz glasses of water is a half a gallon. Does anyone drink this much water every day? I've been trying to drink more water but 4 or 5 glasses is about all I can drink per day before I feel bloated. I wonder if there is any scientific basis for this "recommendation" of 8 glasses per day? I can't find any.

On a 10-hour day on the job site in the summer I would drink a gallon. I know that because that was the size of my water jug. For an office or indoor worker, I think a 1/2 gal. would be a bit much unless you are really active like in a shop with no A.C. . When I carried 5 gal. water keg on my truck by the end of a 10 hour day it would be all gone that's with a 5 man crew.

Just FYI, eight 8 oz glasses of water is a half a gallon. Does anyone drink this much water every day? I've been trying to drink more water but 4 or 5 glasses is about all I can drink per day before I feel bloated. I wonder if there is any scientific basis for this "recommendation" of 8 glasses per day? I can't find any.
Drink enough to keep the kidneys in working order.
I certainly can't drink as much as they recommend.
Does beer count?

NHS including Eatwell Guide which Americans should read when sitting down

The Eatwell Guide recommends that people should aim to drink 6 to 8 cups or glasses of fluid a day. Water, lower-fat milk and sugar-free drinks, including tea and coffee, all count.

You may need to drink more fluids if you're:
MIKE ? pregnant or breastfeeding

Drink enough to keep the kidneys in working order.
I certainly can't drink as much as they recommend.
Does beer count?

Don't forget to count the water your skin absorbs through the skin from bathing and washing. :SMILEW~130:

As with all things, I know that the body regulates itself and when it needs water, you get thirsty, whereas these government standards as usual are likely highly flawed and do not take into account the water we take in other than drinking glasses of water out of the tap!

I mean, who sits there drinking full glasses of water if they aren't even thirsty unless on some crazy water diet?

Can you imagine ancient man taking in 8 glasses of water a day on top of meals? Not only does that dilute digestive juices and flush important minerals, but ancient man was lucky just to get the food and water needed to survive much less stop every two hours just to gulp down a big tumbler full of water.

Maybe the Egyptians drank that much water building the Pyramids for the Pharaoh.

I wonder if there is any scientific basis for this "recommendation" of 8 glasses per day? I can't find any.
I looked it up. .. that news is even worse.

It appears that they want us to do closer to 10 a day? (More according to US heath authorities. wtf?)

1700506251861.png

According to this "science?" They want us to drink fifteen cups a day. . . :rolleyes:

1700506603451.png

3. Why are Human Water Requirements Elusive?​

"To maintain normal physiological functions (e.g.., blood pressure, pH, internal body temperature) and optimal health, and to deliver essential substances (e.g., oxygen, water, glucose, sodium, potassium) to cells, the CNS and neuroendocrine hormones act constantly to preserve internal homeostasis via a complex network of many organ and neural systems. Figure 1 presents several CNS-regulated variables which are relevant to body water balance. Each of these variables is simultaneously: (a) maintained (i.e., within the circulatory system or fluid compartments of the body) at a specific set point (e.g., a threshold beyond which the intensity of neuroendocrine responses increases ); and (b) constantly changing throughout the human life span in response to water and food intake, urine production, and non-renal water losses. Because of these fluctuations, human body water regulation is also dynamic. Therefore, we utilize the phrase dynamic complexity to refer to a constantly changing, vastly integrated regulatory mechanism [56]. This dynamic complexity is amplified by interconnected fluid compartments (i.e., intracellular, interstitial, extracellular, circulatory), organ systems (Table 3), neural plasticity (i.e., adaptations), and interactions of the physical processes (i.e., osmotic and oncotic pressure, simple diffusion, active transport) which govern water and electrolyte movements throughout the body."

86p0kv.jpg

This dynamic complexity (Table 3, Figure 1) represents the primary reason why the daily water requirements of humans have not been determined to this date (Table 1). We provide the following evidence in support of this statement:

• The relative influence of physiological processes which maintain water balance (Table 3) varies with different life scenarios. During sedentary daily activities in a mild environment, renal responses and thirst are the primary homeostatic regulators. During continuous-intermittent labor, or prolonged exercise at low intensities (5–18h duration), renal responses and thirst have minor-to-large effects on water regulation, whereas sweat loss presents the foremost challenge to homeostasis [56].
  • Large between- and within-subject variances (i.e., of the variables in Table 3) make it difficult to determine a water requirement for all persons within a life stage (Table 1). As an example, Figure 2 illustrates the large between-subject variance of habitual TWI that exists in healthy young women (range, <1.0 to >4.5 L/24h) [13]. A large range of habitual TWI (0.6–5.2 L/24h) has also been reported for women during pregnancy [57]. Similarly, the third National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey [5] reported that the 1st decile and 10th decile of the mean TWI were 1.7–7.9 L/24h for men (n = 3,091) and 1.3–6.1 L/24h for women (n = 2,801). An example of large within-subject variability is also seen in the day-to-day differences of sweat losses that are experienced by athletes [24]. Total sweat loss during sedentary work activity (e.g., 8h of computer programming in an air-conditioned environment) may amount to <0.2 L/24h, whereas the total sweat volume during a 164-km ultradistance cycling event often exceeds 9 L during a 9-h ride [42]. . . "
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/core/l...p=PMC3&id=6315424_nutrients-10-01928-g002.jpg

(etc. . more egg head speck, you can click the link if you are interested. IOW, it is variable & elusive.)

I looked it up. .. that news is even worse.

It appears that they want us to do closer to 10 a day? (More according to US heath authorities. wtf?)

View attachment 861348

According to this "science?" They want us to drink fifteen cups a day. . . :rolleyes:

View attachment 861353

3. Why are Human Water Requirements Elusive?​

"To maintain normal physiological functions (e.g.., blood pressure, pH, internal body temperature) and optimal health, and to deliver essential substances (e.g., oxygen, water, glucose, sodium, potassium) to cells, the CNS and neuroendocrine hormones act constantly to preserve internal homeostasis via a complex network of many organ and neural systems. Figure 1 presents several CNS-regulated variables which are relevant to body water balance. Each of these variables is simultaneously: (a) maintained (i.e., within the circulatory system or fluid compartments of the body) at a specific set point (e.g., a threshold beyond which the intensity of neuroendocrine responses increases ); and (b) constantly changing throughout the human life span in response to water and food intake, urine production, and non-renal water losses. Because of these fluctuations, human body water regulation is also dynamic. Therefore, we utilize the phrase dynamic complexity to refer to a constantly changing, vastly integrated regulatory mechanism [56]. This dynamic complexity is amplified by interconnected fluid compartments (i.e., intracellular, interstitial, extracellular, circulatory), organ systems (Table 3), neural plasticity (i.e., adaptations), and interactions of the physical processes (i.e., osmotic and oncotic pressure, simple diffusion, active transport) which govern water and electrolyte movements throughout the body."

86p0kv.jpg

This dynamic complexity (Table 3, Figure 1) represents the primary reason why the daily water requirements of humans have not been determined to this date (Table 1). We provide the following evidence in support of this statement:

• The relative influence of physiological processes which maintain water balance (Table 3) varies with different life scenarios. During sedentary daily activities in a mild environment, renal responses and thirst are the primary homeostatic regulators. During continuous-intermittent labor, or prolonged exercise at low intensities (5–18h duration), renal responses and thirst have minor-to-large effects on water regulation, whereas sweat loss presents the foremost challenge to homeostasis [56].
  • Large between- and within-subject variances (i.e., of the variables in Table 3) make it difficult to determine a water requirement for all persons within a life stage (Table 1). As an example, Figure 2 illustrates the large between-subject variance of habitual TWI that exists in healthy young women (range, <1.0 to >4.5 L/24h) [13]. A large range of habitual TWI (0.6–5.2 L/24h) has also been reported for women during pregnancy [57]. Similarly, the third National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey [5] reported that the 1st decile and 10th decile of the mean TWI were 1.7–7.9 L/24h for men (n = 3,091) and 1.3–6.1 L/24h for women (n = 2,801). An example of large within-subject variability is also seen in the day-to-day differences of sweat losses that are experienced by athletes [24]. Total sweat loss during sedentary work activity (e.g., 8h of computer programming in an air-conditioned environment) may amount to <0.2 L/24h, whereas the total sweat volume during a 164-km ultradistance cycling event often exceeds 9 L during a 9-h ride [42]. . . "
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/core/lw/2.0/html/tileshop_pmc/tileshop_pmc_inline.html?title=Click on image to zoom&p=PMC3&id=6315424_nutrients-10-01928-g002.jpg

(etc. . more egg head speck, you can click the link if you are interested. IOW, it is variable & elusive.)
That's crazy! The only time I ever drank 8 or more glasses of water in a day was during heavy training days for marathon running. And I'm over 200 pounds how would an average size person drink anywhere near that!

Somehow

I used to. I found out that after a week or two of making myself drink that much, my body started demanding that amount. Then I had to take a pHARMa product that depleted my sodium so I had to stop drinking so much water.

I drink about a gallon of water a day. However, I have 2 cups of coffee in the morning, which I am not including, and all I drink besides coffee is water. Sometimes in the evening I have one alcoholic drink, but not regularly.
Pretty much all I drink is water.
I live in a desert, when it's hot out I might drink 2 gallons of water if I am out working.

That's a good point, maybe you get "partial credit" for all drinks.

It should. Water is water. Whatever water you take in, be it from the water in fresh vegetables of a tossed salad to the water in Kahlua, it is all water and processed as water by the body. Someone suggested it doesn't count if a sugar drink, but there is sugar in everything, people put sugar in their coffee, there is sugar in fruit juice, I don't buy it that the water doesn't count if there is sugar present.

Basically, all water extracted from our intake is the one substance that needs no metabolic digestion. It is just absorbed.

This is what I had in mind

Water requirements are arbitrary as no one can know a person's activity, location or weight. If you are fat, if you work in a hot environment, what else you eat, your activity level, all affect water needs. Basically, other than hydration for tissue pressure and various metabolic processes, adequate water intake mainly aids in digestion and maintaining/regulating a soft stool.

In many cultures, people NEVER drink water. My grandfather-in-law came to the U.S. from Italy in his early seventies. Claimed he never drank a glass of water in his life. Wine and tea. That's it, and not much of it, either.

I never drink water, but I probably drink a couple quarts of iced tea and coffee every day. I bike now and used to be a runner. Never in my life did I load up on fluid before exercising even though I sweat profusely in warm weather. Never had a problem.

This water thing...I just don't buy it. Look at people in their nineties in nursing homes - never made it a point to drink water or anything else, for the sake of fluid intake.

Incentive to drink a six pack of beer a day

Doctors orders

Didn't some actress almost kill herself recently doing that because it lowered her salt levels too far

Forum List

Back